Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Sako Carbonlight

I am thinking about purchasing a Sako Carbonlight. I am having a tough time selecting the caliber and as this is such an expensive gun its likey I only had one kick of the can on this one. I have 2 Sako 85's already, a Black Bear in a 30/06 and a Kodiak in a 338 WM. I am thinking that A 7 mm Rem Mag is a great caliber for the mountain rifle (Carbonlight) and I can trade or sell the 30/06 to get a 7mm-08.

I had contemplated the 260 Rem and the 7mm-08, but feel they don't have enough punch after the 400 yard mark (Rarely shoot that far when hunting, but like the capacity to do so). In addition, its nice to have the extra oomph should I cross paths with a Grizzly out in the mountains.

The gun would be used for Elk and Sheep, if I did go with the 7mm-08 Sheep and Deer

thoughts?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 AM

Default Sako

7 mm R.E.M. Mag is the only caliber to use. Go buy it
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM

I'm a big fan of lightweight rifles, but in standard calibers. 6.2 lbs bare (7 Mag version) probably 7.5-8 lbs scoped and loaded. Have you ever fired a 7 Rem Mag in that weight class? Some can, some can't. I wouldn't want to. You already have a black bear which has significant overlap...I'd be surprised if you managed to save more than one pound total difference between the 7 mag carbon and your 30-06. The other 2 (260 and 7-08) would be better suited and significantly lighter, probably in the 6-6.5 lb range finished, and that fills a different spot in the lineup. with the right bullet all are fully capable at 400.

Another thing to consider, is the carbonlight really worth the price? $4g + for an 85 with a carbon stock...? You're into cooper or custom territory at that price, and just a little short of NULA, MOA etc. which gives you a lot more options and will outshoot any factory Sako.

There's nothing wrong with the carbonlight. And if that's what you want, because you want it, don't let me or anyone tell you otherwise. Just make sure you run the numbers so you are happy with your decision.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 AM

The thing that I really don't like about the carbonlight, is the abnormally long LOP. My friend bought one that measures almost 14-1/2". It did limit his options for mounting a scope with the proper eye relief.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM

What's the weight and price tag on this rifle? I have the browning X bolt carbon fibre stainless fluted. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds and the price tag was right around $1200 at bashaw sports a couple years ago. That leaves some scratch left over for pretty good optics to top it with. Mine is chambered in a 300wsm, it shoots nice and felt recoil is very managable with the factory pad.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
What's the weight and price tag on this rifle? I have the browning X bolt carbon fibre stainless fluted. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds and the price tag was right around $1200 at bashaw sports a couple years ago. That leaves some scratch left over for pretty good optics to top it with. Mine is chambered in a 300wsm, it shoots nice and felt recoil is very managable with the factory pad.
Carbonlight: $3900 + or -, pre tax, 1 moa (1 inch) guarantee
Short action: 20 inch barrel, 5 lbs
Long action: 24 inch barrel, 6.2 lbs

For comparison - NULA: $4400 cad + tax and shipping, short action 5 lbs, usually a 1/2 inch gun.
MOA: $4500-7500, pick your flavor. Guaranteed 1/2 inch. There's obviously others in this range as well, but it shows how close the carbonlight comes in price to a true top end rig. We're a few steps above the xbolt. Lightweight sheep rifles are expensive.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 PM

There's no doubt high end sheep rifles are expensive and that the X bolt does not fit into this catagory, but if you're on a budget for the $2500 + price difference you could shave alot more than 1.2 pounds off a pack weight.
I've never shot the Sako Carbon lite but I did have a Sako 85 Finnlite in a 270wsm for 2 seasons and I can tell you that my current X bolt 300wsm is alot more pleasant to shoot.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Appreciate that thoughts, have a couple things to add into the discussion. I have had an xbolt 300WM with the Dura Touch finish (real tree) and while it's not the carbon fibre I would imagine the guns handled the same. I loved the feel but not the rifle. I found it only liked 165 GMX and it had significant muzzle lift on firing. It jerked instead of rolled and I find the Sako's to be superior in the few and action.

I have not shoot a 7mm that light, but as you referenced I do have the black bear in the 30-06 and I have shot a finnlight in 7mm. You feel it at the range after a couple boxes of shells, but I can handle the push and don't mind it.

I line the idea of custom and have been considering it. The issue is I have not shot those guns and have not even held them. I have no comfort is handing out that kind of cash without at least knowing the product. In addition I am comfortable with the mechanics of the Sako andit would allow me to transition between guns without much hassle.

Finally, it's the feel of the stock I am after, I don't know of a comparable. If any of you do, please let me know.

Last edited by Xbolt300wm; 09-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
There's no doubt high end sheep rifles are expensive and that the X bolt does not fit into this catagory, but if you're on a budget for the $2500 + price difference you could shave alot more than 1.2 pounds off a pack weight.
I've never shot the Sako Carbon lite but I did have a Sako 85 Finnlite in a 270wsm for 2 seasons and I can tell you that my current X bolt 300wsm is alot more pleasant to shoot.
You're absolutely right. $2500 goes a long ways towards upgrading gear, but if the OP wants himself a nice fancy lightweight sheep rifle, that's the price, and I won't tell him any different. Maybe he already has the best backpacking gear.

I'll throw this in there just for fun...my savage lightweight hunter weighs 7 lbs ready to hunt, shoots 1 MOA three shot groups to 300 yards with factory Barnes, and cost $1000 all in. Drives the rich guys bonkers but it's "cheap and ugly" and not fit for this thread. To each their own
Old 09-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The thing that I really don't like about the carbonlight, is the abnormally long LOP. My friend bought one that measures almost 14-1/2". It did limit his options for mounting a scope with the proper eye relief.
How did your friend feel about the rifle otherwise. Certainly the eye relief is an area of concern given the caliber and expected usage (possible shooting uphill on an incline).
Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 PM

6.5 swede or 308, dont need any extra in lgt.wgt.rifle
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM

I've had a couple finnlights and regardless of the caliber I found the very jumpy and a much sharper recoil if that makes any sense. Found them much harder to shoot accurately as well. Just my observation though.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 PM

Corlanes is having a sale on them now, I do think the 7mm-08 is the direction I am headed.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt300wm View Post
Corlanes is having a sale on them now, I do think the 7mm-08 is the direction I am headed.
I think that's a really good decision. What's the sale price on them?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
How did your friend feel about the rifle otherwise. Certainly the eye relief is an area of concern given the caliber and expected usage (possible shooting uphill on an incline).
He sold it before even firing it due to the LOP.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
i think that's a really good decision. What's the sale price on them?
$3299
Old 09-22-2017, 01:02 AM

I've had a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308. That muzzle brake does wonders, it is noisy but you dont feel any recoil at all.
Did not need so many guns but now sorry I sold it
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
For a 5 lb rifle I think that'd be a great cartridge. If you decide to go with this set up I hope you'll post up what your thoughts are on it and how it shoots once you've had a chance to put it through the trials.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
For a 5 lb rifle I think that'd be a great cartridge. If you decide to go with this set up I hope you'll post up what your thoughts are on it and how it shoots once you've had a chance to put it through the trials.
I will, I put a deposit on one yesterday so I am pretty committed. I told the guy I wanted to sleep on it. The conversation we had on the phone was broad about the different calibers available and I can tell you that the feedback I got was the 7 mm R.E.M. Mag was popular at Corlanes in the carbonlight and had recieved a lot of positive feedback. We also discussed the 6.5x55, which seem to be the ballistic equivilant to the 7mm-08 in the same way that the 30-06 and the 308 are compared. Not exact, but close enough that it's personal choice.

Also feel a bit like I may not have spent enough time contemplating the 270, a gun rich in sheep hunting lore and jack O'conners go to.

I must admit, I dislike somewhat ambiguous decisions that have a high cost associated with it.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He sold it before even firing it due to the LOP.
It appears to me that the LOP is in line with other Sako 85 products 14.25 inches vs 14. I specifically looked up the Sako Kodiak and am assuming it's representative. Does this mean your friend is not a fan of he LOP of all Sako products ? The difference in LOP is around 1.8%, which seems marginal to me, but I am still learning and could be underestimating the issue.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM

I'm curious what recoil pad it has on it. If it's the hockey puck type like was on my Kodiak I'd find someone who could replace it with one that actually mitigates recoil. Ultralight rifles are known to not be easy to shoot well. Personally I'd go with the 270 vs the 08 calibers as a little more barrel weight helps in settling a rifle in. It's a classic for a reason.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
I'm curious what recoil pad it has on it. If it's the hockey puck type like was on my Kodiak I'd find someone who could replace it with one that actually mitigates recoil. Ultralight rifles are known to not be easy to shoot well. Personally I'd go with the 270 vs the 08 calibers as a little more barrel weight helps in settling a rifle in. It's a classic for a reason.
I had considered that, it would have been a $670 premium as the sale is only on the 308, 260 and 7mm-08. I know the Carbonlight is an expensive piece of equipment, but I am price sensitive and welcomed the relief in price.

I have purchased it at this point (7mm-08) and am now awaiting its arrival.

now, to get the bolt fluted or not.. not a decision for today and I want to push some shells through it first... but its a near future decision.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Congrats on your purchase. I think it's worth the price you got it for, seems more realistic for what it is. Hope to see this thread updated when you get a chance to try it out.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I will, I put a deposit on one yesterday so I am pretty committed. I told the guy I wanted to sleep on it. The conversation we had on the phone was broad about the different calibers available and I can tell you that the feedback I got was the 7 mm R.E.M. Mag was popular at Corlanes in the carbonlight and had recieved a lot of positive feedback. We also discussed the 6.5x55, which seem to be the ballistic equivilant to the 7mm-08 in the same way that the 30-06 and the 308 are compared. Not exact, but close enough that it's personal choice.

Also feel a bit like I may not have spent enough time contemplating the 270, a gun rich in sheep hunting lore and jack O'conners go to.

I must admit, I dislike somewhat ambiguous decisions that have a high cost associated with it.
To me, for a real light gun 280 or 7 REM mag would be the only two 7mms I would consider. The 280 is VERY close ballistically to the mag and uses enough less powder that it does kick noticeably less. The 280 will push a 140 grain bullet 3000 fps with 15 grains less powder than the 7 Mag takes to get the same speed, though the 7 Mag will push it to 3200. In a real light gun, recoil is not your friend and I am not recoil sensitive.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
It appears to me that the LOP is in line with other Sako 85 products 14.25 inches vs 14. I specifically looked up the Sako Kodiak and am assuming it's representative. Does this mean your friend is not a fan of he LOP of all Sako products ? The difference in LOP is around 1.8%, which seems marginal to me, but I am still learning and could be underestimating the issue.
The actual LOP measured longer than 14.25", just like my Bavarian Carbine. Given the construction, he didn't want to try shortening it, like he had done with his other Sako rifles.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you did well price wise which is always a consideration. The 7-08 is a great cartridge, well done!!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:38 PM

I just purchased a Sako Grey Wolf topped off with a ziess conquest hd5
7 mm rem mag I know it not a light gun, but the recoil is no worse than my 308
love the gun.

Last edited by pgavey; 09-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
love the gun.
I am a fan of the grey wolf, its a sharp looking unit.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
love the gun.
I have a 6 lb 308, scope, sling and full mag included. The kick and muzzle jump is WAY different than my 308 the weighs 8.5 lbs. It kicks as good or maybe a little more than my 7 mag rem bdl that weighs just over 9 lbs all in. Even with a great stock design and good recoil pad shaving 3 lbs off a rifle really changes the recoil profile. At least try shooting a real light weight gun in a mag claiver before you lock into buying one.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Sorry, missed the part about you having bought the 7-08. I think that is a great choice, very efficient round and the ones I have had were very easy to load for. Think that will be a great combo and a perfect all round gun. Look forward to hearing how you like it and how it shoots once you get it.