Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Sorry i forgot to write this or take a photo of it but the liver on this deer wasnt hit by the bullet but had they hydrostatic shock and it had the look that
The other deer i have shot lungs where they jellied. This would have been a nearby shot but not direct.
Sorry i didnt take a photo but i know well what the liver is normally like and this one was mush. My Grampa eats it, He is always in there like a coyote. So i always have to cut it off for him.

Thanks for reminding me to write this Prairiewolf.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:50 AM

the problem is the average hunter doesn't understand the difference from one bullet to another or twist rate factors on bullet weights. If you make the .22 centerfire legal for deer hunting tben you get uninformed hunters using varmint bullets or inappropriate bullet weights , normally I would guess those would be exactly the same hunters that don't spend a lot of time on the range and the combination of factors is a mess.
the .22 center fire by itself wouldn't be the problem, as with most things in life, user error would be an issue.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
the problem is the average hunter doesn't understand the difference from one bullet to another or twist rate factors on bullet weights. If you make the .22 centerfire legal for deer hunting tben you get uninformed hunters using varmint bullets or inappropriate bullet weights , normally I would guess those would be exactly the same hunters that don't spend a lot of time on the range and the combination of factors is a mess.
the .22 center fire by itself wouldn't be the problem, as with most things in life, user error would be an issue.
X2
How many people when you ask what kind of a bullet they shoot say oh 150 grains. No I mean what type, brand, oh federals they have an orange tip. Most people have no idea what the differences are or care.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 AM

Default 22-250

I’d love to use my 22-250 for deer instead there are lots of lighter , well constructed bullets that work for deer in .243. My most accurate rifles are my coyote slayers, wish I could use them for deer.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Funny how you can search some post throughout and when talking 243, 7-08there will be eight pages of that gun is not enough and need a bigger magnum.
This post people are asking to utilize a smaller rifle caliber.

the problem with putting rules for smaller animals like deer, or class the animal would never work as most people will acknowledge how rules work in this world right now. the trouble will start when people see the grey area around each rule and press that grey area, then there is the enforcement of this grey area and added rules. would never work. It has to be a flat line across and it would have to have real good reason for a change. I personally don't see it happening in Alberta.
I don't disagree that these smaller calibers are fine for the smaller bodied animals. And I am also sure that we could have 5 pages of "there was this one time" stories.
JMO
Old 12-15-2019, 12:16 AM

A friend of mine shot a nice buck with a 220swift
he said it was a 350 + yard shot
hit the buck in the heart
when I helped him dress out the deer
I was amazed at the devastation that little bullet did to that deer's heart
the heart was almost completely exploded
I don't think the buck ran 50 yards and piled up
the last year Alberta had open tags ( cant remember exactly what year that was )for bull moose in zone 348 I shot a bull moose with a 257 Roberts 89 grain Speer, 150 yards away I neck shot it and 3 vertebrates were totally demolished
sometimes bigger isn't better,
sometimes smaller isn't the route to go either
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 12-15-2019, 11:15 AM

There is no doubt that smaller calibers can be effective killers. One off anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything though. Only that it worked that time. Bella Twin killed a world record grizz with a .22 rimfire, but that doesn't prove a .22 rimfire is an effective Grizzly cartridge, but you go ahead and experiment if you'd like.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:40 AM

I’d love to use my .22-250 on deer.
But I also understand that a rifle with a 1 in 14”( typical of most .22-250’s) twist won’t do well stabilizing bullets over 55 grains.
How many hunters/shooters out there get this?
How many hunters/shooters understand the difference in construction between the 55 grain Sierra Gameking’s the OP used and a 55 grain Tipped Blitzking?

The level of inexperience the grave majority of hunter/shooters out there have, makes me say, leave the current cartridge limitations in Alberta alone, part of me would like to see the case length rule come back as there’s wonder children wanting to use 9mm carbines for deer hunting, that for one reason another think it’s cool, to try 100 yd pokes on deer with such firearms, using ammunition designed for rapid expansion.

But I digress.
Kudos to the OP, and enjoy the venison, you did your homework on bullet choice and the results show your due dillegence.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2019, 12:08 PM

A person has to do their research as Dick284 stated.
Also, comparing Bella Twin and her 22 to hunting deer for recreation with a Swift is a bit of a stretch for me and heree's why.
Bella Twin did not have a heavy rifle wwith her, and when I lived in the bush for extended period of time the .22 was my main rifle, I didn't carry both with me.
Trappers use the .22 out of necessity , not choice, it is the rifle inn their hands and that is what gets used.
There are a pile of States and a few provinces that allow the centerfire .22's for hunting deer and the hunters using them do very well.

Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 12:29 PM

The 22 centre fire rifles are lots of rifle for deer. The argument of not allowing people to use them because they could potentially wound more Game / it takes more skill is silly so many places have allowed it to be successfully used for years that argument is just personal opinions. People wound and lose a lot of game with all the classic chambering that everyone flocks to. a poorly placed 300wm shot is just as wounding as a poor 30-06 or a 223 shot.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:34 AM

I know a guy in TX who tracks wounded deer with dogs, typically 100-150 calls per season. He tracks what each deer was shot with, and the 7mm Rem mag leads by a mile.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the support on my experiment guys. I dont hunt in tree stands for deer but with these smaller calibres i wouldnt be scared as it would allow me time and the deer giving a proper shot.