Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Default Odd f&w encounter

After an unsuccessful evening coyote hunt I make way back to my truck to find a f&w officer hiding around the corner.

After asking me about what I was up to he asks me a rather odd question.

If I have my hunters Ed card on me, or if I can prove I’m that I did it. He then proceeded to take my game bird license and wildlife certificate so that he can scan and email it away to find out if I actually did the training. Officer comes back, briefly searches my vehicle/packs and says he will let me know if there’s any issues.

Anyone been ask to provide proof of hunters Ed?
I just found it rather odd.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM

That does seem odd. Isn't it a question on the PAL application so if you have your PAL it should be implied that you have it? I have never heard that u had to carry your hunters ed card along with your PAL.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM

I’m not even sure I got a card 30 years ago.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
That does seem odd. Isn't it a question on the PAL application so if you have your PAL it should be implied that you have it? I have never heard that u had to carry your hunters ed card along with your PAL.
Hunters education is not required to obtain a PAL. The PAL deals with firearms legislation, whereas the first time hunter qualification deals with the Wildlife Act. And Hunter Training is not required to obtain a hunting license if you meet the other requirements, as in having held a hunting license before the date listed in the qualifications.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Well, as I never took it hopefully I'm never asked for it
Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I asked him how could I purchase my tags/licenses without doing my hunters Ed.

I know it’s not mandatory to carry it on you, but I thought it was weird he tried to get me to prove it. And asked me when I did it, and if I’m carrying my card on me to prove completion.

After I couldn’t prove it, he said he will email aheia with photo copies of my licenses.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
After an unsuccessful evening coyote hunt I make way back to my truck to find a f&w officer hiding around the corner.

If I have my hunters Ed card on me, or if I can prove I’m that I did it. He then proceeded to take my game bird license and wildlife certificate so that he can scan and email it away to find out if I actually did the training. Officer comes back, briefly searches my vehicle/packs and says he will let me know if there’s any issues.

This is a new initiative to make sure people are truly eligible to hunt...too many people have lied throughout the years.

IF CAUGHT you can have every set of antlers/horns you collected while ineligible confiscated and be charged on each count.

In short... people better complete their training. If you took it many years ago and didn’t have a number associated with your course certificate you can contact AHEIA to have one issued. I had to do this.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Odd questions from a fish and wildlife officer? Probably fired in rapid succession as well.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I’m not even sure I got a card 30 years ago.
I got mine in 1987 and still have it but had it reissued with an actual number identifier.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Odd questions from a fish and wildlife officer? Probably fired in rapid succession as well.
Very rapid, trying to get me to fumble it seemed like.

And for the record I did do the course.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
No you do not need your hunters ed to get or have your pal... I do beleve you could if you wanted to just put some numbers in the box of your relm account but im still not sure if it would work or how they would track it. They must of had a problem with someone that got a license with out it and got caught. I take all my hunting id with me just incase.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is a new initiative to make sure people are truly eligible to hunt...too many people have lied throughout the years.

IF CAUGHT you can have every set of antlers/horns you collected while ineligible confiscated and be charged on each count.

In short... people better complete their training. If you took it many years ago and didn’t have a number associated with your course certificate you can contact AHEIA to have one issued. I had to do this.

LC
And then there are those of us that have never taken Hunters Ed, but have held licenses in other provinces before the specified date, so according to the regulations, we aren't required to have taken the course. I held my first hunting license in 1972, in Saskatchewan, and have held hunting licenses in Alberta since 1980.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Did he ask about your hunters ED before you gave him the bird licences?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And then there are those of us that have never taken Hunters Ed, but have held licenses in other provinces before the specified date, so according to the regulations, we aren't required to have taken the course. I held my first hunting license in 1972, in Saskatchewan, and have held hunting licenses in Alberta since 1980.
Yup that meets one of the requirements as well.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Very rapid, trying to get me to fumble it seemed like.

And for the record I did do the course.
Classic
Old 12-03-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Odd question

I had a weird encounter this year as well. I didn’t know I was not allowed to transport my wife’s deer without filling the little piece of paper attached to the regulation. Short story, me and my wife were hunting together, she filled her tag in the morning, we decided to stay for the evening to try to fill the supplemental. She was on one end of the field, I was at the other end, maybe a kilometre away, I had to pick her up at the other end. The F&W officer waited for me at the truck. Came out of nowhere . He gave me a ticket because I didn’t fill up that little piece of paper, even though we were hunting together on the same land, he said I had to get this filled out by her to be able to transport the deer. Did you guys knew that rule? First time for me, ticket wasn’t much, just 30$ but man, I feel like I should read those freaking regs over and over like a lawyer. They are out for blood in my area.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
I had a weird encounter this year as well. I didn’t know I was not allowed to transport my wife’s deer without filling the little piece of paper attached to the regulation. Short story, me and my wife were hunting together, she filled her tag in the morning, we decided to stay for the evening to try to fill the supplemental. She was on one end of the field, I was at the other end, maybe a kilometre away, I had to pick her up at the other end. The F&W officer waited for me at the truck. Came out of nowhere . He gave me a ticket because I didn’t fill up that little piece of paper, even though we were hunting together on the same land, he said I had to get this filled out by her to be able to transport the deer. Did you guys knew that rule? First time for me, ticket wasn’t much, just 30$ but man, I feel like I should read those freaking regs over and over like a lawyer. They are out for blood in my area.
Yup and if you transport a set of antlers that aren’t yours...you need the same piece of paper.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hunters education is not required to obtain a PAL. The PAL deals with firearms legislation, whereas the first time hunter qualification deals with the Wildlife Act. And Hunter Training is not required to obtain a hunting license if you meet the other requirements, as in having held a hunting license before the date listed in the qualifications.
I guess I am thinking of the Firearms Safety Course which is asked in section 20 of the PAL application and proof that you have taken it. This is not the same as the Hunter Ed course I did when I was 13.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:

So why did you let him search your vehicle or pack, he had no reasonable grounds to do so. Are they allowed to freely search for no reason? Thats him fishing for a violation to charge you with.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
So why did you let him search your vehicle or pack, he had no reasonable grounds to do so. Are they allowed to freely search for no reason? Thats him fishing for a violation to charge you with.
He just walked by my vehicle peaking inside the box and in the cab. My pick was open so he peaked in there too. When I said brief search I mean he just took a very quick pass through everything.
I honestly had zero to hide. So the search didn’t bother me.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:

LC
This is dumb. Dumb dumb. I took mine when I was 12. There was also a time when it was not required to have it.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I got mine in 1987 and still have it but had it reissued with an actual number identifier.

LC
How much of a pain in the @ss was it to get a number issued? I was down at the AHEIA office a couple weeks ago getting a deer scored and the subject came up... i took the course in ‘93 when i was 13, don’t have the certificate or a number or anything. Dave said i would likely have to retake the course in order to get a number issued.
I’d rather avoid that, so if there’s a way to just get a number issued.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
That’s pretty low if you ask me. It’s these sort of interactions that IMO make their job harder. I would bet a lot of officers would look at that situation and say ok here’s your get out of jail free card. Give a verbal warning and explain the situation as to help not hinder relations between hunter and officer. I sure hope he was respectful to you and your wife and you left on a good note.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:

You were truck hunting. Happens all the time when you're truck hunting.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
I don’t truck hunt. I was walking back to my truck from sitting on a field calling yotes. As soon as I got to my truck that’s when he drove up from around the corner.
I was parked on private property and so was he when he was hiding, waiting for me.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 PM

But you used your truck to go hunting, right?

Truck hunting.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM

I took mine in junior high as a class and could not tell you where the card is today. I can remember buying my first tags with dad and he had his card to. Red card with a ram on it I do believe. Last few years with the steel tags. Anyone know what the date for grandfather rights is ? I was class of 88 I believe.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
You walk from home?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2019, 09:00 PM

Yes.

Im a true x-man.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:02 PM

Default Hunters ed

You said you were coyote hunting, since when do you need a hunting license or hunters Ed to hunt coyotes on private property? Half the farmers in the province probably don’t have hunters Ed and shoot coyotes all the time. You got played big time.