Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Ever given up something you love

Have you ever given up something you love in the pursuit of other interests or projects?

Right now I'm in the middle of a deal (more of a trade) for a project that I really want to start. I'm trading my bow and all archery equipment, essentially forfeiting my archery hunt next year for a 16 ft camper. I love archery and bow hunting but what I want to do seems to be taking over my head and well funds are low so buying what I want isn't an option.

Anyways, this year me and my buddies did our 2 week whitetail hunt as we always do every year. This year we had a couple more people though my buddy who is new to our kind of hunting (ex truck hunter) brought his 18 year old daughter. Aside from our hunting group changing a bit, our accommodations changed. My one buddy from BC has his own little hunting rig which he stays in which is just a modified enclosed trailer that he can also carry his ATV with inside (fold up beds). The other 3 of us stayed in my buddies truck camper. It worked, but was pretty smooshy with us and all our wet gear at the end of the day.

This got me to thinking. My 10 year old daughter is eligible to hunt now (grouse) and in 2 years will be able to hunt big game with me although she still has to do her hunters ed course before so I guess not quite "eligible". I want to bring her on my 2 week hunt next year but 4 in the truck camper will be quite tight so I want to build my own hunting rig which I can also haul the ATV on as well and be self sufficient.

All that being said I've been looking for cheap ole beat up campers and finally came across one where the guy will trade his camper for my bow. The plan is, is to completely gut the camper keeping some things from it to build new shack and demolishing the rest of the camper down to frame and building it back up into quad hauler and hunting shack all in one. This way I can customize the shack part to suit my own needs and hunting styles on top of having a project.

Now some of you may ask "why ruin a perfectly good camper to make another camper?". Well there's a couple reasons. number one, I want my own shack for hunting and carrying quad while leaving truck box empty for gear/deer/stuff and things. Also cant close tailgate with quad in it which limits towing. Number two, planning ahead for when daughter starts hunting. reason three, and this is the biggest reason is that I just really want to take on a big project like this. It is something I've never done before. I've never built anything like this and would be learning the whole way through it. My mind is consumed with ideas on what I want the finished product to be like I even dream about it. I want to challenge myself and see if I can make something of quality and functional.

To some of you, it might seem quite simple but for me it's new and I'm willing to let go of archery hunting and my gear for a couple years to start this as I have a year to complete it.

Have you ever given up something you love for something else?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Have you ever given up something you love in the pursuit of other interests or projects?
I tried one time for a short bit. But they say, ”a jerk a day keeps the doctor away”... so after having to see the doc a few times I had to start back up... Plus I couldn’t live with the headaches. Worse than when I gave up coffee I tell you...

Last edited by Positrac; 12-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:49 PM

HA! spit my lunch all over my computer! As for the original question, no I haven’t and if it’s something you love to do I think you might regret it.

Last edited by coxy95; 12-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:21 PM

I have a deal for you.

We have an older camper that we converted to an ice shack. It’s on skids but still has useable beds. The furnace works and most of it has been gutted. It’s been a great shack but we just never use it anymore.

Depending on what you want and how handy you are you could use it for ice fishing in the winter and hunting in the fall.

The deal I would make is that you take the camper, with the assurance you won’t sell your bow and you take your daughter bow hunting

It’s located on Sylvan Lake. It’s yours anytime, just reply and/or PM me. The easier way to transport it is on a small flat deck trailer. If it won’t work, no worries at all.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Gave up J, S, L, B, R and R for H.......

So yes I have.

And that was before texting so I had to do it in person
Old 12-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have a deal for you.

We have an older camper that we converted to an ice shack. It’s on skids but still has useable beds. The furnace works and most of it has been gutted. It’s been a great shack but we just never use it anymore.

Depending on what you want and how handy you are you could use it for ice fishing in the winter and hunting in the fall.

The deal I would make is that you take the camper, with the assurance you won’t sell your bow and you take your daughter bow hunting

It’s located on Sylvan Lake. It’s yours anytime, just reply and/or PM me. The easier way to transport it is on a small flat deck trailer. If it won’t work, no worries at all.

Cheers

I really appreciate the offer but I don't think it would work for what I have in mind and this is also just about me doing something I haven't done before. Having a big project.

Thanks tho!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
HA! spit my lunch all over my computer! As for the original question, no I haven’t and if it’s something you love to do I think you might regret it.
I do love my September archery hunt yes. That being said, I usually pick up my bow in July, shoot a bit until September then hunt for a couple weeks then drop the bow until the next year. I actually don't shoot that much now that I think of it. I think i'll just miss the extra hunt.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:13 PM

I can probably up bunch of rifles I own as well as rifle big game season, but would never give up archery season.
Soo, NO

S12
Old 12-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I tried one time for a short bit. But they say, ”a jerk a day keeps the doctor away”... so after having to see the doc a few times I had to start back up... Plus I couldn’t live with the headaches. Worse than when I gave up coffee I tell you...
Oh my
Old 12-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Trade the damn bow. They make em every day of the week. They don't make kids every day of the week, and whatever time you spend with your little girl will be a huge bonus for you that she will always remember, and might even tell stories of at her wedding.

This is a slam dunk.
  • I have sold rifles to get outfitted for ice fishing.
  • I have sold more rifles to get outfitted for waterfowl.
  • I have sold rifles to get hunting dogs.

I still love rifles, but I can only shoot one at a time.

Only thing in my world that ain't for sale is my family and my dog.

The rest of it is just stuff. It really is.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Bows are easier to find than kids. You can always get another in a couple years. I've given up many things for my kids, it's worth it. They grow fast and if you don't spend time with them now don't expect them to spend time with you later.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 PM

I have a 8ft camperette buds and shes all yours. Kids are great. I want to to see you enjoy that p.m me I'll send you pics.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:24 PM

I would say make the trade. A bow and a few other items is a small price to pay for the future investment of quality time with family. Besides, your project will have a helper, both of you can learn at the same time and appreciate building something tangible and not on the internet typing. I get the irony of that as I type this on my phone at work in front of a computer lol

Old 12-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Trade the damn bow. They make em every day of the week. They don't make kids every day of the week, and whatever time you spend with your little girl will be a huge bonus for you that she will always remember, and might even tell stories of at her wedding.

This is a slam dunk.
  • I have sold rifles to get outfitted for ice fishing.
  • I have sold more rifles to get outfitted for waterfowl.
  • I have sold rifles to get hunting dogs.

I still love rifles, but I can only shoot one at a time.

Only thing in my world that ain't for sale is my family and my dog.

The rest of it is just stuff. It really is.
This^^

Look at it as a hiatus from the archery season for awhile.
I've given up all kinds of things in pursuit of others. Hobbies come in waves.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 PM

I sold my bow set up when I had kids, just didn't commit the time to it. My kids are getting older so I'm picking up the trad bug now. Going to get the kids in to it.
So it was a pause not a give up. But I dont regret it. It's a short window.
Brad
Old 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Yes
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-10-2019, 05:34 PM

Default When I quit drinking

They had to lay off a whole shift at Molson's .I still feel guilty about that one.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Dang good thread. Generous guys and great humor. Lots of moaning, but when you cut through the fat, there are a ton of great guys on this forum!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post

Right now I'm in the middle of a deal (more of a trade) for a project that I really want to start. I'm trading my bow and all archery equipment, essentially forfeiting my archery hunt next year for a 16 ft camper. I love archery and bow hunting but what I want to do seems to be taking over my head and well funds are low so buying what I want isn't an option.

Anyways, this year me and my buddies did our 2 week whitetail hunt as we always do every year. This year we had a couple more people though my buddy who is new to our kind of hunting (ex truck hunter) brought his 18 year old daughter. Aside from our hunting group changing a bit, our accommodations changed. My one buddy from BC has his own little hunting rig which he stays in which is just a modified enclosed trailer that he can also carry his ATV with inside (fold up beds). The other 3 of us stayed in my buddies truck camper. It worked, but was pretty smooshy with us and all our wet gear at the end of the day.

This got me to thinking. My 10 year old daughter is eligible to hunt now (grouse) and in 2 years will be able to hunt big game with me although she still has to do her hunters ed course before so I guess not quite "eligible". I want to bring her on my 2 week hunt next year but 4 in the truck camper will be quite tight so I want to build my own hunting rig which I can also haul the ATV on as well and be self sufficient.

All that being said I've been looking for cheap ole beat up campers and finally came across one where the guy will trade his camper for my bow. The plan is, is to completely gut the camper keeping some things from it to build new shack and demolishing the rest of the camper down to frame and building it back up into quad hauler and hunting shack all in one. This way I can customize the shack part to suit my own needs and hunting styles on top of having a project.

Now some of you may ask "why ruin a perfectly good camper to make another camper?". Well there's a couple reasons. number one, I want my own shack for hunting and carrying quad while leaving truck box empty for gear/deer/stuff and things. Also cant close tailgate with quad in it which limits towing. Number two, planning ahead for when daughter starts hunting. reason three, and this is the biggest reason is that I just really want to take on a big project like this. It is something I've never done before. I've never built anything like this and would be learning the whole way through it. My mind is consumed with ideas on what I want the finished product to be like I even dream about it. I want to challenge myself and see if I can make something of quality and functional.

To some of you, it might seem quite simple but for me it's new and I'm willing to let go of archery hunting and my gear for a couple years to start this as I have a year to complete it.

Have you ever given up something you love for something else?
So my hunting partner's trailer is an old 60's unit. Around 16' or so I believe. A while back he picked up an old 24' double axle unit (for $100) he was going to renovate. Then he bought a Suzuki two-seater with a flatbed that raises and lowers like a dump truck. (can't use quad's before noon where we hunt.....this circumvents that issue because it registers like a car/truck. He put quad tires on it so he can take it anywhere)

Long story short, he tore the 24' down to the frame, beefed it up, moved the axles back, dropped the old hunting trailer on the front (after removing the single axle and tires) and set the new "Frankentrailer" (I named it that....lol) up so his Suzi sits nicely on the back behind the trailer.

Works like a damn!

Now, he's a civil engineer who's VERY handy and his one son is a professional welder so he was able to do all this for pennies.

Your situation may differ but if you're going to renovate anyhow, I'd say get looking around for an older unit you can get dirt cheap and fix up inexpensively and keep the bow. That's just me though, I hate to give up one passion for another!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-12-2019, 11:21 AM

I sold the only shotgun I owned at the time to buy the rest of an engagement ring.
I didn't buy another shotgun for a good 7 or 8 years.
I do sometimes miss that shotgun.
But I would miss my wife and now kids more.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Good thread Op! I'm also looking at building a hunting rig/bunk for my flatdeck tilt trailer to get out with the kids in the fall and for possibly ice fishing as well. I'm also looking forward to the building aspect of it with the kids. I'd try to scale down on some creature comforts or do a house/garage purge before selling something you really like if the $ factor is playing into it.....My 2 cents
Old 12-12-2019, 12:29 PM

I am going through with the trade. Picking up the double axle 16ft trailer sunday. I may or may not regret giving up my bow but in a couple years I'll get another one. As someone said earlier I'm just taking a hiatus for a bit to try something different. My daughter is excited to build something too. As for me I'm really looking forward to having a project to keep me busy for a few months and see what I can build as I've never done this before.

I dont even have it yet and have been designing in my head how I want it. That's the best part is that I can customize it the way I want to suit my hunting needs and be able to haul the quad all in one 16ft hunting package.

I'll be able to salvage most of what I need from the existing camper now. Most of my costs are going to be just wood and screws and such. But it will be pretty basic to start with and in the next few years I'll work on it more, but for this year I'll settle with functional.

Maybe I'll take lots of pics and start a thread to show my progress, or maybe just wait til the end. I dont know but looking forward to it.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 PM

When your building it use PL premium to hold it together.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Keep your archery and just keep an eye out for an older trailer. Quite often you can pick them up under 1K at auctions. you have till next fall to get er done so don't be in a rush to take the first deal.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:53 AM

The money you’ll spend on your project and lose on your archery gear you could easily buy a used wall tent and a stove and still keep your bow.... we sold our trailer and bought a wall tent with an open porch. Wife, 2 kids, and a dog and we had our best camping trips yet with it. Falling asleep with the stove going and having all the extra open space wish we had done it sooner. I do however hafta put a cooler in front of the door (skunk tried to get in one night under the door flap).
Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 PM

Do it.

When our perfect children are born, we only live to be memories for them.

Happy hunting.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:34 AM
Banned

I assume everyone had to trade this for that at some point. I looked at the trade offs as ‘letting go’ rather then ‘giving up’. Happy every time with the outcome!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:02 AM

at one time in my younger life I was a die hard fanatic archery hunter
I lived archery , was very successful got 11 elk, 5 moose, 16 deer with archery equipment , but along with the success came age, and the last 5 years I had my archery gear , my bows hung on the wall I never picked them up,
one day I was out spotting and doing some photography, and it dawned on me
geesh I should take up goose hunting,
I thought to me self
I live right in the middle of some of the worlds greatest waterfowl area why not give it a go
I came home advertised my archery gear ,
I traded all my archery gear for waterfowl decoys, and a lay out blind to a guy off of this forum actually
and switched from archery to waterfowl ,
now I have added pheasants to that mix.
I got an awesome Chesapeake bay retriever that doubles as my pheasant dog as well, and she is an incredible hunting partner, and companion to boot
I have never regretted this trade and actually have found a new passion with training my retriever , and actually get more enjoyable time in the field in much nicer weather , I truly get more use out of my waterfowl gear then I ever did with my archery gear,
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 12-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Heroin. Probably for the best.