Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Unlike the USA, Alberta supports unregulated race based harvester rights. A race based harvester rights hunter can’t be restricted in the weapon of choice. If the general population was restricted to shotguns the raced based harvester rights hunters would kill everything with a rifle anyways. Gotta love living in Canada.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Not sure I understand your conservation angle. With a shotgun having a shorter range and more "drop" and not as likely to exhibit minute of angle accuracy at distance, I see the potential for more wounding of animals do to poor range estimation and poor shooting.

Yes, that can happen with current firearms used in Alberta now, but I only see it increasing, not decreasing if only shotguns were to be used.

Most of the states that employ a shotgun only regulation are heavily forested and ranges are usually quite short. I don't think you'll be seeing that reg coming to Colorado or Montana anytime soon.

You speak of liberal governments like we'll be seeing a succession of them in the foreseeable future and that there will be a repeated and continuing effort to eliminate firearms. I don't think the current minority government will have much success in eliminating firearms and likely will be heading for another election before their term is done. They lost the popular vote Canada wide last time and could do worse the next time.

Let's not "shoot ourselves in the foot" and opine about how to hunt in a world where our firearms are being confiscated. Put your effort into making sure that doesn't happen.

Discussion is good, it's all just food for thought, also the Libs and so call Progressives have been in power in this country more often than not.