Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Default 2009 Aoudad Sheep, Texas

I’ve been bitten by the ‘sheep bug’ pretty good over the last decade or so. My 2nd sheep hunt in 2009, and first time hunting in the US was for Texas free-range Aoudad sheep, October 15-20. The sheep are late in their rut at that time of year. We hunted a 64,000 acre ranch with some of the most incredible sheep and mule deer country I have ever seen. My friend, and long-time guide and hunter from Texas was leading this trip. Last year, he guided two friends to 33” and 31“ rams.

We glassed the mountain ridges from the valleys and foothills, and worked hard to look over every sheep possible to find the biggest ram on our ranch, and specifically a cranker he saw in September. I was very impressed with the mass and length of their horns – much more than I expected! Over the days we found and regularly glassed several large bands, including about 20 with a BIG ram that we watched move into the neighbouring ranch (off limits). My guide ensured that he would be back to visit the ewes on our ranch, sooner or later. Sure enough, we found him on our side that Sunday afternoon and worked in closer for a better look. When we peaked over the last ridge, there was no hesitation that we wanted to take him. We made a classic stalk and I held it together (barely) to make the shot across the canyon. He is old and wide (difficult to age, but over 10 yrs) with heavy and worn beams going 31" - unbelievable ! Not sure if I would ever top him, but I think I am gonna try. It’s an awesome hunt boys !

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM

Congrats on a very nice looking ram any other scenery photos. Was this a guided hunt or can a person hunt with a resident.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM

Congrats, great story and pics.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Congrats on the ram depop! Was wondering where you'd gotten too lately, now I know.

Cheers!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 AM

wow thats awsome, we were also booked but was told that you can hardly get them back into canada , is that true or do you have a guy that does it for you.

awsome ram by the way
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM
sheephunter

Too cool...thanks for sharing. That is a hunt that's definitely high on my bucket list. Any details on your buddy the guide?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 AM

S13: This was a guided hunt (my first). Most of the ranches are leased to an outfitter, so guided is pretty much it. A resident getting permission on these [good] ranches would be near impossible, from what I understand. I'll put up a couple more pics.

GS: No issues importing into Canada as far as I understand, however my guide is also a very talented taxidermist, so he is taking care of everything.

SH: My guide has a long track record of taking mature, record book sheep - the only kind he'll take. His price is at least a couple grand less than other free-range trophy Aoudad hunts - a bargain for this quality of sheep.

This guide has 4 spots [only] in 2010 during the peak rut in September. He does not advertise, and works pretty much by word of mouth. He hunts between four different ranches and the 2010 ranch has not been hunted in a couple years. I am possibly interested in taking one slot (this hunt is that good that I am already planning to go back), so if anyone else is interested, PM me for contact info.

Last edited by depopulator; 10-23-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Congrats on your hunt.
Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM

That is pretty cool there Depop. Congrats.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Congrats Depop...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM

please send contact info
Thanks Canuk
Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 AM

Awesome ram Depopulator!!

Anything over 30" sure is a hell of a trophy.....
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Can you share guide's contact info

Hi Depop... can you share the guides contact information, I would love to go on this hunt in 2011

Thanks

Hoopi