Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Default Gray Sac in Whitefish Flesh

Hoping someone has some ideas here.

I got a couple lake whitefish out of Gregg lake yesterday, which we had for dinner tonight. In the middle of eating, my son holds up a piece of fish and says “what’s this”? I took it and in between the muscle sections, there was a little ball. Grey in colour, sac filled with some kind of grey fluid.

Never seen anything like it before. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Hoping someone has some ideas here.

I got a couple lake whitefish out of Gregg lake yesterday, which we had for dinner tonight. In the middle of eating, my son holds up a piece of fish and says “what’s this”? I took it and in between the muscle sections, there was a little ball. Grey in colour, sac filled with some kind of grey fluid.

Never seen anything like it before. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Dang, if that don’t throw ya off yer meal, could it be the swim bladder? Maybe a tumour.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Tapeworm cysts are not uncommon in Alberta whitefish. How large was it, how many?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Probably yellow grub parasite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1Nf_Ta-_k

They are one of the more common parasites.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Tapeworm cysts are not uncommon in Alberta whitefish. How large was it, how many?
The size of a small pea. And we only found the one. Any chance of it being an abscess type of thing??
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Probably yellow grub parasite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1Nf_Ta-_k

They are one of the more common parasites.
That’s too noticeable to have not seen it while cleaning the fish I would think.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
That’s too noticeable to have not seen it while cleaning the fish I would think.
There are both yellow and white versions and they are easy enough to miss if you aren't paying close attention/looking for them.

I have a had a couple fish with these parasites and your description seems to match almost perfectly.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
There are both yellow and white versions and they are easy enough to miss if you aren't paying close attention/looking for them.

I have a had a couple fish with these parasites and your description seems to match almost perfectly.
Could have been. It was a grey colour though? The tapeworm cyst seems pretty likely.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Could have been. It was a grey colour though? The tapeworm cyst seems pretty likely.
I am pretty sure they would be after they are cooked. I noticed mine while cleaning(saw one and then upon further inspection noticed another one I had missed).
Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Banned

My gf’s boys and ex are commercial fisherman from PEI. When she cleans fish she holds the filets up to a light to pick out any worms or cysts. Does the same with store bought cod. Sure opened my eyes to worms in cod filets. She says they are rife with them. She isn’t kidding. Looks like a little round sac too but once you dig them out here comes a little worm 1” - 2” long that had been all curled up.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
My gf’s boys and ex are commercial fisherman from PEI. When she cleans fish she holds the filets up to a light to pick out any worms or cysts. Does the same with store bought cod. Sure opened my eyes to worms in cod filets. She says they are rife with them. She isn’t kidding. Looks like a little round sac too but once you dig them out here comes a little worm 1” - 2” long that had been all curled up.
I was wondering how to find them. I’ll give that a try next time.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Speckle55 can chime in. I asked him a few years back about Gregg Lake and he did say that he found them in some of the whites.

There are plenty of great whitefish lakes to the north but I usually do not keep whites from them because of this. E.g. Marie Lake, Whitefish Lake, etc. I've also see the grey / white cyst in the meet, dug it out and it is a small ball of worms - nice and stringy.... I tried but can't bring myself to eat the meat. I know it is all in my head but just can't get past it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM

I hear you Snap.

Were there any in those big whites you caught?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslug View Post
I hear you Snap.

Were there any in those big whites you caught?
Absolutely zero! Over the past 3-4 years I have seen little to nothing in whites from Pigeon, Gull or Sylvan. All lakes that I like to fish for and keep whites out of. A special mention to Sylvan where I’ve taken the most from and have found zero issues. Gull is also clean. Pigeon I used to find worms in the guts pretty regular and little to nothing in the meat though. But I’ve found pretty much next to nothing at all over the last 3-4 years in Pigeon whites. They have been very clean as well.