Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Default Jawjacker...

Grabbed a couple of these at Cabelas to try out. Looked pretty impressive on a bunch of youtube videos. Anybody here using them? Observations? Anxious to try them out on our next outing. Going to run them with 36” medium micro-tech walleye rod/reel combos. I also have the same in MH but they are being extremely stressed to load and afraid I’ll break them so will stick with the medium and 8# trilene mono.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA5F9B07-8B6A-4871-8D0D-6F851B639E05.jpg (25.7 KB, 416 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:32 PM

My son picked one up with his xmass $$ and he loves it . Most days it outfishes us ! I’m gonna have to get one my self soon!
Just be really careful setting it up, keep your face away from it or your gonna loose a tooth or at least need some stitches if it triggers !!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM

Be careful when setting up, but other than that they are outstanding. Many days they outfish the people and we have flashers/cameras
Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 PM

I’ve used them for a couple years, yet just recently my line must have wrapped around the rod tip, because when the pike hit it, the whole thing flipped and my favorite rod went down the hole. Ironically it was the only time I’ve had a good rod in them.

Do your best to keep the Trigger part dry, cause it can freeze. Make sure you spread the arms all the way up also. Make sure your reels drag is loose enough it won’t pull the rod away. And I put a bell on the rod because I’d often not hear it go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM

The heavier the rod the lower of the 3 butt positions you want to use.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
The heavier the rod the lower of the 3 butt positions you want to use.

The instructions actually say the opposite based on the length of the rod. It recommends centre or rear pin hole to put the rod at it’s highest setiings for the 36” M-MH rods. In the lowest hole my rods are too long to get the tip back to the trigger. #2 pin hole seems to be the best option with my 36” M rods. I might pick up a 28” or 32” and see how they work?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Banned

Amazing product. Works for every species through the ice. Like others said, WATCH OUT! Never load it straight on, I always los it from the side. Hurts my pride to say this but it out fishes me quite regularly.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

I have been checking it out pretty close and yes there is no way I would get directly in the line of fire loading it. It sure goes off with a snap!!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
The instructions actually say the opposite based on the length of the rod. It recommends centre or rear pin hole to put the rod at it’s highest setiings for the 36” M-MH rods. In the lowest hole my rods are too long to get the tip back to the trigger. #2 pin hole seems to be the best option with my 36” M rods. I might pick up a 28” or 32” and see how they work?
I think maybe you misunderstood me. I mean if you had a noodle rod you'd put it as far back as possible, and a heavy stiff rod likely forward all the way.

However its pretty specific to each situation. Rod length, rigidness, and desired hookset. I wouldn't us a MH rod all the way back for small trout, or if the bite was lazy.

Thats kind of the beauty of it, is how you can adjust the hookset quite a bit. I mean thats really its only function, is hookset. Its just a dead-stick presentation, no different than a tipup or a plain stick. If my dead stick is getting more action, my jigging slows down or stops.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM

I love these things - they stick fish like a boss.

Just wear long sleeves and safety/sun glasses when loading her up or keep your damn face away from the path of that rod. OUCH - gave me a real nice welt on the arm.

Almost needed an eye patch like a pirate.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think maybe you misunderstood me. I mean if you had a noodle rod you'd put it as far back as possible, and a heavy stiff rod likely forward all the way.

However its pretty specific to each situation. Rod length, rigidness, and desired hookset. I wouldn't us a MH rod all the way back for small trout, or if the bite was lazy.

Thats kind of the beauty of it, is how you can adjust the hookset quite a bit. I mean thats really its only function, is hookset. Its just a dead-stick presentation, no different than a tipup or a plain stick. If my dead stick is getting more action, my jigging slows down or stops.
I watched a youtube video with one that had a base that moved like a teeter totter to jig the line. I could not tell what made it move? It didn’t move much or so it seemed on the surface but the underwater footage was an eye opener to see how much action was imparted on the bait. I assume battery powered? They were getting lots of fish on it.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

Just a tip but if your rods are to stiff to load in the jaw jacker use a longer loop on the eye instead of the ones they come with. Bend the rod as far as you're comfortable then eyeball the distance and tie a loop out of tip up line to match.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I watched a youtube video with one that had a base that moved like a teeter totter to jig the line. I could not tell what made it move? It didn’t move much or so it seemed on the surface but the underwater footage was an eye opener to see how much action was imparted on the bait. I assume battery powered? They were getting lots of fish on it.
There called Windlass Tip-Ups, Cabelas has them for like $30. I'm sure theres variations on them, but most just use a breeze as power.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
There called Windlass Tip-Ups, Cabelas has them for like $30. I'm sure theres variations on them, but most just use a breeze as power.
It was called a jigging jawjacker. I have had a windlass tip-up or two kicking around in my ice gear for about 25 years, polar tip ups and a bunch of homemade gear but this was some kind of base on the jawjacker that teeter tottered. Heres the video.

https://youtu.be/K0Jt93bw1mI
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Banned

Here it is...was the next video in line! Lol Pretty cool setup.

https://youtu.be/B9zXwnk1XuA
Old 01-13-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Here it is...was the next video in line! Lol Pretty cool]

Very cool. The only slight issue I see is battery life in the cold, but when it’s that cold even a tip-up has issues.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 AM

They work amazing! I've caught plenty on them. To build on what someone said earlier though be careful because it can go off easily. Keep your eyes a safe distance away. I always adjust mine from the side instead of kneeling down over top of it. If you decide to poke the thin layer of ice that forms in the hole then, again, be sure to keep clear of the rod.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM

A couple of the many fish the jawjacker got us yesterday.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Yeah they work great, some days they don't work if the fish want an active presentation but when the fish are in a dead stick mood they can't be beat.

I would also way rather fight a fish on a rod/reel then on a hand line tip up.

As for setting them up some rods work better then others. Fiberglass rods are more durable and have less chance of exploding on you but graphite rods work too, you just need to make sure they fit decent. Depending on length and power of rod it might not work very well but like another member posted you can tie on a longer loop in those cases. If you are using a graphite rod and it is really tough to bend it that last little bit you are likely over stressing the rod and it will eventually fail.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Banned

Info on the microtech website says the rods I have are solid fiberglass blanks. They sure have some backbone to them for fibreglass I must say. I have an older Berkley graphite ice rod from way way back in the day (early 80’s) and there is no way it would work. It has backbone on steroids. Its been my deepwater laker rod for over 30 years.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Info on the microtech website says the rods I have are solid fiberglass blanks. They sure have some backbone to them for fibreglass I must say. I have an older Berkley graphite ice rod from way way back in the day (early 80’s) and there is no way it would work. It has backbone on steroids. Its been my deepwater laker rod for over 30 years.
Fiberglass does not always insinuate poor quality or flimsy as many people believe.

Most people just think this because of how Ugly Stiks are and because good fiberglass rods are not as common anymore. Fiberglass rods have a few advantages and disadvantages, mostly related to flexibility and durability which is why you mainly see it in durable rods(like Ugly Stik), trolling rods and heavy duty rods(White Sturgeon and offshore rods etc which are usually a combination of fiberglass and graphite).

Fiberglass rods can also come in a variety of qualities, a good example of this is to go compare an ugly stick ice fishing rod to an automatic fisherman ice fishing rod. They are both fiberglass but you will notice a significant difference between the two.

My main ice fishing rod that I use now is a custom rod made from a good quality fiberglass blank which has a Light power tip but almost MH backbone.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It was called a jigging jawjacker. I have had a windlass tip-up or two kicking around in my ice gear for about 25 years, polar tip ups and a bunch of homemade gear but this was some kind of base on the jawjacker that teeter tottered. Heres the video.

https://youtu.be/K0Jt93bw1mI
where can we get these??????
Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
where can we get these??????
They might go on sale in February...keep a lookout out on there website to see the release date.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 PM

The Slay is Strong with the Jaw Jacker.... I'm waiting patiently for the jigging jaw jacker and counting my lucky stars that he may gift me with an early one!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Arrgg

I was using a rat trap in the early 80's. To young, dumb and procrastinating to make something out of the idea.
Only problem is they were kind of tricky to set
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I was using a rat trap in the early 80's. To young, dumb and procrastinating to make something out of the idea.

Only problem is they were kind of tricky to set

I did the same in the early 90s. Thought I was original with the idea, but I guess not!

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 PM

Default full size rod

A search of the forum for JawJackers pulled up this old thread. Is anyone using them or adapting them for use with a full size rod, say 6'? From what I see on here they are not meant for anything over 3 feet.
I was thinking of setting one for lakers but I wouldn't want to fight a laker on a 3 foot rod.
Thoughts?
kidd
Old 12-14-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
A search of the forum for JawJackers pulled up this old thread. Is anyone using them or adapting them for use with a full size rod, say 6'? From what I see on here they are not meant for anything over 3 feet.
I was thinking of setting one for lakers but I wouldn't want to fight a laker on a 3 foot rod.
Thoughts?
kidd
You can do it you just have to make a really long custom loop for your eyelet
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
You can do it you just have to make a really long custom loop for your eyelet
That is pretty much the definition of high sticking aka a good way to break your rod. You would need to extend the trigger mechanism significantly as well.

Normal ice rods work fine for lakers. Caught my 43 incher on a normal ice rod in a jaw jacker. Just look for a good fiberglass rod with decent backbone and some flex.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
Thoughts?
kidd
Hey Kidd, also you can google ‘slammer hook setting tipup’ and run with the results there. Guys out east we’re building these for full sized rods to catch steelhead for the last 10+ years. There’s plenty of good pictures of different release/trip mechanisms too now so take a gander and go for it. I built one back in the day and it was ok.