Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2023, 08:45 AM

Default Recoil and young or small shooters.

My two youngest kids took their game this year with my rifle. It just worked out that way. Both aren’t very big. Diminutive actually. My wife at 110 lbs has also used that same rifle successfully. It’s chambered in 7MM Remington Magnum and weighs just over 8lbs loaded and slung.

I’m actually quite surprised at the number of people concerned with that. Like it would somehow cause damage. Theses kids shoot quite a bit throughout the year and I’ve just asked both if they felt excessive recoil when shooting this particular rifle in the field. Both said no.

Now I wouldn’t recommend a 40 round bench session with the rifle, but a few rounds in the field seems pretty reasonable.

The trend I really hate seeing is every rifle now days seems to be sporting a brake. On all sorts of rifles and their cartridges. I see so many of these rifles shot on film, in the field, without hearing protection. Recoil generally won’t cause any physical harm. Brakes on the other hand can and most certainly cause irreparable damage.

What gives? Makes zero sense to me.