Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2022, 08:47 AM

I live a couple blocks from the river valley in the NE. I came home from work last winter to find a young coyote sleeping on my front step. I yelled at it a bit but he didn’t want to get up. I formed up a half dozen snowballs and smoked him good with a couple of them. He got up and casually strolled into the street, looking at me with zero fear the whole time. I decided he needed to learn to fear humans again so I spent the next 15 mins chasing him around the neighbourhood in my truck.

One of my neighbours posted a message on Facebook about some crazy guy in a white F150 harassing a coyote lol. Don’t get me wrong it was quite fun low speed chasing that yote, but next time I’ll let him in my yard and he can get up close and personal with an arrow or two.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I live a couple blocks from the river valley in the NE. I came home from work last winter to find a young coyote sleeping on my front step. I yelled at it a bit but he didn’t want to get up. I formed up a half dozen snowballs and smoked him good with a couple of them. He got up and casually strolled into the street, looking at me with zero fear the whole time. I decided he needed to learn to fear humans again so I spent the next 15 mins chasing him around the neighbourhood in my truck.

One of my neighbours posted a message on Facebook about some crazy guy in a white F150 harassing a coyote lol. Don’t get me wrong it was quite fun low speed chasing that yote, but next time I’ll let him in my yard and he can get up close and personal with an arrow or two.
Good on you as someone/thing needs to teach them that. You just went legend with the neighbors I’m sure 😅
Old 10-22-2022, 09:38 AM

Hears a thought!! The ever expanding urban squalor. Ya think we are moving into their space? They are really not moving into our space. Bears, Wolves, Yotes, Big Cats and other meat eaters, We have moved further into their habitat. They will take your domestic critters. Oh ya, stop leaving your garbage around and open for them. Just my thought.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:24 PM

Full sized adult coyote. Good thing she hung tight to the leash or Fifi..........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-22-2022, 09:28 PM

If the authorities had a clue, they would use coyote hounds to eliminate them. It would be safe , and effective.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Full sized adult coyote. Good thing she hung tight to the leash or Fifi..........
Watching the video, she turns her back to the coyote while holding her dog to pick up her phone. The coyote was going to make another move. Why would you turn you back???
Old 10-23-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
We were down at the dog park by the valley zoo on October 18 2 coyotes showed up in the field yapping away my Saint Bernard stood and stared them down then she was joined by her friends the boxer and another boxer/pit cross them coyotes disappeared very fast. I wish i had a pic of it
Maybe 2 coyotes yipping, but another 5-6 could be waiting in the bush. This yipping is sometimes used to lure a dog into chasing them down and into the bush.

I'd be very careful of underestimating your situation with how "tough" your dog is and what / how the "friends" would add to the situation (except more chaos).

This is not a 1 on 1 fight. Coyotes are far too smart for that AND they wouldn't risk it either ...

The coyotes, if they wanted to, know how to work together and end it on their terms. The good news is, this is high risk for them, so it's more likely they wouldn't do this too often - but it does happen.

I'm just saying - please be careful.

It's happened way too many times here in the city with much larger and more potent dogs ..... too many times and it's horrifying to see - it happened twice in my neighborhood and both dogs were >100lbs and the second situation, there were 3 domestic dogs (all larger "tough killer breeds") by one owner and it was clear they did not know how to work together, as only 2 came back and the third was found in pieces hours later.

He though it was fun to set his killers off on coyotes (like he did many times before) but this one time, they were prepared for him and prepared to defend their territory.

Either way, after talking to the owner, and learning something myself, I now leash mine when out there by the river valley.

Way too much to risk just to stroke an ego or derive some cheap entertainment. You know what I mean.

Coyotes in the city need bullets not tennis balls as far as I'm concerned. They are getting bolder and more dangerous and it just a matter of time before someone's child gets taken at a bus stop or walking home or something.

Last edited by EZM; 10-23-2022 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Watching the video, she turns her back to the coyote while holding her dog to pick up her phone. The coyote was going to make another move. Why would you turn you back???
No guff eh? Her phone pretty important, need to tell Thelma wth just happened. lol

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King