Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Default Kakwa Falls?

Who here has been to Kakwa falls? Im going to fish that river hard this year as im not that far from it. I also want to hike to the falls and fish the river along the way. How do you get to the falls? If you have been there whats the trail like? Always open to have someone join me when I do go!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
Who here has been to Kakwa falls? Im going to fish that river hard this year as im not that far from it. I also want to hike to the falls and fish the river along the way. How do you get to the falls? If you have been there whats the trail like? Always open to have someone join me when I do go!

You will want a quad or a really good 4x4 truck and you can drive to the falls....not easy access at all. The fishing really isnt that good. It can be good later in the year, but i have caught some PIG bulls in-between the hwy 40 bridge and downstream to the Smoky river. Hard access as well but some wicked pools to! Beautiful area by the falls though...you will have to get in and check it out.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM

The fishing at thefalls area is hit and miss and can be tough, the access is remote and as mentioned you will need to have a good 4x4 or quad is optimal, the pools that close to the falls are fewer and smaller and the river is fairly shallow and fast moving that close to the headwaters. In my opinion you are better off using the roads and cutlines south of town down hwy 40 and walking up or down from there the fishing is better and less pressure but that is my opinion only
Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskybaron View Post
The fishing at thefalls area is hit and miss and can be tough, the access is remote and as mentioned you will need to have a good 4x4 or quad is optimal, the pools that close to the falls are fewer and smaller and the river is fairly shallow and fast moving that close to the headwaters. In my opinion you are better off using the roads and cutlines south of town down hwy 40 and walking up or down from there the fishing is better and less pressure but that is my opinion only
Yup i have fished the river by highway 40 alot, just wanted to explore, even if fishing is not as good its something id like to try. Id even walk it instead of using a 4x4
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM

if you are in the grande cache area you will have to come up to gp and go down the two lakes rd to get to the falls depending on the road conditions it can take a cople hours down gravel roads with a couple creek crossings to get to the falls.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskybaron View Post
if you are in the grande cache area you will have to come up to gp and go down the two lakes rd to get to the falls depending on the road conditions it can take a cople hours down gravel roads with a couple creek crossings to get to the falls.
yup I live in grande cache. Thanks for that info!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Yeah, i would recommend a quad. I have access it bye 4X4 in the fall but i wouldn't try it in Spring/Summer the creeks are high. You best know how to ride, well. If you are taking a quad in. I go up there often at leats 8-10 times a year. My buddy has a trappers cabin not to far from the airstrip. I have fished the Kakwa below the falls lots, its quite the hike down. Interesting at times, espicially when your packing the rod and some grizzly heat. I prefer fly fishing the Torrens for cutthroat nothing big, but a lot of fun. The fish ladders is a fun place. If you would like to join one day i"ll PM you next time i head that way, sometime mid summer. I have to agree with some of the other guys on here i have caught some pig bulls off highway 40 as well and some monster grayling.

Alberta Redneck

If you can't catch fish, catch a buzz
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Redneck View Post
Yeah, i would recommend a quad. I have access it bye 4X4 in the fall but i wouldn't try it in Spring/Summer the creeks are high. You best know how to ride, well. If you are taking a quad in. I go up there often at leats 8-10 times a year. My buddy has a trappers cabin not to far from the airstrip. I have fished the Kakwa below the falls lots, its quite the hike down. Interesting at times, espicially when your packing the rod and some grizzly heat. I prefer fly fishing the Torrens for cutthroat nothing big, but a lot of fun. The fish ladders is a fun place. If you would like to join one day i"ll PM you next time i head that way, sometime mid summer. I have to agree with some of the other guys on here i have caught some pig bulls off highway 40 as well and some monster grayling.

Alberta Redneck

If you can't catch fish, catch a buzz
Thanks for that info, Id love to join you one day, I think it would be a blast
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

So instead of quading or 4x4 how far of a walk is it to the falls?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM

It depends on you're drop off point it can be quite the walk but the "road" goes right to it If you get out after the old airstrip for instance you will be walking for some time like a couple hours I would think

Hey Alberta Redneck are you catching cutthroat trout in the Kakwa river? I did not know there was any in this area if you are ever looking for a partner to catch one of those I would love to come along It is a species on my bucket list to catch.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM

for cuttys go to the Ram River using yellow humpy drys.best thing about them they eat off surface even with no hatch. and most small forestry trunk road streams hold them awell and arnt picky coleman river has lots but id walk up stream first and pick your casts so you dont spook them
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Hey Alberta Redneck are you catching cutthroat trout in the Kakwa river? I did not know there was any in this area if you are ever looking for a partner to catch one of those I would love to come along It is a species on my bucket list to catch.[/QUOTE]

I am catching cutthroat in the Torrens River, which i believe is a tributary of the Kakwa. The only way i know how to access the fish ladders is right close to Sherman Meadows. Go down the Old Man Road till you hit the bridge, park the truck and walk to the right. That is the top of the fish ladders then work your way down. The fishing is awesome right below Torrens Falls. I have never caught a cutthroat in the Kakwa but i'm sure they are there.

Alberta Redneck
Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
So instead of quading or 4x4 how far of a walk is it to the falls?
Yeah, walking that far in my opinion. Is not an option, to hell with that i'll take my quad.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 AM

There is a sign after 2 lakes when you start the drive to the falls that says "32km, 2 1/2 hours." Don't even try it with a 2 wheel drive. Its pretty rough going in spots. Beautiful country though.

"I can resist everything except temptation"
- Oscar Wilde
Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 AM

In a truck it's 2.1/2-3 hours, a quad is 1/2 that, walking I would say 8 hours. I've also met a fella that came though from McBride BC on a mountain bike!
here's also an old pack trail from GC thats about 50km.
Below the falls you'll mostly run into rockies with a few rainbows that get washed down from the lake, the river is narrow, fast and rocky in a canyon for a fair ways.
I've got my old lifted 4x4 buried in snow on that trail but we've got a 2 wheel drive in there with slicks on the back in the spring before (don't ask how), and saw a van in there in the summer also just depends on how adventurous you are, and how much you want to spend on your ride when you get out!

Cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, walking that far in my opinion. Is not an option, to hell with that i'll take my quad.
I dont have a quad but id still walk it.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Bring a tent because its about an 8 hour hike one way, and then you got to walk back
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Alberta Redneck are you catching cutthroat trout in the Kakwa river? I did not know there was any in this area if you are ever looking for a partner to catch one of those I would love to come along It is a species on my bucket list to catch.
I am catching cutthroat in the Torrens River, which i believe is a tributary of the Kakwa. The only way i know how to access the fish ladders is right close to Sherman Meadows. Go down the Old Man Road till you hit the bridge, park the truck and walk to the right. That is the top of the fish ladders then work your way down. The fishing is awesome right below Torrens Falls. I have never caught a cutthroat in the Kakwa but i'm sure they are there.

Alberta Redneck
The Torrens runs into the Narraway and it runs into the Wapiti and the Wapiti runs into the Smoky many miles below where the Kakawa runs in. The Torrens is not a trib of the Kakawa. The cutthroat in the Torrens were escapees from the second lake at Two lakes, many, many moons ago.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bring a tent because its about an 8 hour hike one way, and then you got to walk back
Yup that was the plan
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM

The pool below the Kakwa falls is jam packed with small rainbows.
It would be something to get dropped off at the falls and hike the river out to the Copton Creek confluence/Porcupine flats area.

The fishing isn't great at the falls but it still is something a person should do.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM

Hi All,

I was just wondering if it's possible to make this trip in April/May before the run-off starts? I have a capable 4X4 and winch. I'd love to go later in the summer but usually by that time I am down south, so I thought an Exploratory trip earlier in the year would be good.

Anybody tried it in the Spring?

Cheers,

Oasis
Old 04-05-2019, 05:14 PM

Wow from 2011 to 2019 lots of banned thread inputs,

How is the fishing there might need to go there in July or August.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Wow from 2011 to 2019 lots of banned thread inputs,

How is the fishing there might need to go there in July or August.
I'm curious, too. My time probably starts last wek of August or first week of September. I feel like few days berfore christmas aöready ...