Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Excitement for the day with a hit and run

Driving north on Calgary trail before 34th ave a car in front of us reversed in traffic, steam coming out and then sped around a white car that he had obviously just hit. I told my wife he just hit that guy and is taking off. We sped up behind him and I told my wife to get a picture of his plate and then call 911. As we got behind him he had to slow for traffic and the white car cut in front of him blocking him from going further. The drivers door opened and a man started run across the field. Both the driver of the car that had been hit and I yelled at him where are you going. He went a little further then turned around and came back.

The driver or the car that was hit was really ****ed. I told the driver that ran away just to settle down as police would be called. The situation seemed under control and I gave my information to the driver of the vehicle that had been hit for a witness statement and we left.

Got a message tonight that the driver at fault was impaired and did not have a valid DL. Impaired at 11:30 in the morning
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM

Glad everybody was okay, crazy drivers these days
Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 PM

2T ...Good on you for stepping in to help out. No doubt unexpected for someone to be driving impaired at that time ... let alone driving. Maybe no surprise he had no valid DL.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Banned

Do you ever watch Live PD on A&E? In the majority of the cars they pull over, the diver doesn't have a valid license and/or insurance and/or are under the influence of something. Or the trifecta of all three. It's an epidemic these days. Granted it's filmed in the US but I don't think things are all that different up here among certain elements in our population.

Combine that with a general erosion of personal responsibility in our society these days and stories such as this don't even surprise me anymore.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Do you ever watch Live PD on A&E? In the majority of the cars they pull over, the diver doesn't have a valid license and/or insurance and/or are under the influence of something. Or the trifecta of all three. It's an epidemic these days. Granted it's filmed in the US but I don't think things are all that different up here among certain elements in our population.

Combine that with a general erosion of personal responsibility in our society these days and stories such as this don't even surprise me anymore.
I know there are lot's of people out there without valid DL or insurance. They just play the odds and the penalties are not significant.

I thought the guy was off when he came back to the car and I told the other driver that when he got the police there to ask to check him for impairment. It would be interesting to know what the police are seeing now for stats with the changes to the marijuana laws with numbers of impairments and time of day for occurrences.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Driving north on Calgary trail before 34th ave a car in front of us reversed in traffic, steam coming out and then sped around a white car that he had obviously just hit. I told my wife he just hit that guy and is taking off. We sped up behind him and I told my wife to get a picture of his plate and then call 911. As we got behind him he had to slow for traffic and the white car cut in front of him blocking him from going further. The drivers door opened and a man started run across the field. Both the driver of the car that had been hit and I yelled at him where are you going. He went a little further then turned around and came back.

The driver or the car that was hit was really ****ed. I told the driver that ran away just to settle down as police would be called. The situation seemed under control and I gave my information to the driver of the vehicle that had been hit for a witness statement and we left.

Got a message tonight that the driver at fault was impaired and did not have a valid DL. Impaired at 11:30 in the morning
Was it alcohol or some other impairment.
In my eyes pouring a drink in the morning and lighting up are very different.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Was it alcohol or some other impairment.
In my eyes pouring a drink in the morning and lighting up are very different.
Why would it be any different? Really?

I know a few people who also don't see the difference. They are usually the guys that show up for work stoned, and stay that way the whole day. Nothing wrong with that? But if someone put away a 26 of rye, cleverly concealed in his coffee cup over the course of the day, that would be a problem (of course it would!).....but hey, pot is legal now.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-13-2019, 10:38 PM

I once caught a drunk after she nearly hit me head on, but instead corrected and only sheared off my drivers mirror when I was at a stop taking a left (thus I no time to take an evasive manoeuvre). I turned around and drove like a demon to catch up, when she actually bothered to stop for a red light I opened her door, threw it in park and took her keys. Then the fun started.... some lady stopped and drove her to 'safety' because of the man with a grumpy scowl who was following her at a distance while she ran into traffic crying.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Well, it would be a pretty boring show if they showed all the sober people with all their paperwork in order that get pulled over without any drama.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Well, it would be a pretty boring show if they showed all the sober people with all their paperwork in order that get pulled over without any drama.
Ahh, it's live. They don't have time to cherry pick and edit. Watch it tonight and see if you have the same opinion.

It ain't the old COPS show
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Ahh, it's live. They don't have time to cherry pick and edit. Watch it tonight and see if you have the same opinion.

It ain't the old COPS show
Watched it lots, just the highlights of several patrolmen across the US filmed over several hours responding to calls where the police cars and camera men are directed to calls that might be film worthy. It's set up and edited heavily.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Watched it lots, just the highlights of several patrolmen across the US filmed over several hours responding to calls where the police cars and camera men are directed to calls that might be film worthy. It's set up and edited heavily.
It's live more the most part, care to explain how you edit live footage and still broadcast in real time?

Sure they're directed to attend what may be "film worthy" would anybody watch if it wasn't? Doesn't mean it didn't happen exactly as broadcast.

Fact of the matter is that it's only eight of hundreds of jurisdictions in the US and they find a significant number of the offenses discussed earlier in REAL time.

Are you claiming it doesn't happen as broadcast?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
It's live more the most part, care to explain how you edit live footage and still broadcast in real time?

Sure they're directed to attend what may be "film worthy" would anybody watch if it wasn't? Doesn't mean it didn't happen exactly as broadcast.

Fact of the matter is that it's only eight of hundreds of jurisdictions in the US and they find a significant number of the offenses discussed earlier in REAL time.

Just saying not everyone pulled over is drunk, high and causing trouble like your first post hinted at. . The vast majority of people routinely pulled over have licenses, insurance, are not causing havoc. Sure it happens live but they edit out all the boring material otherwise the show shot in many jurisdictions with many different officers would be a 64 hour long show of uneventful routine traffic stops. Even then much of the show is uneventful with little excitement and a panel of hosts with as much talking as actual event footage.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Sooooo I've got this bridge I'd like to part with........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just saying not everyone pulled over is drunk, high and causing trouble like your first post hinted at. . The vast majority of people routinely pulled over have licenses, insurance, are not causing havoc. Sure it happens live but they edit out all the boring material otherwise the show shot in many jurisdictions with many different officers would be a 64 hour long show of uneventful routine traffic stops. Even then much of the show is uneventful with little excitement and a panel of hosts with as much talking as actual event footage.
Explain to me how this edit process works when you're broadcasting in real time.

Sure they monitor 8 jurisdictions and just don't follow one car in one police service, which would be boring.

They don't edit anything, the director picks which feed to broadcast based on potential viewer interest. Some choices are boring, some too graphic to show live. And not all are vehicle pull overs.

But the vehicle pull overs they show, they have no idea what the outcome will be before they walk up to the car and broadcast it live. Yes sometimes the driver has all the proper paperwork and everything is in order, but in a significant percentage of vehicles they pull over, the driver has issues with their license, insurance, or impairment, or all three. Or the car is stolen

They don't stage or edit any of that outcome and have no idea what it will be as they broadcast it live.

Tell you what, I'd planned to watch some of the show tonight anyway. Want to bet that on the vehicle pullovers they do live, not earlier in the week activity which they can cherry-pick, they will find one or all of the issues I just referenced in more than 60% of the events? It'll likely be a lot higher than that. It won't be everyone, and I never said it was, but it will qualify as most of them which is what I was claiming.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sooooo I've got this bridge I'd like to part with........
That's right, fake news, I should have known. The only truth in this world is that of which you speak. My bad.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Thumbs down

Anyone that drives without at least a front facing camera is playing the lottery with insurance. Footage of someone running you off the road into the power pole means you are not at fault, without footage you were driving distracted 100% of the time.

Front and rear facing is best.

Sure good of you to stop and help. The vast majority would turn a blind eye and bitch about it later.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
the director picks which feed to broadcast based on potential viewer interest. Some choices are boring, some too graphic to show live. And not all are vehicle pull overs.
That's editing.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's editing.
No, that's ranking. Editing is cutting out portions of the video and not running it raw and UNedited for all to see as it happens. I'm sure the difference is lost on you though.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
U.S. Transportation stats estimate that between 15-20% of cars on the road are either uninsured or the driver doesn’t have a valid license. ( this is a far bigger problem than in Canada)
So if you’re in an accident there there’s a pretty good chance the driver is not legal.
Combine that stat with the fact that they are stopping vehicles where something is amiss with the vehicle, or being driven poorly (people driving illegally don’t tend to keep their cars in tip top shape, or worry if they’ve had a couple beers too many)...I find the show quite feasible.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
U.S. Transportation stats estimate that between 15-20% of cars on the road are either uninsured or the driver doesn’t have a valid license. ( this is a far bigger problem than in Canada)
So if you’re in an accident there there’s a pretty good chance the driver is not legal.
Combine that stat with the fact that they are stopping vehicles where something is amiss with the vehicle, or being driven poorly (people driving illegally don’t tend to keep their cars in tip top shape, or worry if they’ve had a couple beers too many)...I find the show quite feasible.
Add to that the 15-20% is probably at anytime day or night and the live video on the show is shot from 9pm to 12am eastern. Without a doubt that percentage is a lot higher during those hours.

Or... it's all just fake news for those that can't handle the realities of society in the US these days.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Jeese guys, so 80% do have licenses and insurance. Editing and ranking are semantics for cherry picking. Should we get into demographics and geographic areas of who does or doesn't have licenses and insurance.

With the changing demographics in Canada we're not far behind the states.

Have a good one.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jeese guys, so 80% do have licenses and insurance. Editing and ranking are semantics for cherry picking. Should we get into demographics and geographic areas of who does or doesn't have licenses and insurance.

Have a good one.
Dude, get a grip on reality. When the producer decides to go live to a car pull over instead of a stray dog call it ain't cherry picking as they have no idea if the driver is licensed, insured or sober or not until they make the stop and assess the situation. They may be playing the odds, but those odds tell them chances are way better than 50/50 the diver isn't legitimate and/or sober based on their past experiences.

They don't go live to that feed once they determine they have an offender, that would be cherry picking.

Watch the random car pull overs tonight, I guarantee to you the number will be a lot lower than 80% of drivers that have proper paperwork and are sober. More like 20-40%

Have a better one.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Have a good one.
Why all the comments on a production you’ve obviously never watched?
As has been stated it is live... they start the tape rolling before they make the stop...so please explain how they are cherry picking.
As for demographics they tape in very diverse locations...Texas, Indiana, California etc.
Try actually watching an episode.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Why all the comments on a production you’ve obviously never watched?
As has been stated it is live... they start the tape rolling before they make the stop...so please explain how they are cherry picking.
As for demographics they tape in very diverse locations...Texas, Indiana, California etc.
Try actually watching an episode.
Now why would he do that when he obviously knows more than any of the police forces on the show, never mind any of us on this forum?

Without a doubt there's a bridge with his name on it close to where he resides and it's about time he crawls back under it.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM

Aren't you a polite bunch of fellows. Someone disagrees you default to insults, grow up.. Watched the show many many times. Have also ridden along with police through a few shifts in Chilliwack, Yorktown, Lytton, Sturgis, Leader, Ottawa, even a couple ride alongs here in Drayton Valley when visiting with my brother who was RCMP for 25 years until he retired. The vast majority of time they are boring routine uneventful shifts writing a few traffic tickets, investigating B&E's, accidents, taking witness statements, gathering evidence, serving warrants, domestic disputes, breathalyzing drunk drivers, arresting the odd person, chasing thieves down alleys, doing much paperwork, with a few coffee's and donuts thrown in to add some excitement.

The show floats around until they find something camera worthy, even then much of their footage is hum drum everyday police work but the show does not reflect the dull daily frustrating reality of policing. It is a reality show, if one didn't know better they might think policing is just like what they see on TV. Obviously you take from the show what you want, individual perceptions vary, no need to take offence if someone else's perception differs from yours.

Last edited by Bushrat; 06-15-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Aren't you a polite bunch of fellows. Someone disagrees you default to insults, grow up.. Watched the show many many times. Have also ridden along with police through a few shifts in Chilliwack, Yorktown, Lytton, Sturgis, Leader, Ottawa, even a couple ride alongs here in Drayton Valley when visiting with my brother who was RCMP for 25 years until he retired. The vast majority of time they are boring routine uneventful shifts writing a few traffic tickets, investigating B&E's, accidents, taking witness statements, gathering evidence, serving warrants, domestic disputes, breathalyzing drunk drivers, arresting the odd person, chasing thieves down alleys, doing much paperwork, with a few coffee's and donuts thrown in to add some excitement.

The show floats around until they find something camera worthy, even then much of their footage is hum drum everyday police work but the show does not reflect the dull daily frustrating reality of policing. It is a reality show, if one didn't know better they might think policing is just like what they see on TV. Obviously you take from the show what you want, individual perceptions vary, no need to take offence if someone else's perception differs from yours.
Let's see, average number of police officers killed per year in the line of duty in the US in the last 25 year....145.
In Canada...2.
Yup...a ride along in Yorktown is exactly like the US.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Reality TV shows are real, taped live, everyone knows it. So was Stampede Wrestling.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Reality TV shows are real, taped live, everyone knows it. So was Stampede Wrestling.
And you've got irrefutable proof of this that you're willing to provide us of the unwashed masses who don't fit into the group of "everyone knows"?

Or are we just to take your learned word on this?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow, you've been on ride alongs in all the major metropolis's of Canada.

Leader, Yorktown, Lytton, Drayton Valley, no wonder you're the absolute authority on policing in American urban and suburban settings and seem to know exactly what their average policing day entails and how much they embellish the live shoot.

We of the unwashed masses bow to your superiority.