Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Recycling Tips

For the environmentally conscious, this guy has some pretty good recycling tips:

Youtube
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Yup that;s the main man for Canada, we must be the laughing stock of the world.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

If it isn't scripted for him, his true self comes out for all to see that he's as sharp as a marble.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Wonder how he gets the water out of the box????

Oh yeah bet it is a straw.

Unfortunately Canada recycled the name with poorer results than the first time around.

I have a couple of acquaintances in wheel chairs and they require straws for their day to day existence.

Have you used a straw from A&W lately. Better sip fast because there is a short time line on those straws. They self destruct in a very short time.

This is far more reaching than just straws. Outdoor get togethers that use plastic utensils... gone.

Wonder if those frustrating packages that you need a knife or scissors to get into are on the gone list?

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:28 PM

That was pretty great! Thanks for the laughs. I almost choked on my food and spit it all over the table and then some, but thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post

Unfortunately Canada recycled the name with poorer results than the first time around.

I have a couple of acquaintances in wheel chairs and they require straws for their day to day existence.

Have you used a straw from A&W lately. Better sip fast because there is a short time line on those straws. They self destruct in a very short time.

This is far more reaching than just straws. Outdoor get togethers that use plastic utensils... gone.

Wonder if those frustrating packages that you need a knife or scissors to get into are on the gone list?
Buy stock in bamboo utensil companies.

Folks didn't have plastic utensils five or more decades ago. People had one of these. I still have mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knife.jpg (12.6 KB, 60 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-12-2019, 03:35 PM

That's about the head hog's speed. He's so slow he'd have to speed up to stop. Turdeau's family spends 300 bucks on bottled water a month. And his bottled water is subsidized because he gets some of his money back with the carbon tax rebate check he gets.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 PM

what about all the Tim`s coffee drinkers out there...the cap is a one time use.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:19 PM

Jeez how do you get a prescription for same stuff he's smoking
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 AM

The hand motions that he's making add to the stupidity of all his nonsense.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 AM

My 9 month old granddaughter watched this with me, then look at me and started crying.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Jeez how do you get a prescription for same stuff he's smoking
You don't.... he legalized it, remember? Maybe it was legalized so that he's not in jeopardy of having a criminal record?

J.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM

Default funny story on how plastic pollution saved a species

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48527398

The Bermuda land snail was thought extinct 40 years ago...until someone found a live one in a narrow alley living in a discarded plastic bag.

Without plastic...the snail would of been gone.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 AM

Default plastic

Plastic saves $billions of $$$ in food preservation. Their are somewhere around 500 different plastics and almost impossible to recycle. Commingled plastics have very little use. Plastic is "Frozen natural gas" Just burn it to boil water and produce electricity for All the electric cars. The Japanese figured this out 40 years ago and have many power plants today burning their plastic with good scrubbers on stacks.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM

The video (along with different endings) has been all over FB the last few days, as well as memes based on his "performance". I hope it stays viral right up until the election. I'd also like to see it used in a certain someones campaign.
I find it unbelievable there are still some that support him, and have a few ideas where I'd like to see those supporters end up.

ps. anyone know how deep the Mariana trench is?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post

It's kinda funny when you think of it. Most of us are perfectly capable of drinking without a straw at home ,but when you go to a restaurant then suddenly you need a straw unless it's beer /wine or coffee.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM

The best ( worst? ) part is that he would/should have been prepared for possible questions coming from the press.
To me, one of the most obvious questions to expect would be " What are the alternatives to plastic water bottles that people can switch to? "

Scary to think that :
1 He wasn't prepped by his staff
2 He was prepped, but no one had the smarts to predict what questions might come his way
3 He was prepped and the answer he was coached on was 'paper water bottles'

Correct answer would have been a reusable water bottle filled from the tap.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:47 AM

I bet you can find hundreds of pics showing Trudeau drinking from a plastic water bottle but I bet you will have a hard time finding a pic of him with one of these mythical boxes of water

It’s one thing to be stupid it’s another to be dishonest and stupid
Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 AM

I suck at facebooking. Check this out. Very funny.

https://www.facebook.com/HuttgesRenovationsContracting/

Scroll down until you see this.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 AM

water bottles are completely recyclable whereas plastic lined cardboard drink boxy plastic thingies are not (about 70% recyclable)

There is a simple easy solution that will by pass the federal government's ideas department altogether, because they won't be able to create a new department and huge bureaucracy to manage it. Put an across the board minimum 25/30 cent deposit on all plastic bottles in every province.(some provinces have no deposits on these items like we do in Alberta. It would be self sustaining and would only cost you if you can't be bothered to take your bottles back for the return.
As for plastic grocery bags? fugetaboutit give people the option at all stores ,paper grocery bags or bring your own period . None of this 5 cents a bag if you want plastic ,take away the option altogether .5 cents a bag benefits the grocery chains and not the environment.

Straws? don't need em period
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Most people don't know that over 90% of the stuff you put in the "blue" box for recycling ends up in the landfill..total waste of time and money...kinda like the Carbon tax...sounds good, does very little.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
As for plastic grocery bags? fugetaboutit give people the option at all stores ,paper grocery bags or bring your own period . None of this 5 cents a bag if you want plastic ,take away the option altogether .5 cents a bag benefits the grocery chains and not the environment.

Straws? don't need em period
I read a while back that reducing plastic grocery bags had some unforseen consequences. The big one, most people use them for garbage bags in their smaller garbages, office, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. With them being reduced, people were switching over to actual garbage bags, which are thicker, causing more pollution to produce and longer breakdown times when they do ultimately end up in the landfill.

7-11 may disagree with you.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I read a while back that reducing plastic grocery bags had some unforseen consequences. The big one, most people use them for garbage bags in their smaller garbages, office, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. With them being reduced, people were switching over to actual garbage bags, which are thicker, causing more pollution to produce and longer breakdown times when they do ultimately end up in the landfill.

7-11 may disagree with you.
True, but if all the people that say they care ,really cared they would find a way.
Paper bags could be used for most garbage if people composted all the food waste in a separate container and used the garbage bags for garbage. We don't put bags in the bedroom/bathroom garbage cans we dump those in the one big green bag when they are full and wash out the can when needed.
Not saying it's perfect or convenient but it's a step in the right direction
Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
True, but if all the people that say they care ,really cared they would find a way.
Paper bags could be used for most garbage if people composted all the food waste in a separate container and used the garbage bags for garbage. We don't put bags in the bedroom/bathroom garbage cans we dump those in the one big green bag when they are full and wash out the can when needed.

Not saying it's perfect or convenient but it's a step in the right direction
I agree. I try to do my bit, turn lights off, don't let my car idle endlessly because it's -5C, have programmable thermostats, recycle, etc., but I often think the way we are going about addressing the issue is foolish. I know every bit helps, but wouldn't it make sense to start going after the big issues as opposed to starting at the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe this isn't accurate, but I read this several years ago: ".....just one of the world’s largest container ships can emit about as much pollution as 50 million cars.". So that ship running for about 3 minutes will have a greater environmental impact than I will in my lifetime.

Link

Maybe we could start with an easy one, how about we stop lighting up downtown towers at 11 PM when they are 95% empty?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
The hand motions that he's making add to the stupidity of all his nonsense.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:50 PM

NOW COME ON GUYS!!!!

This Question was not at all fair and you KNOW IT!!!

JT & Fam only drink Perrier, and that is not WATER! Perrier only comes in GLASS, not Plastic!!

The Interviewer wanted JT to lower himself to the common folk and drink water? Out of a Plastic Water Bottle? Of course that would cause confusion for him!!

That's like asking a Liberal MP if we should pay less taxes.

Total Confusion.

Drewski
Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I agree. I try to do my bit, turn lights off, don't let my car idle endlessly because it's -5C, have programmable thermostats, recycle, etc., but I often think the way we are going about addressing the issue is foolish. I know every bit helps, but wouldn't it make sense to start going after the big issues as opposed to starting at the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe this isn't accurate, but I read this several years ago: ".....just one of the world’s largest container ships can emit about as much pollution as 50 million cars.". So that ship running for about 3 minutes will have a greater environmental impact than I will in my lifetime.

Link

Maybe we could start with an easy one, how about we stop lighting up downtown towers at 11 PM when they are 95% empty?

I am talking about garbage and things that go to the landfill or to be recycled. Emissions and such is a whole different topic.

The ruse of slowing emissions in this misguided attempt to try and redirect climate change is a nice way for gov'ts to tax it's citizens into the poorhouse when they know full well that it will have a negligible effect on the climate. It will however ,create billions in wealth for gov't and their friends. One season of fires in BC and northern Canada in general erased any progress we might have made in the next 50 yrs. Canada's Industrial Carbon contribution to the world is a blip compared to places like China/ Russia/USA. I have said this before ... shut this country down completely and make all it's inhabitants disappear ,turn it into a emissions free zone and climate change will march right along merrily as it always has and always will.

I expect to be heartily flamed and charred for this statement but that's ok. I'm not a climate change denier but I am a we can fix the problem denier.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

I seriously almost just choked on some pizza watching that.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Reminds me of Ricky Bobby

“I don’t know what to do with my hands “
Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Banned

Dang owe mang owe plastic, paper water bong bottles mang.

Dang owe crack carbon giblets got him bangin’ like 71 mang.