Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Banned

Default Toronto Raptors

Is no one interested in what’s going on in the NBA? The Raptors are up 3 games to 1 against the Golden State Warriors and they can clinch the title Sunday in TO. I’m not big on basketball but when Canada’s team has a chance of winning a title I’m in like flint. GO RAPTORS!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:19 PM

I will have to admit I never really watched basketball, but must say I have enjoyed their playoff run, caught most of their games. Nice to see a Canadian team that close to a championship, even if it has to be Toronto. And that Drake guy is a bit much.....

But good for them!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-07-2019, 10:35 PM

I have been hoping for Toronto for a while now,they got behind at the beginning and came back strong.If they don't win it I will be surprised.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Is no one interested in what’s going on in the NBA? The Raptors are up 3 games to 1 against the Golden State Warriors and they can clinch the title Sunday in TO. I’m not big on basketball but when Canada’s team has a chance of winning a title I’m in like flint. GO RAPTORS!
game 5 isn't until Monday fyi. like the NHL, they are loving the 2 day breaks in the finals. stupid TV companies.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
game 5 isn't until Monday fyi. like the NHL, they are loving the 2 day breaks in the finals. stupid TV companies.
Thanks! Not sure where I got Sunday from??? We have an NBA get together already planned for Sunday......lol.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Long time big Raptor fan (which is quite rare in western Canada, particularly rural), never thought I'd see the day where they have a good chance of winning finals.

Even if you are hockey die hard, don't love basketball I can't see how people wouldn't be happy with lone non USA NBA team hopefully winning title.

Go Raps!!!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:35 AM

When Kawhi Leonard turns it on it's very nice to watch,very talented player all the way.They paid 190 mil for five years for him,so he earned some tonight.

I hope he goes crazy in TO and pounds in 50 points plus for there victory.

When he made that final shot against Philly on may 12 and fired with 0.3 seconds to win the 7 game series .I think he is the only player I ever seen squat to see if the ball went in.IT bounced 4 times of the rim before it went in.It took 2 seconds for the ball to travel then finally fall in the basket,all players just stopped and watched it go in.

His father was killed at 43 years of age and he I think he was around 16 or 17 ,so for him over come such a bad ordeal at a young age and become such a great player I think is really cool.Plus he was with his father the day his dad got killed and still played that night without his team mates knowing this had happen to his father.

As a K Leonard fan I hope he pounds hard in game 5 and Toronto bangs it home.

JD
Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 AM

That 190 mil for Leonard is still on the table,he becomes free in 2020.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks! Not sure where I got Sunday from??? We have an NBA get together already planned for Sunday......lol.
You can have a NHL get together and watch St Louis win their first cup.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:09 PM

Go Raptors...however the one sided refereeing is clearly trying to sway the outcome.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Go Raptors...however the one sided refereeing is clearly trying to sway the outcome.
My son and I were noticing that too. Extra games mean extra $.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 PM

The officiating has been absurd. Not even like they are trying to be discrete about it. Embarrassing IMO. I like Curry, and Kawhi both. But it's pretty blatant it's not a level playing field.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 PM

Raptors finally hitting some 3 pointers
Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 PM

They look a bit weak today. Missing a pile of shots.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

I find whomever plays the last 10 minutes the best usually wins.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
My son and I were noticing that too. Extra games mean extra $.
Same as in hockey.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Banned

I think that I’ve just become a basketball fan......at least when the Raptors are in the playoffs. Could you imagine the craziness if Lowrey drained that last shot? Exciting stuff! I would have liked to see the Raptors take it tonight but on the bright side I get to watch an extra game......maybe two.

The Raptor gotta start hitting those three pointers. Way too many misses tonight.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Thanks Kyle....
Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Thanks Kyle....
To be fair i think the defender got a partial block on him.

Tough game! 2 more shots to bring home the title though
Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 AM

49 years old and have never in the past showed any interest in basketball, but have been watching the finals and a bit of the series before that. I do hope thy pull it off, it has been fun. Well Drake is annoying me to no end but whatever.
Like I said i am no basketball expert but the reffing has been crazy inconstant, worse than hockey if that's possible.
Also last night's game I want to know, when down by 1 dying seconds why they would go for the three?? Why not drive the net and slam 2 or get a foul which seems to happen most of the time, and get the two free throws?? for the win.
Either way Go Raptors, If Toronto is to get a championship I will allow basketball. Possibly baseball and the Jays but NEVER the Leafs. Haha
Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Also last night's game I want to know, when down by 1 dying seconds why they would go for the three?? Why not drive the net and slam 2 or get a foul which seems to happen most of the time, and get the two free throws??
It's not that simple. Typically the idea is to take a 3 and if it misses, it will rebound farther (vs a close shot), which increases the chances of getting the rebound for a second shot. Also because of location of the arc, defenders almost have to give them room to move (if they want to be able to defend on the drive as well, or help others), which means the shooter has more time to set up properly, and take a good shot.

If I remember correctly from last nights game, GS had a foul to give, so GS could try to foul TR prior to the shot (non-shooting foul), and basically mess up the "draw the foul" layup situation you indicate. And with how well GS was playing D in those dying seconds, they probably would've stripped the ball prior a "Easy" shot is made.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's not that simple. Typically the idea is to take a 3 and if it misses, it will rebound farther (vs a close shot), which increases the chances of getting the rebound for a second shot. Also because of location of the arc, defenders almost have to give them room to move (if they want to be able to defend on the drive as well, or help others), which means the shooter has more time to set up properly, and take a good shot.

If I remember correctly from last nights game, GS had a foul to give, so GS could try to foul TR prior to the shot (non-shooting foul), and basically mess up the "draw the foul" layup situation you indicate. And with how well GS was playing D in those dying seconds, they probably would've stripped the ball prior a "Easy" shot is made.
Makes sense like I said not a Basketball guy in the least. Would have been pretty wild if he sunk that 3 at the buzzer.. Well they need to win the next one and not have GS tie it up. Don't like that scenario at all..
Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Makes sense like I said not a Basketball guy in the least. Would have been pretty wild if he sunk that 3 at the buzzer.. Well they need to win the next one and not have GS tie it up. Don't like that scenario at all..
I played ball for years, but I'm not an NBA fan (NCAA is much better), I have only been watching Toronto's playoff run, and usually only the last quarter.

I will add, that it's also one of those "show" things. Nothing beats a buzzer beater 3 for the championship. That's a "star maker" shot.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM

I broke my only watch the last quarter rule last night and watched the whole game.
I was disappointed at the outcome and with the Raptors fans cheering when Kevin Durant's injured his Achilles tendon I thought that was in very poor taste.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I was disappointed at the outcome and with the Raptors fans cheering when Kevin Durant's injured his Achilles tendon I thought that was in very poor taste.
I agree, but why the hell would KD risk it? Unless he was 100% good, he's only being detrimental to the team, and at this point in the series, you can't have an injured player on the court. I mean, I guess he is 30, and on his way out.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Nevr watched a game in my life. thought, what the heck, turn it on yesterday, watched fro 10 mins and caught about a min aof game time. Still cant stand the game. But ya hopefully raps win
Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I agree, but why the hell would KD risk it? Unless he was 100% good, he's only being detrimental to the team, and at this point in the series, you can't have an injured player on the court. I mean, I guess he is 30, and on his way out.
When he went out of the game, the score was 39-34 for golden state. KD had a hand in 36 of those points, goals and direct assists. Injured or not, if he had been playing in this round, Toronto wouldn't be in the position that they are right now.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Seems like this whole fans cheering KD injury has gotten a bit out of hand, Agree it was in poor taste, and I'm sure people just got wrapped up in the championship frenzy, but you can't tell me if the situation was flipped and they were in Cali, and Lenard went down, Raider fan EEEErrrrrr GS fan wouldn't have done the same thing?? I would bet they would have. I don't get how they are being so high and mighty. Pretty sure I have seen Merica fans cheer an injury or two in my day. Anyways Go Raps!!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Seems like this whole fans cheering KD injury has gotten a bit out of hand, Agree it was in poor taste, and I'm sure people just got wrapped up in the championship frenzy, but you can't tell me if the situation was flipped and they were in Cali, and Lenard went down, Raider fan EEEErrrrrr GS fan wouldn't have done the same thing?? I would bet they would have. I don't get how they are being so high and mighty. Pretty sure I have seen Merica fans cheer an injury or two in my day. Anyways Go Raps!!
I don’t think they were cheeering for the injury. In Canada It’s common in high school basketball to clap for the injured ones to show sympathy. I think that’s what it was.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baticus View Post
When he went out of the game, the score was 39-34 for golden state. KD had a hand in 36 of those points, goals and direct assists. Injured or not, if he had been playing in this round, Toronto wouldn't be in the position that they are right now.
Oh don't get me wrong, KD would be a game changer "if" he was healthy, but as a player, why risk it. Now, his career is for sure over due to this injury.2