Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Rainy Ridge lake.

its time for my to knock a certain species of fish off my bucket list. i think i decided id start at rainy ridge lake. just having some troubling locating the trail head? any one care to provide some insight or tips or experiences hiking into this lake?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 AM

There used to be a sign for the trailhead in the general area just past the ski hill, but I'm not sure if it's there or not anymore. Last time I drove by it it had been knocked down, and that was quite a few years ago.

The trailhead up to Southfork Lakes on Barnaby Ridge is a bit easier to find - I have never been up to Rainy Ridge (it's on my list), but I've caught goldens on my two trips up Barnaby. The hike up to the middle lake on Barnaby Ridge takes about 2.5 hours.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 AM

from what i gather my main trail is easy to find. just looking for some info where you have to cut up to the ridge. is there a defined trail there or is it just bush whacking? i know i found some articles saying there was a trail... but i havent been able to find any info thats current.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Have a look on Google maps ( satellite ) find the lake and you might find the trail, or a way there.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Never been but a quick google search came up with this description....

"Rainy Ridge Lake is located in the Castle Special Management Area in the Southern Alberta Rockies. Accessing this lake can be difficult with one access over a pass from BC and the other from an ATV trail along the West Castle River. I have never tried the BC access but if you are planning to get up from the ATV trail I highly recommend you try to find the right trail. Follow the road passed Castle Mountain Ski Resort and then head up the ATV trail to the left (where there is the one and only sign for Rainy Ridge Lake) to the ATV bridge a few KM's down. Head down the ATV trail from this bridge for about 15 minutes (walking speed) or so until you reach a vague trail into the bush on the right (or another a few meters down the trail). From here you must head almost straight up a mostly overgrown trail most of the way up the mountain until you hit some steep rock where you will find a decent trail (with a bit of tree fall) going north. This trail takes you along the base of the rocks and then around to the lake. I give you these directions in the hopes you don't attempt the bushwack from the ATV bridge as this was very rough making my first time Golden Trout experience a memorable one. The lake itself is clear and not too deep as you can see the bottom on a sunny calm day."
Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 AM

"from here you must head almost straight up a mostly overgrown trail most of the way up the mountain until you hit some steep rock where you will find a decent trail "

its this part im asking about. i have found the rest. is this marked? hows the condition of it?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Just PM'd you