Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Default Transducer mounting block without drilling

I'd like to mount a larger tranducer block on the boat to fit two transducers but would like to stay away from drilling into the boat. I see "stern saver" has a block that epoxies on. Wondering if anyone has experience with those or would I be just as well off getting a regular block with some type of marine adhesive. Thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 PM

All sorts of options with these guys.
I really like the magnetic mounts.

https://www.fishfindermounts.com/whi...or-your-finder
Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM

I made my own and glued it on with gorilla glue, still holding strong after a year and a half
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 PM

I used a puck board and pl 400 to glue it on
Old 06-08-2019, 12:06 AM

We tried the stern saver with the supplied glue and a humminbird HD ducer. Lasted about 20 mins and flew off. The permanent 3m silicone or some PL might be a better choice.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 AM

A pc of umhw ( plastic ) Glued on with pl 400 or epoxy would be my choice.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 AM

Curious about the suggestions to use pl 400. I know how hard that stuff will bond wood from my old construction days but I'm a little skeptical for under water use. Not saying it won't work long term just a bit skeptical.

I do like the magnetic mount idea, wonder how thick a transom they will work on.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Just speculating since I’ve never tried it but would magnets around the ducer possibly cause some distortion or interference?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM

3m 5200 - it's formulated for permanent marine use above and below the waterline.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM

I did the epoxy trick on mine a few years ago and is still rock solid. I am sure 5200 would do the trick and would make it so it would never come off if thats what you want. Great stuff as I used it on a previous boat. If you use it remember it takes several days to fully cure so plan before you head out. Nasty stuff to remove but one that does what it says especially when water is involved.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I'd like to mount a larger tranducer block on the boat to fit two transducers but would like to stay away from drilling into the boat. I see "stern saver" has a block that epoxies on. Wondering if anyone has experience with those or would I be just as well off getting a regular block with some type of marine adhesive. Thanks
Won’t you get interference if you mount 2 transducers close to each other ?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:38 PM

I used 3M 5200 rapid cure, and a partial sheet of plastic that I cut specific to my transom, both materials specified by Calgary Industrial Plastics for the specific job. I think $40 for the advice and the materials. Very happy with results. If your in Calgary I think I have enuff left over for another transom i.e. yours.

Read a lot about where to place board etc. (no turbulences, how deep in water transducer needs to be and therefore where mounting screws should b, smooth water flow etc.), also how to angle the transducer apon install so that it read straight down when boat underway etc..) very happy with results.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Default transducer in oil

Not sure if your transducer has this capability or not ?? Or even if it applies.

most of the new boats coming out of the boat yards here in the east coast are not drilling the hulls for transducers. any more..their placing their transducers in a sealed container with mineral oil and fastening them into the inside of the hull. Just grommet and seal the cable hole in the lid.
Most of the new sounders / transducers will show how to set it up in the manual...it gives you that option.
Says the fiberglass will have no effect on the echo coming or going ..or at any speed of echo out or return.

I'm talking 40 and 60 foot lobster / fishing boats with thick hulls and keels. Most will have 2 or 3 sounders on board one for each plotter or Olex.

***may also work on a smaller scale transducer too ??? not 100 % sure but might be worth asking the dealer or rep about it.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Curious about the suggestions to use pl 400. I know how hard that stuff will bond wood from my old construction days but I'm a little skeptical for under water use. Not saying it won't work long term just a bit skeptical.

I do like the magnetic mount idea, wonder how thick a transom they will work on.
its been on for 3 years now
Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 AM

I mount the transducer to a board and then use a C-clamp to secure it to the stern. Not knowing your boat I'm not sure if this is an option for your stern. I can then remove it at the end of day for travel and not risk any damage to the transducer during travel.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Won’t you get interference if you mount 2 transducers close to each other ?
One wouldn't normally have them both active at the same time. You would switch from one to the other as conditions warrant.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Some are meant to be close together and do run at the same time. Example would be an LSS 1 or 2 and a P66 or Lowrance 200/83. One is SI the other is 2d.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. The two transducers wouldn't be running at the same time in this case.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 PM

3M 5200 and don't look back. You can get quick cure now too.