Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Muzzle Brake Question-Hells Canyon

I'm interested in a Browning Hells Canyon LR in .26 Nosler, I plan to hunt with out the brake but during bench shooting would like to keep it on( I shoot private land so wont be upsetting people at the range) Does the factory brake reduce recoil enough to make the rifle enjoyable enough to be able to allow me to work on my longer range shooting? I've been told that the combination of recoil pad, muzzle brake & barrel length already make these guns more user friendly than other makes/models in the same cartridges. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 AM

I bought a 308 Xbolt long range stalker with a 26 inch barrel in august.i think this is pretty much the same as a HC .I have only a 3-9-40 scope on it so have only shot it a little past 300yds which I know is not long range.it is very low recoiling with the brake ,pad combo compared to my 2 other 308s.the minimal recoil is more of a slight backward push.no muzzle jump really.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Banned

Use the brake. That’s why they put it on. Just make sure that you wear ear plugs
Point of impact typically moves when you take the brake off. Just leave it on
Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 PM

I've been shooting a Remington 7 rem mag for ten years as my go to gun, the recoil doesn't really bother me, I just have the urge to shoot a new gun & try my hand at some longer range shooting. I figure if I could get similar energy & trajectory out of the .26 with a lot less recoil it would be ideal for extra time behind the gun. I guess what I'm asking is how much less felt recoil a braked .26 would be compared to a non braked 7mm.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 PM

Really depends on the size and style of the brake. Typically heavier barrels can take larger brakes which are more effective. Some of the top brakes can reduce recoil as much as 40-50%. These are usually a side port design with the ports angled back. I’m not familiar with brownings brake but it should definitely reduce the recoil somewhat. As mentioned wear heating protection.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 PM

With my braked 7LRM I have no problem spotting my shots at 1100 yards with 180 Berger hybrids at 3100 FPS
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Banned

Most new brakes have the ports going slightly forward so that the shooter doesn’t get the brunt of the blast. Everyone else plug your ears. With a brake on you will enjoy shooting your new rig. If you can find a hells canyon long range or a x bolt pro, I think the added features are worth the money. I’ve had 2 26 noslers and I sold them both to the same guy. The last one I should have kept. You’ll enjoy it
Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 AM
Banned

Got exactly the gun you're looking to get. Love it. I haven't shot it with out the brake but with the brake I can spot the hits on my 400 yd gong

Correction mine is the hells canyon speed. .

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 10-17-2018 at 06:51 AM.