Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Default Blackfoot (WMU 936) Orientation Sessions

For those that are hunting in 936 and haven't done their orientation session yet, this link shows the dates and times for the 2017 sessions.

Orientation sessions are mandatory, and are valid for five years. You do need to get your discharge permit renewed every year, however. This permit needs to be carried with you while hunting in the park.

The dates are:
  • Friday, August 25, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Friday, October 13, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Friday, October 20, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.

They recommend calling ahead (780-922-3293) to RSVP.

It looks like the location has changed from previous years as well - it used to be held in the Park Office at Waskehegan, but the information at the parks link now states it's at the Miquelon Park Centre. Good move, IMO.

Best of luck to all that were drawn for elk or moose in there!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not due for my next refresher till 2019. That sure seems like a much further drive for the orientation class. Have to admit it was pretty cramped in the basement of the ranger stn. where it used to be held. MPC looks like a nice facility.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Have to admit it was pretty cramped in the basement of the ranger stn. where it used to be held. MPC looks like a nice facility.
Cramped is right!

The last time I went, someone kept breaking wind during the session, which had quite an effect in such a small space. Oh, the dirty looks I received! (...understandably, as I was the only stinky buffalo in the room...)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not due for my next refresher till 2019. That sure seems like a much further drive for the orientation class. Have to admit it was pretty cramped in the basement of the ranger stn. where it used to be held. MPC looks like a nice facility.
I went to the session in August, and I had no idea about MPC before I went. It's a beautiful area and the visitor center is definitely an upgrade from the ranger station.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM

Hello,
Just a quick question. Do these sessions have a maximum number for attendees? I called the park and requested a call back. Still waiting.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Is this still good to go for the 13th?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Is this still good to go for the 13th?
According to the web site, it should still be good to go - although if you haven't RSVP'd by now there may not be room for tonight's session. RSVP at 780-922-3293.

For those that didn't get a call back within a day or two, I would suggest calling again... The staff get pretty busy at this time of year and they are doing their best to keep up.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
According to the web site, it should still be good to go - although if you haven't RSVP'd by now there may not be room for tonight's session. RSVP at 780-922-3293.

For those that didn't get a call back within a day or two, I would suggest calling again... The staff get pretty busy at this time of year and they are doing their best to keep up.
I find leaving a message then trying around lunch if the best way to get someone.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 PM

In case it hasn’t been posted, this year’s dates are:

(Register in advance by calling the park office.)

Friday, August 24, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Friday, October 12, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Friday, October 19, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Friday, October 26, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.

Link is here. https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...harge-permits/.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting through to anyone there? I’ve been trying to get my discharge permit, but the rangers aren’t answering anymore, or calling back to voicemail.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystiri View Post
Has anyone had any luck getting through to anyone there? I’ve been trying to get my discharge permit, but the rangers aren’t answering anymore, or calling back to voicemail.
i was there last week to get my permit. I just popped in and met them at the office. Sort of took a chance with someone being there but for the most part anytime ive stopped there someones been there.

I know last year no one would ever return a friends voicemail no matter how many he left.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Orientation Duration

My fiancé and I are doing our orientation tomorrow, was wondering if anyone could Let me know about how long the orientation takes? Thanks I’m advance

BG
Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
My fiancé and I are doing our orientation tomorrow, was wondering if anyone could Let me know about how long the orientation takes? Thanks I’m advance

BG
Can't remember exactly but I'd plan to be there 2-3 hours in total with getting permits.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:

BG
The speech is about 45 minutes, get there early and you can get your paperwork done before hand. Takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form. The staff just review it, sign and photocopy it. If you wait until after the speech you could be waiting a long time to get processed.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The speech is about 45 minutes, get there early and you can get your paperwork done before hand. Takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form. The staff just review it, sign and photocopy it. If you wait until after the speech you could be waiting a long time to get processed.
Awesome! Great advice, thank you.

Also, they want information on the rifles/bows I’ll be using? Serial numbers too or just make/model/ cal?

BG
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Also, they want information on the rifles/bows I’ll be using? Serial numbers too or just make/model/ cal?

BG
Just make and model. I was hunting there last night and had a good chat with one of the wardens. She indicated they are stepping up their inspections and wanted to see my permit and gear I was using.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:

BG
Make, model, and action type. So far they have not asked for caliber on paper but I have been asked for caliber or gauge when I was inspected while on the trails. Just to make sure I'm using a legal firearm.
For example my permit could say:
Rem 700 B/A
Beretta A300 S/A
Cooey 39 S/S

One more thing to note. Make sure they get the expiry date on the permit right. So far they have only gotten it right once in 7 seasons. On year they wrote the date as the end of the deer season but I indicated birds as well. Not a big deal but could land you in trouble if the officer had a problem with it.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Ok Sounds good, we are going to go early as to have ample time to get the paperwork done. I’ll make a list tonight of the firearms we will be using.

Anyone hunt ducks/geese in there? Or is it allowed even?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM

Ive never hunted the lake but lots of people do have some success. I would not suggest duck hunting the smaller ponds as they look shallow but have very muddy bottoms. Even a few ponds dogs have a hard time getting out of.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Ive never hunted the lake but lots of people do have some success. I would not suggest duck hunting the smaller ponds as they look shallow but have very muddy bottoms. Even a few ponds dogs have a hard time getting out of.
Copy that. Haha. Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Jump shooting the small ponds with a dog would be fun. Never done it though as no dog.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Ok Sounds good, we are going to go early as to have ample time to get the paperwork done. I’ll make a list tonight of the firearms we will be using.

Anyone hunt ducks/geese in there? Or is it allowed even?
I tried a few times last year with the kayak for retrieving. Soooo many diving mud ducks. Definitely need to be at the right pond at the right time for mallard and Canadas because they are there in the summer.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM

I been calling all week to reserve a spot but goes straight to voicemail and no body as called me back...
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
I been calling all week to reserve a spot but goes straight to voicemail and no body as called me back...
I too have been trying to call without any luck. That is why I turned to the forum here for some advice. I hope the orientation is still a go... haha
Old 10-19-2018, 07:27 AM

...just go early enough and they will get your stuff done. I am sure, if your not signed up for a session, they will put you on the list there.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanator View Post
...just go early enough and they will get your stuff done. I am sure, if your not signed up for a session, they will put you on the list there.
I booked the fiancé and I in, and we will go early to hopefully speed the process up. After that we continue heading east for some goose and duck hunting this weekend in the wainwright area.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM

You might not catch the Rangers all the time cause they are all over the park right now. I got inspected by two different Rangers in the same day on Wednesday.

Side note, where have all the elk gone?? Saw six moose on the walk in, and no elk lol
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Sounds like the rangers keep a tight watch in the area. Which is great IMO. Have there been lots of issues with hunters in the area?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:12 AM

I know there are lots of issues with people killing non game species like beaver and muskrat. Saw a coyote last year someone shot as well. There are a few shots fired in the safe zones every once in awhile. This year I found a few ducks some shot an left. Also found a site where someone dumped a bunch of apples, good chance it was going to be used as a bait site but I can't say that with 100% certainty. I imagine there are a fair number of people who don't have a discharge permit as well.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 AM

If there are guys/gals on here that regular the area, I’d be happy to trade some contact info and perhaps meet some of you, my fiance included would be happy to know some fellow outdoorsmen/women in the area as she is newer to hunting. We hunt a lot of private land east and west of the city, so it would be comforting to have some contacts in an area like this.

BG