Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Default Quackers

Where have all the quackers gone around edmonton lots of food no ducks.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Plenty of canada geese around Lamount county east of elk island, not as many ducks as usual though but a few.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:53 AM

We have seen lots of ducks in westlock area. But only on a water.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Been bright out at night so they are probably feeding after dark
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM

I went out to our usual area on Thurs nite, couldn't spot a worthwhile goose shoot. Covered a lot of ground in an area that usually has its peak about now, and turned around and came home yesterday. Even the duck ponds were mostly deserted. Last week's weather seems to have pushed them out a bit further south, and the northern birds haven't really showed yet, or jumped the area. All but one of the major roosts were empty, duck ponds that usually hold 300+ ducks were nearly empty. Was the first time I went there in the last 9 yrs and flat out could not come up with a shoot in the evening, or a field to watch the next day. It wasn't any better looking yesterday AM. Seem to be in a hole there, people have birds 100Km north, and 100km south. Weird situation.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM

It’s been a very weird year. The pattens that have held steady for the last ten years are not the same this year. I think the southern guys will have a banner year
Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I went out to our usual area on Thurs nite, couldn't spot a worthwhile goose shoot. Covered a lot of ground in an area that usually has its peak about now, and turned around and came home yesterday. Even the duck ponds were mostly deserted. Last week's weather seems to have pushed them out a bit further south, and the northern birds haven't really showed yet, or jumped the area. All but one of the major roosts were empty, duck ponds that usually hold 300+ ducks were nearly empty. Was the first time I went there in the last 9 yrs and flat out could not come up with a shoot in the evening, or a field to watch the next day. It wasn't any better looking yesterday AM. Seem to be in a hole there, people have birds 100Km north, and 100km south. Weird situation.
Totally agree with you on this. Been strange around these parts this year. My usual stomping grounds arent holding enough ducks to make it worthwhile to set up! To top it off I bought a brand new A400 the second week of the season and it’s still in the box!!!
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
No better in Edmonton. First weekend with no shoot. Tempted to pick a field and hope for stragglers.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Bird numbers certainly have dropped off quickly in this week in central Alberta,,,, and when you do find birds one day,,, the next day they seem to be gone.

With all the unsettled weather this fall and wild swings between miserable and mild pushing harvest way behind, this fall proved to be difficult to find well patterned birds. There was still some great hunting around, but you had to the hit the birds right away once you found them as they seemed to switch fields more often than most hunters cnange their underwear!!!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Drove Edmonton to Athabasca and north yesterday. Prime time there and back. After St. Albert and Big Lake, literally n o ducks. Not a lot of geese either.

Expected that Egg Lake by Morinville would have birds, but nothing going on.

Farmers are going flat out, and fields are being picked up fast, so that's good!

While we had bad weather Edmonton and south, up in the Peace country they did not get the snows and the birds had feed and open water.

Expect that once we get the hard freeze up north the birds will move south.

This is still better than some recent years where mid November we were in + C weather and the lakes were wide open up north.

Drewski

Drewski