Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Default After Market Cheek Rests

I need a riser for proper cheek placement on My Tikka T3 with a 50mm objective scope. I have looked at many kinds like the Kadex bolt on ones that need drilling or the Velcro mount options.

I am just not sure which route to go as I am not too keen on drilling a laminate stock. Just wondering what other people are using and any advice on what you have used would be appreciated.

Thanks

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM

They are available as an after market item from stoegers Canada. Had Sylvestres sports in Bonnyville bring one in for me. A little pricey at $80 but it fits perfectly and works on the Ruger rimfire stocks as well. You can mount it with the supplied screw & plug or with an adhesive tape. They brought brought a few extras in if you are interested. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM

I use a Bradley on my MacMillan Big-Mac stock for my .50BMG.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:04 PM

They are a little ugly, but I like the SKD PIG stock pack or the Triad Tactical Stock Packs for extra comb height and a little storage. No permanent changes to the rifle needed.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Kadex

I too have the same issue, and was worried about drilling my stock (as it is hollow with an internal skeleton frame)...got the Kadex and bit the bullet and had the guys at Calgary Shooting Centre do the install. It looks factory, and works awesome! Sako A7...so probably be the same for your Tikka...just my thoughts, but it worked for me. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 PM

Made mine out of Kydex and use tubular shaped copper pipe insulation cut to shape to adjust/support the height and secure with velcro. I payed about $15 for a 9x12 sheet a few years ago. Cannot recall the thickness as it does come in various thicknesses. it may not be pretty but is functional.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:51 PM

I also have a Tikka T3. I use a Triad Tactical stock pack to get me where I need to be. The one I have came with a few extra velcro strips so you can add height if needed. Works well for me. It also gives me a place to keep a spare mag
Old 07-28-2018, 08:18 AM

I use a Beartooth Products comb raising kit on a couple of my rifles. It's a spandex sock lined with grippy latex to keep it in place. Comes with several foam inserts of varying thickness to build up the comb height. I'm very happy with the way they look and stay in place very well. Can simply be removed if you don't like it or want to sell the rifle later. Comes in black, brown and camo, with or without bullet band.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:53 AM

Thank you for all your help.

Right now I am leaning towards drilling, I can always plug the holes if I need to.

Thinking of a Matthew's Fabrication bear's paw in blue digital camo. To me it seems like a solid choice for a hunting rifle. I will probably change my mind a few more times...

https://matthewsfabrication.com/prod...ex-cheek-rest/

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-20-2018, 12:03 AM

Anyone have photos of their setups?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western View Post
Anyone have photos of their setups?
The kit comes with several foam inserts of varying thickness...I put one on top of the comb and cut another for the side for a cheek rest. Got that 50 mm scope lined up right to my eyeball. (High rings)

Last edited by gunluvr; 10-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Thank you for all your help.

Right now I am leaning towards drilling, I can always plug the holes if I need to.

Thinking of a Matthew's Fabrication bear's paw in blue digital camo. To me it seems like a solid choice for a hunting rifle. I will probably change my mind a few more times...

https://matthewsfabrication.com/prod...ex-cheek-rest/
Probably works but REALLY UGLY and I would think those big knobs would be a major pain on a hunting rifle. I would go with the sock or order a stock from Boyds. Their AT1 Has both LOP and cheek riser so you can adjust for heavy versus light cloths as well. Fully finished laminate for T#, 190 bucks plus shipping and exchange., their adjustable cheek version looks good and works. Also means you have the stock factory one if you ever want to sell the gun.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Default cheek rest

Look on amazon.ca they have Velcro rests that can be built up with a little foam The good part with these is that they also have a small zipped pouch and shell holder.
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Default What I did...

I did end up drilling the Kadex one on the stock with the big ugly knobs. It is not the most attractive set up but it is solid, effective, and holds its position. I wanted to use this stock as it is pillared and bedded and it is a varmint hunting rig so I don't think the knobs will be that much of a pain however I am looking for a lower profile replacement for the knobs. I also don't think the digital camo matches up very nice but oh well. I did look at the Boyd's stocks but the last one I had was Heavy & Bulky so I decided against it. Anyways this is what I have for now and I will make it work. Unsure yet if I'd do it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180910_134951.jpg (53.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20180910_135036.jpg (65.5 KB, 80 views)

Old 10-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Looks good for its purpose on a field gun.

Have you tried it in late season cold temperatures yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I use a Beartooth Products comb raising kit on a couple of my rifles. It's a spandex sock lined with grippy latex to keep it in place. Comes with several foam inserts of varying thickness to build up the comb height. I'm very happy with the way they look and stay in place very well. Can simply be removed if you don't like it or want to sell the rifle later. Comes in black, brown and camo, with or without bullet band.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Probably works but REALLY UGLY and I would think those big knobs would be a major pain on a hunting rifle. I would go with the sock or order a stock from Boyds. Their AT1 Has both LOP and cheek riser so you can adjust for heavy versus light cloths as well. Fully finished laminate for T#, 190 bucks plus shipping and exchange., their adjustable cheek version looks good and works. Also means you have the stock factory one if you ever want to sell the gun.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
I was looking at the AT-ONE stocks for a couple rifles. They're quite nice. Researched some and I think you'd need a few accessories too, such as different grips and beaver tail front end, for example. The price is in US dollars. I think it would end up being btw 300-400 bucks by the time it gets to your door.
(do you know what the shipping $ is from Boyds?)
Another one is their Pro-Varmint, which is cheaper, and it can be ordered with a cheek riser.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
The kit comes with several foam inserts of varying thickness...I put one on top of the comb and cut another for the side for a cheek rest. Got that 50 mm scope lined up right to my eyeball. (High rings)
I like this one. Where can you order them from and how much are they?

I looked them up, might get one...

Last edited by score; 10-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:03 PM

Bass pro or cabelas online. Maybe amazon.

Cost about 30.00
Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 AM

It attempting to get a Savage Mark II stock to be less miserable to use, I ordered an accu-riser, molded rubber affair that you screw onto your stock. For the price/ease of mounting/factory look~it worked fantastic. Used another on a different stock that didn't match as well, but worked just as well. Considering one for my Savage 10, even though the stock geometry is almost right on it.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 AM

...and they ship to Canada, or did when I ordered them. (pre-Trump )
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
I was looking at the AT-ONE stocks for a couple rifles. They're quite nice. Researched some and I think you'd need a few accessories too, such as different grips and beaver tail front end, for example. The price is in US dollars. I think it would end up being btw 300-400 bucks by the time it gets to your door.
(do you know what the shipping $ is from Boyds?)
Another one is their Pro-Varmint, which is cheaper, and it can be ordered with a cheek riser.
200 U.S. is already $260 after exchange so add the shipping of about $75 and you will be close to the $350 mark. You can order two or three socks, as long as the total is not more than $500 not counting shipping, and the shipping pretty much stays the same. If you want two or have a buddy that wants one it helps. All in though, you can't buy an equivalent stock up here for any where close to that little money.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:07 PM

DON'T BUY an ATONE. Boyd service is terrible and the fitment of the ATONE is junk.

I have an ATONE on my savage model 11 and it took a ton of work to fit properly. The accessories are expensive and fit poorly. I've had to make a new grip, and adjustable butt pad that fits properly.

The money I'm into now for I could of bought a nice GRS stock
Old 10-24-2018, 12:22 PM

I needed my comb 1/2” higher.
I bought a cartridge holder and built up under it with double sided tape. Works great.
First try I put four under two at twotwintyfive. Gun fits like a glove.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW87 View Post
DON'T BUY an ATONE. Boyd service is terrible and the fitment of the ATONE is junk.

I have an ATONE on my savage model 11 and it took a ton of work to fit properly. The accessories are expensive and fit poorly. I've had to make a new grip, and adjustable butt pad that fits properly.

The money I'm into now for I could of bought a nice GRS stock
totally agree. while the concept is awesome; and all the adjustments are there, the feel is absolutely gross. sharp edges and bulky. a real let down from boyds.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
I put one of the Bear Comb Riser on my Hunting rifle. It's awesome.

The only thing I noticed though is that foam keeps slipping when I target shoot. What I did to stop that is put a bit of duct tape to attach the foam to the stock.
Before doing that though, make sure that the cheek rise is at the proper height for yourself.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:05 AM

I made an adjustable one out of Kydex for my .22 and it works well and was a fun exercise, but for my centrefire I went with scrap foam and vet wrap. Done in 20 minutes for around 5 bucks.

Vetwrap is a double-sided tape made by 3m that is used to wrap horses ankles and apply bandages. It is a type of crepe bandage that is none sticky and adheres to itself. Also, it is very elastic and conforms tightly to your stock shape. It is nice and soft and has been holding up well. Sounds kinda weird, but it is hard to imagine going any other route after trying it. The only downside is that it would not adjust quickly for different users or if you change between scope and irons regularly.

(edit: also will not mar stock and is lightweight and could even be reused in the field to wrap an ankle)

http://www.range365.com/diy-rifle-co...r-pad-on-cheap

Last edited by mattthegorby; 10-26-2018 at 07:13 AM.