Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Frontal Shots

What are your opinions on taking frontal shots? Today while out i rattled a young buck in, but he wasn't exactly sure where i was. 70 yards out i gave a quick doe bleat which got him coming real quick. Once he heard the bleat he made a bee line straight towards me, resulting in me never getting any sort of broadside shot. He got to about 10 yards when he finally stopped saw me, leaving me with only a frontal shot. I let him go as i wasn't 100% sure if a frontal shot was a good shot. So what are your opinions on taking frontal shots? And just to make things clear, shooting from the ground, as im guessing you wouldn't ever want to take this sort of shot from a stand.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Out of a stand....bad angle and the area you have to his is way smaller than a playing card on a deer.

Archery tackle is not designed for a shot like that...broadside or quartering away only.

LC
Old 11-10-2015, 05:28 PM

Lots of videos out there with frontal shots.
personally since 1966 I have never tried a frontal shot on big game and never will , I''m just not good enough nor have my stick bows ever been powerful enough to thread the needle.
Cat
Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
What are your opinions on taking frontal shots? Today while out i rattled a young buck in, but he wasn't exactly sure where i was. 70 yards out i gave a quick doe bleat which got him coming real quick. Once he heard the bleat he made a bee line straight towards me, resulting in me never getting any sort of broadside shot. He got to about 10 yards when he finally stopped saw me, leaving me with only a frontal shot. I let him go as i wasn't 100% sure if a frontal shot was a good shot. So what are your opinions on taking frontal shots? And just to make things clear, shooting from the ground, as im guessing you wouldn't ever want to take this sort of shot from a stand.
Thanks
Low percentage shot. Lots of forums on this, have a look with the search function
Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Absolutely take the shot if you are confident that you can hit where you need to.
Like you said from the ground only.
Know the anatomy and make the kill.
You have to be able to hit a grapefruit sized target every time at the yardage you intend to take the shot at.
Any animal on edge or knows you are there really lessens the chance of success and you should probably pass on it.
Anyways just my thoughts. Keep it together, rob
Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 PM

I'd shoot center mass from ground or a tree. Have done it, 3 times and would do it again.
Range and horsepower come into play though. Each time I've been 10-15 yards max, no further in my experience thus far.
Personally wouldn't push it out much more. Penetration doesn't come into play so much at the super close ranges.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=263664

In short, don't. Even if you can shoot that well, first shot, under field conditions, and the deer doesn't react, you get a dang mess inside and the distinct possibility of losing a lot of meat.

Good call.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=katts69;3028475]Absolutely take the shot if you are confident that you can hit where you need to.
Like you said from the ground only.
Know the anatomy and make the kill.
You have to be able to hit a grapefruit sized target every time at the yardage you intend to take the shot at.

I took this shot on an aggressive bull moose this past fall. Broadhead cut the top of the heart off and stopped when it hit the pelvis. The moose was 20 feet away.
A deer at 10 yards in front of me with a front on shot is dead, but i regularly shoot 60 yards for practise.
The point made earlier is that if the deer is close (20 yards or less) and you can hit a grapefruit under pressure give er. When the deer is under 20 yards with a compound bow, the deer doesn't really have time to react.
But if you have the feeling not to shoot don't. Confidence is key. Accuracy diminishes with less confidence.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM

I took my first frontal shot this year on a mule deer. It was 18 yards away looking straight at me, and I was at full draw. I decided to aim low, where I thought the jugular would be, and carry on and take out a lung. When I released the arrow, I was dismayed at the poor penetration. When I recovered the deer, I saw my plan worked out. My broadhead when through the thick neck meat, severed the jugular, cut through the chest, took out a lung, exited through the ribs, and stopped in the meat outside the ribs. No pass through.
I'd take this shot again, but no farther than 20 yards,

Last edited by Riverbc; 11-12-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 AM

I don't really bow hunt but this has been the most striking archery kill I've ever seen, and it was a frontal shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrWYuh_s1RQ
Old 11-13-2015, 01:46 AM

its called a low percentage shot by experienced bow hunters for good reason .
Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
its called a low percentage shot by experienced bow hunters for good reason .
Exactly, the game we pursue deserves a quick, ethical death.
You get lucky every now and then but this is not Vegas, it is hunting.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM

Not a shot I am willing to take.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:13 PM

It works if conditions are right, and the closer the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrow1.jpg (31.0 KB, 59 views)