Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Springfield 1903 peep sight

A couple years ago i picked up a very nice Springfield 1903 in 30-06. It hasn't been drilled and tapped for a scope, but has a nice Redfield peep sight on it. It is dead on at 50 yards, but I'm having a hard time hitting anything at 100+ with any sort of accuracy. I have tried adjusting the sight to zero at 100, but given the condition and age of the Redfield sight, it doesn't seem to be adjusting correctly.

Does anyone have more experience with the Redfield sight? Maybe there is just some operator error?

Can anyone recommend a replacement sight for this age of rifle? I've looked at trying to find a Williams or Lyman sight, but can't seem to track one down.

I'm hoping some of our more experienced members can weigh in here, as i am hoping to fill my moose tag this year with this rifle.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2019, 11:51 AM

Are you hitting the paper at 100?
You you are zeroed at 50 you should at least be on the paper and not too
at 100 if you are using the same targets.
It could also be how you are perceiving and aiming with the front sight
There is usually a locking screw on the older Lyman and Redfield peeps are you unlocking it before adjusting?
Cat
Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Banned

Using a proper target that works well with a peep rear, post front is important. Maybe try to marker in a large heavy black “V” with the point on the bullseye. Your post will sit below the point more consistently.

Or if you have a globe type front use a big black dot that centres in the globe.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Default I have one

I have a sporter 1903 nickel receiver with the Redfield model 70 peep sight.Serial # 's are important with the 1903 as some had poorly heat treated in the lower serial # ranges before using warmer loads.For hunting the disc is usually removed but for target it is used for more precision shooting.Is yours installed.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM

I've used a Williams receiver sight on my '03 many years ago when I could still clearly see irons and found the combination to be quite accurate. I have a couple in my '03 "inventory" if you're interested in trying something else.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Are you hitting the paper at 100?
You you are zeroed at 50 you should at least be on the paper and not too
at 100 if you are using the same targets.
It could also be how you are perceiving and aiming with the front sight
There is usually a locking screw on the older Lyman and Redfield peeps are you unlocking it before adjusting?
Cat

Cat,

The locking screw is backed off before adjusting, otherwise it physically stops the elevation adjustment knob from turning. I am on paper at 100 but am usually 5-6 inches high. When I try to adjust the sight for this it doesn't seem to change point of impact, despite physically moving the sight.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:33 PM

In still hunt with a Sporterized Enfield with a Williams peep sight occasionally as well as open sights.
Cat

Old 08-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I have a sporter 1903 nickel receiver with the Redfield model 70 peep sight.Serial # 's are important with the 1903 as some had poorly heat treated in the lower serial # ranges before using warmer loads.For hunting the disc is usually removed but for target it is used for more precision shooting.Is yours installed.
Mine is in the higher serial number. Not sure what you mean by the "disc" being installed or not.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Mine is in the higher serial number. Not sure what you mean by the "disc" being installed or not.
There may be a screw in aperture on the sight , unless it has already been removed.
is there a big hole to look through?
Cat
Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Cat,

The locking screw is backed off before adjusting, otherwise it physically stops the elevation adjustment knob from turning. I am on paper at 100 but am usually 5-6 inches high. When I try to adjust the sight for this it doesn't seem to change point of impact, despite physically moving the sight.
Same size target?

If you hold your thumb against the movable part of thee sight, you should be able to feel it coming down as you move thee elevation screw.
Cat
Old 08-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywrench View Post
I've used a Williams receiver sight on my '03 many years ago when I could still clearly see irons and found the combination to be quite accurate. I have a couple in my '03 "inventory" if you're interested in trying something else.
Thanks, I will let you know. Im gonna try and see if i can get the Lyman sight to work first.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Same size target?

If you hold your thumb against the movable part of thee sight, you should be able to feel it coming down as you move thee elevation screw.
Cat
Yes same size target.

And.. Wow i apologize. I have a Lyman sight, and have been incorrectly referring to it as a Redfield sight today.

I can see and feel the sight moving as i adjust it, just doesn't seem to be making a difference on target.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yes same size target.

And.. Wow i apologize. I have a Lyman sight, and have been incorrectly referring to it as a Redfield sight today.

I can see and feel the sight moving as i adjust it, just doesn't seem to be making a difference on target.
If you can feel the right moving it is more than likely your sight picture that is the culprit!
Lyman’s are great sights as well!
Cat
Old 08-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Pics of the sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3752.jpg (57.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3753.jpg (46.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Pics of the sight.
Is that with thee 50 yard zero?
I just took a second peak and the rear insert has already been removed BTW
Cat
Old 08-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Proper sized rear aperture will help, then at least, it will help you center the sight a bit better, shot to shot, as it easier to work the front sight in the smaller frame. The rear sight does perhaps seem low on the setting, proper peep may help that situation also.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Is that with thee 50 yard zero?
I just took a second peak and the rear insert has already been removed BTW
Cat
Yes that's with 50 yard zero.

So I'm guessing i will need to find a rear insert for it, or get a different sight?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Proper sized rear aperture will help, then at least, it will help you center the sight a bit better, shot to shot, as it easier to work the front sight in the smaller frame. The rear sight does perhaps seem low on the setting, proper peep may help that situation also.
Yeah I hear what you're saying. Not sure if i can get a smaller aperture for the Lyman, or maybe should invest in a new sight. Either way the info and insight from everyone is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Default U r

Missing the target disc/aperature
Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
In still hunt with a Sporterized Enfield with a Williams peep sight occasionally as well as open sights.
Cat

Dammit cat, you have got to sell me that LE! JK, I recently acquired a Parker Hale no1 custom that will be getting a Williams sight mounted whenever the local smith has time. In the meantime I'm doing pretty good with the open sights, I don't think I'll be taking it on my river hunt but it will be stalking the ridges with me this season for sure.

In other news I have a couple of BSA sporters that will be getting sold.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Dammit cat, you have got to sell me that LE! JK, I recently acquired a Parker Hale no1 custom that will be getting a Williams sight mounted whenever the local smith has time. In the meantime I'm doing pretty good with the open sights, I don't think I'll be taking it on my river hunt but it will be stalking the ridges with me this season for sure.

In other news I have a couple of BSA sporters that will be getting sold.
Well, everything has its price ya know!
Cat
Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Missing the target disc/aperature
Thanks. Wheres the best place to try and source a new aperture for the lyman? Have checked Brownells, but not seeing the correct one.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Lyman

Not sure with the Lyman sight but is the knurled knob in front of the deer logo on the right side of the sight for elevation or is it the missing aperture screwed into the sight to avoid loss? This was done on some sights.The side screw locks the elevation.Does it unscrew or move the elevation?If not Western Gun Parts in Edmonton should have the aperture you need.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Not sure with the Lyman sight but is the knurled knob in front of the deer logo on the right side of the sight for elevation or is it the missing aperture screwed into the sight to avoid loss? This was done on some sights.The side screw locks the elevation.Does it unscrew or move the elevation?If not Western Gun Parts in Edmonton should have the aperture you need.
The knurled screw in front of the logo is the lock screw. The one above the logo is for elevation.