Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM

Default Gun on atv

Good morning all.

After an hour of looking for info in this, looks about clear as mud (or my search skills suck). Just bought a quad after not having one for a while and headed to bear, cougar backcountry next weekend to do some camping and riding. Could someone point me to the regs on this please.
As far as I can see, as long as it's unloaded, should be fine, but want to make sure. We will be on crown land.

TIA, fishin
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Per the following link under the heading "Hunting with Motorized Vehicles"

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

It is unlawful to carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.

If this were big game season right now, you'd have to get up really early to travel with a firearm or wait to do so after noon-hour. It isn't currently big game season, so this may not currently apply but I cannot say for certain.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:25 AM

Too bad there's so many people that don't follow that rule around where I hunt guys always driving on quads with guns before noon

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 AM

I see the regs for when season open, more looking at off season
Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM

When ever I have a question I can’t seem to decipher i always call the fish and wildlife office in high river. They’re great at answering and if they don’t know right away they always call me back within like an hour tops. Always good to get it straight from the horses mouth. I don’t know what area your looking for but maybe call the local office?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Too bad there's so many people that don't follow that rule around where I hunt guys always driving on quads with guns before noon

The regs are like the Occupational health and safety book. Loosely interpreted until caught. Besides. If no one sees you, or calls you out on something,did it really even happen?
It is not what people see you do that builds your character, it is what you do when no one is watching that does that.

Tullfan,
P.s I was joking about the regs not being useful. They are useful when interpreted correctly.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 AM

You can carry your unloaded firearm on your quad all you want, as long as its unloaded. If it's a big game season but you aren't hunting you can still carry a firearm on your quad provided it's unloaded. If you are hunting, there are some zones that have the not before noon rule. If you aren't hunting but have a firearm on your quad in a not before noon rule and get caught by F&W it might be on you to prove that you aren't hunting, but still legal to carry the firearm.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:37 AM

“It’s very important to know all the rules, so they can be broken correctly.”
- Dalai Lama
Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
You can carry your unloaded firearm on your quad all you want, as long as its unloaded. If it's a big game season but you aren't hunting you can still carry a firearm on your quad provided it's unloaded. If you are hunting, there are some zones that have the not before noon rule. If you aren't hunting but have a firearm on your quad in a not before noon rule and get caught by F&W it might be on you to prove that you aren't hunting, but still legal to carry the firearm.
Where does it state that the section below does not apply, unless you are hunting?

Quote:
It is unlawful to carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season
Old 08-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Where does it state that the section below does not apply, unless you are hunting?
Yes that's written in the hunting regs. Do NON hunters have to read the hunting regs before they go quadding in the backcountry?
Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 PM

If you are wanting to carry a firearm on your quad for bear and cougar repellent remember that the CO will consider it loaded if you have any rounds in an attached magazine even if you don't have a round in the chamber.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
If you are wanting to carry a firearm on your quad for bear and cougar repellent remember that the CO will consider it loaded if you have any rounds in an attached magazine even if you don't have a round in the chamber.
Was just planning on a pump shotgun--rounds would be on the outside of the stock
Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes that's written in the hunting regs. Do NON hunters have to read the hunting regs before they go quadding in the backcountry?
The Wildlife Act applies whether you are hunting or not. You can be charged for trespassing on occupied land, or discharging a firearm outside of legal hours, or having a loaded firearm on or in a motor vehicle, even if you aren't hunting. It's up to you to comply with the Wildlife Act even if you don't hunt.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Was just planning on a pump shotgun--rounds would be on the outside of the stock
CO should be OK with that.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The Wildlife Act applies whether you are hunting or not. You can be charged for trespassing on occupied land, or discharging a firearm outside of legal hours, or having a loaded firearm on or in a motor vehicle, even if you aren't hunting. It's up to you to comply with the Wildlife Act even if you don't hunt.
Yes I agree that all have to comply with the wildlife act. However, that rule, in the wildlife act is written under "hunting related activities".

I doubt that a non hunter who is quadding around with a shotgun on his quad just in case would be charged.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree that all have to comply with the wildlife act. However, that rule, in the wildlife act is written under "hunting related activities".

I doubt that a non hunter who is quadding around with a shotgun on his quad just in case would be charged.
There is no exemption listed for non hunters, so it is applicable to non hunters.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-16-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Alright, have a buddy who is a CO.

He said as long as it is unloaded, all is good. If CO is being a hardas*, can get you for not having a trigger lock on it if you walk away from machine where gun is stored, but I would think that is over and above.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:46 PM

I'm sure you could get away with a gun boot with a cap on and a pin in there

Old 08-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The heading of the section says "Hunting with Motorized Vehicles" so its there. It may be difficult to convince a CO that you aren't hunting - it is ambiguous.

Further, the OP said he was going next weekend, which, for most WMU's, is not during an "open season for big game", so there's that. Again, a grey area.

They don't get big by being dumb.