Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Hoisting Deer onto ATV

I’m bow hunting soon and if I put something down I’ll be alone in the mtns. Anyone have an easy way to get a hopefully big deer on my quad without hurting myself? I’m 45 and am in good shape but I don’t want to ruin myself either.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 PM

A small 8 to 1 block and tackle could be your best friend. If a tree is not available you may have to get three tree poles and make a tripod to lift the deer. Or field dress and quarter or de bone on site.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 PM

If I'm in that situation I usually just drag it with the quad to the nearest tree and throw a rope over a large branch near the trunk. Pull the animal up with a rope or the quad winch and tie it off. Then drive underneath it. Cut/loosen the rope. Tie or strap it down. Off I go.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM

Any kind of a sharp slope or small gully can be your friend as well. Drag animal to the top. Back your machine up close. Roll the animal down. Lots of options..
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 PM

I've put a large deer on the front of my quad with just a couple of ratchet straps by myself. I attach one end to front of quad and strap the other end to the deer and then "inch it up" a little at a time. Once the racket won't go anymore I muscled it on the front, one end at a time, strap him down and hit the gas.

Quartering it and boning out the meat is probably an easier way in retrospect.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:54 PM

Hook a rack...built one myself for about 75$ simple and easy. A block and tackle is simple and effective as well. I also welded up a rack that plugs into my receiver hitch that is great for strapping an Elk head/ front shoulder to to keep the antlers from snagging on everything as you drag it out. A full deer fits on it if you tie it's legs up to the rack.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:10 PM

Gutless method, quarter it. Tie the game bags on.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:34 PM

All good answers
Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Shear legs work well too
Old 08-14-2019, 01:04 AM

I wish I could find the video of an old dude lifting a deer with a big lever. Light log strapped vertically to a tree . Deer tied to bottom of the light log and pull on the top and flipped light log 180 degrees. Worked slick.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
This...why hump out stuff you won't eat...but if it is what you do then always have rope and a comalong get the terrain even or as close as possible to the back rack and let gravity and the comalong due the work.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 AM

I always am alone on 97% of my hunts. I gut it ,tie a rope to his antlers or neck of a doe. Position the deer head first facing the foot steps and toward the rear of the quad. Get yourself situated standing on the back of the quad rack facing the ft. and start pulling.The deer should start to slide right up over the foot-well and across the fender-well of the back tire. once the head is on the back rack pull like hell leaning back as a surfer does and it should be 3/4 up on the rack.
then jump off and kick the hind corner up and over. it may sound a bit odd to some but it works for as many as i can count. its too hard to find a tree or ridge to roll him on in my areas.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
x2, why lifting 1 heavy load when you can lift 4 light loads
Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
x2, why lifting 1 heavy load when you can lift 4 light loads
It’s heavily grizzed out there too. I just want to load and gtfo.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
I always am alone on 97% of my hunts. I gut it ,tie a rope to his antlers or neck of a doe. Position the deer head first facing the foot steps and toward the rear of the quad. Get yourself situated standing on the back of the quad rack facing the ft. and start pulling.The deer should start to slide right up over the foot-well and across the fender-well of the back tire. once the head is on the back rack pull like hell leaning back as a surfer does and it should be 3/4 up on the rack.
then jump off and kick the hind corner up and over. it may sound a bit odd to some but it works for as many as i can count. its too hard to find a tree or ridge to roll him on in my areas.
Sort of like this? https://youtu.be/u-uZnm0db9k
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Any kind of a sharp slope or small gully can be your friend as well. Drag animal to the top. Back your machine up close. Roll the animal down. Lots of options..
This is the best way if its possible.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
I hunt between Grande Prairie and Grande Caches, the highest grizzly density in the province. After a bit of practice, the process is quick. On this load I have a mule deer, my chain saw, my 22, my pack frame and a couple grouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181124_153510.jpg (126.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I wish I could find the video of an old dude lifting a deer with a big lever. Light log strapped vertically to a tree . Deer tied to bottom of the light log and pull on the top and flipped light log 180 degrees. Worked slick.
I remember seeing that video, it did work pretty well
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Sort of like this? https://youtu.be/u-uZnm0db9k
That's pretty slick - I've never seen that before. That buck in the video isn't very big. I'm not sure it would be effective on a 280lb deer (at least for me) but cool none the less.
I always quarter before loading. It takes me an hour to quarter, trim all neck meat and grab the heart in an hour. Lots of good ideas - great thread.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 AM

I've used 2 pulleys, chainsaw and the winch on the quad to load a elk by myself. Set-up the animal head first facing the back quad rack with the body 90 degrees to the quad ( picture a "L" ) Tie one of the pulleys to a tree 90 degrees from the front of the winch and then the other high in a tree and in-line with the back rack and animal ( picture a square with the quad being one side of the square and the cable the other 3 sides ). Cut a few small trees and de-limb ( don't skip this step ). Make a ramp for the animal to slide up and onto the rack of the quad. Secure the 'ramp' to the quad, run the winch cable through the pulleys, secure to the animal and start to winch. I have a extension for my winch which makes it easy to help shimmy the animal up the ramp. This takes a bit of time but it works slick and doesn't make me lift anything.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Not sure the Grizz would hear the bow go off to attract them, however if you had to wait anytime at all (overnight) you may have these kinds of visitors.

Winch on the front of the quad, over a tree limb (if available). Winch deer up, drive quad underneath, disconnect and GTFO of there? Did this one time.

But whatever floats your boat - lots of great suggestions here so far.

J.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Sanjuan, you are missing the obvious. you need a slightly older, heavier and less fit hunting partner... problem solved
Old 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Banned

I didn’t realize 45 was the new 80
Old 08-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Lol. Was thinking the same thing. I guess I'm pushing 100. Lifted a 225 pound deer into the back of a pretty high half ton box last year. Strap around antlers, standing in box lifted head and neck into box. Take 2 steps backwards. Voila.

Mind you I'm an incredibly robust 97.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
x2. All the added weight of skin, fat, and bones that could have been left behind where mother nature recycles it.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
x2. All the added weight of skin, fat, and bones that could have been left behind where mother nature recycles it.
Personally I don't fully debone in the field, but having the legs and some loose meat (loin and neck meat) in separate bags, makes my life so much easier. Once back at the truck, put the bags in totes, and this way I keep the truck clean.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Haha yes what I was thinking
Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM

The video method works like a darn. Loaded many a heavy buck up like that. Hold the horns up and once their just onto the rack jump back off the backend while pulling him up and on. Don't go to hard or it'll slide off the back. I'm close to sixty and did some like that not too long ago.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the one you were thinking of.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2016...le-deer-hoist/

Happy hunting

V
Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the one you were thinking of.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2016...le-deer-hoist/

Happy hunting

V
Thank you! That was it.