Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Lost Mayan Village.........Found

A couple friends and I were looking over a Sat Image of an area close by some of our known cave entrances and noticed what could be another cave, maybe something that could connect to one of our known routes. It was worth a look, as it wasn't too far from the highway, maybe about 2km of bushwhacking. We grabbed some machetes and headed out. So ya, we found a Cave, it was nothing special, didn't really go very far. We crawled around in it for a while, none too impressed for the amount of work it took to get there. We did find a beautiful skylight opening in the cave roof though and decided to try to get to that point above ground. We climbed up above the cave entrance, started making our way to the north, and immediately found this little village. Its a cool little place, and so close to the highway that I immediately wanted to try to bring my family back there. We tuned up our trail quite a bit on the way back out. A few days later I brought the family in for a look, and since then have brought 5 groups of friends/family out for a look. Every trip we work on the trail a bit to make it easier.

Pyramid

Top of pyramid, its almost like s protective wall, there is even a stone seat built up there, and if sitting in it you would have a good view towards the east (Coast)

Cave entrance/water source for village

Cave skylight

Corn grinding rock

Termite tracks on tree

RD
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to put all of the adventures up.

I really like the Mayan history and ruins. We have toured a number of sites and what the jungle has done taking over the rock roads that they built to connect villages plus the villages / cites themselves is pretty amazing.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Another in a series of great posts. One day you should write a book of short stories chronicling your adventures!

BW
Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 PM

They claim, in Yucatan, under every hill, there is a Mayan town.

Grizz
Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 AM

Very cool scenery and adventures
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing.

Dodger.