Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 12:06 PM

Default Cold lake open water season 2024.

I read a post some where that Sask Regs are out and the keeper size is 65-70cm.. for lakers at Cold lake If the Alberta regs are not out on opening day at cold lake AlbertaRelm should be emailing all Alberta licence holders that they can do the same. Don't you agree ?
Old 04-16-2024, 12:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I read a post some where that Sask Regs are out and the keeper size is 65-70cm.. for lakers at Cold lake If the Alberta regs are not out on opening day at cold lake AlbertaRelm should be emailing all Alberta licence holders that they can do the same. Don't you agree ?

I believe that until the new regs are out we are to follow the old regs until so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM

I agree thats what we have to do .
Old 04-16-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I believe that until the new regs are out we are to follow the old regs until so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it does say the regs are the same as sask for cold lake . i would go with the latest regs , which in this case is the task regs. if its good for sask its good for Alberta on cold lake
Old 04-16-2024, 06:43 PM

I would follow the Sask regs. Why would you not?
Old 04-16-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I would follow the Sask regs. Why would you not?
If you bought a Saskatchewan license, sure, the new slot applies.

If, however, you are purchasing an Alberta license, you must follow Alberta laws. Those currently state 1 over 75cm.
Stupid, yes, but not very confusing.

From what I'm hearing, the regulations won't be out until mid to late May. Hope they come out before that, but I wouldn't expect it.
Apparently the bios are not happy with what the province is telling them Albertans want to see.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:15 PM

as like in the old days Sask rules on the Sask side Alberta rules on the Alberta side
Old 04-16-2024, 08:47 PM

I don’t agree just follow the regs from last year like others have stated. I’m sure before the open water season starts the regs will be adjusted and out for alberta anglers to follow.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:26 PM

This is directly from the Saskatchewan fishing regs for 2024-2025 so I see no reason why albertans couldn’t keep a lake trout in the new slot.

Walleye limit 3, none may be less than 50 cm; pike limit 1, which must be over 63 cm; lake trout limit 1, which must be between 65 – 70 cm; lake trout limit 0 from September 15 to November 15; whitefish limit 10; perch limit 15; use or possession of any gaff prohibited; Saskatchewan or Alberta angling licences are valid
Old 04-16-2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I don’t agree just follow the regs from last year like others have stated. I’m sure before the open water season starts the regs will be adjusted and out for alberta anglers to follow.
You don’t have to agree. I lived in Cold Lake over 30 years and am quite aware of how the regs are inforced on each side of the lake.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
You don’t have to agree. I lived in Cold Lake over 30 years and am quite aware of how the regs are inforced on each side of the lake.
So after 30yrs are you gonna start poaching??
That’s what you’re saying anyways. Loser.

Regs aren’t just a book and there is info online instead of being a clown and looking for an argument. Maybe do some research.
Your entitlement is mind boggling and likely a big part of the reason our fisheries are in the dumps is attitudes like yours. FML 🤦*♂️

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/reg...s/default.aspx

You want to keep a laker under 75cm from Cold before the Alberta regulations only 1 way to legally do it…for now.
buy a Sask licence

Last edited by Mumbles; 04-17-2024 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
There is no boarders for cold lake . You can use either license threw out the whole lake .But must follow the rules from the licence you bought it from either Alberta or Sask. Wellcome back to the living Splake0 its been awhile since i seen you on hear . The above is not for you as i know you now this ,its for the first time fishermen .

Last edited by -JR-; 04-17-2024 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:09 AM

Well since it is an agreement between both sides that AB regs govern Cold Lakes' fishery then it stands to reason if SK has the new regs printed ON TIME with the agreed slot size then that will be the regs to follow on both sides. I for one would not have an issue with following the SK regs just because AB could not get their s*&t together and get regs printed in time for the new license season. After all they are the ones that wanted the change and brought the changes to the table to discuss with SK who from my understanding in talking with a SK CO I know very well told us at a lengthy coffee discussion one morning when it comes to dealing with AB on bordering waters they just let AB have at it and really don't do anything for consulting but agree to let them do as they wish...either license is valid on the lake so I have no issue buying the AB license for 2024 and following the SK regs for Cold Lake. I have always bought SK license as I live on the border and fish SK waters but with moving next month a few hours west of the border I'll be fishing AB most so will need to start purchasing an AB license to fish AB waters however for Cold Lake either license is valid and there is no separate SK or AB side to license and/or fish regs agreements. Some folks really need to do their research better before commenting and posting incorrect information.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 04-17-2024 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
as like in the old days Sask rules on the Sask side Alberta rules on the Alberta side
110% incorrect...
Old 04-17-2024, 08:12 AM

Only one little problem . We are in the new days not old days .
Old 04-17-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Only one little problem . We are in the new days not old days .
Old 04-17-2024, 02:22 PM

You losers are big boys do what you want but bring your wallet as you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Live and Learn.

JR you know when the provincial regulations don’t align. In Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan rules. When in Alberta you follow Alberta rules
Old 04-17-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
There is no boarders for cold lake . You can use either license threw out the whole lake .But must follow the rules from the licence you bought it from either Alberta or Sask. Wellcome back to the living Splake0 its been awhile since i seen you on hear . The above is not for you as i know you now this ,its for the first time fishermen .
Totally incorrect. Would think all the years you been fishing here you would know.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Quote:
Sportfishing in Cold Lake
Sportfishing in Cold Lake requires either an Alberta Sportfishing
Licence (see licence exemptions under “Requirements”), or a
Saskatchewan Angling Licence. The Alberta Fishery Regulations,
1998 apply to the Alberta portion of Cold Lake; while the
Saskatchewan Regulations apply to the Saskatchewan portion of
Cold Lake (Saskatchewan regulations are consistent with Alberta
regulations for Cold Lake).

You can fish cold lake with either license but as indicated above Sask regs are consistent with AB regs.

Betting the AB regs wil be out prior to May 15/24.

Just a question as you brought up the old days, when did this change to keeping consistency between provinces?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
So after 30yrs are you gonna start poaching??
That’s what you’re saying anyways. Loser.

Regs aren’t just a book and there is info online instead of being a clown and looking for an argument. Maybe do some research.
Your entitlement is mind boggling and likely a big part of the reason our fisheries are in the dumps is attitudes like yours. FML 🤦*♂️

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/reg...s/default.aspx

You want to keep a laker under 75cm from Cold before the Alberta regulations only 1 way to legally do it…for now.
buy a Sask licence
That very grown up of you. Is that how you solve your disagreements by calling people names. I think you need a diaper change
Old 04-17-2024, 06:26 PM

OMG...lol...this is why forums are so great!! A bunch of people who share a common passion, who have varying opinions openly sharing there intellectual prowess on a point of disagreement. "That Stop Sign just means slow down enough to see what's comming!!!" "No Billy-Bob!! It means a full, not moving, the wheels are no longer rotating, STOP!" "Damn it Jimmy!! Back in 1952 we just slowed down and that's good enough!!!" LMFAO...carry on gents!