Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Default Fletchings - what is everyone using ?

I’ve typically shoot Blazer’s cause they are easy to find. Picked up some Fusions and tried them. Not sure if I can see the difference, yet. Little rusty.

I use an Arizona ez fletch to fletch them, so they are helical.

Anyone finding any differences between fletchings? If so what’s working best for you guys? Are you getting better groups at longer differences or are some quieter then others?

Curious if it’s a performance thing or just personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 PM

Default Yeah

I am running AAE Hunter Max right now and have really liked them but I am thinking of trying Bohning X Vanes just because I like to tinker. Also I am a sucker for shield cut!!! I liked the way blazers shot but didn't like the way they look. Look good....shoot good right haha

Morb
Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 PM

I've had really good luck with the Quik Spins, seem to stabilize the arrow better than the Blazers?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-26-2018, 08:39 AM

I've tried them all. FOBs, Blazers, shield cuts, etc.

Liked FOBs. They really fly good and can take a pounding before they completely break and are no good. Fellas at 3D tourneys didn't like them cause they didn't leave much space to shoot at? I told them to Robin Hood the arrow. But cost was a concern. Great at calming down broadhead flight.

Tried Norway Zeon Fusion fletches, they were good. You could really pick up the arrow in flight / on target, but they were a little hard to fletch in the Arizona EZ fletch (would get caught in the fletcher arms). Stabilized BH the same as traditional fletch.

Currently shooting Blazers and happy with them.

J.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:02 PM

I've done some testing on vanes/feathers using my labradar to track velocity over 60 yards then charting the corresponding drag curve of each configuration. Definitely not a scientific study, but I did try to minimize variables as much as possible (same batch of arrows, same fletching settings, same arrow components, etc).

Interestingly, the Q2i Fusion 1.75" has an almost identical drag curve out to 60 yards as a Blazer vane (likely due to the stiffness of the Fusion vs the Blazer). However, since the profile of the Fusion is much smaller than the Blazer, it had significantly less wind drift.

I've tested: Trueflight 2" HP feathers, AAE Pro Max, X-Vane 1.75, X-Vane 2.25, Fusion x2 1.75, and Blazers.
Here's a link to the results for my initial testing if anyone is interested:
https://i.imgur.com/2JTXC74.jpg
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
I've done some testing on vanes/feathers using my labradar to track velocity over 60 yards then charting the corresponding drag curve of each configuration. Definitely not a scientific study, but I did try to minimize variables as much as possible (same batch of arrows, same fletching settings, same arrow components, etc).

Interestingly, the Q2i Fusion 1.75" has an almost identical drag curve out to 60 yards as a Blazer vane (likely due to the stiffness of the Fusion vs the Blazer). However, since the profile of the Fusion is much smaller than the Blazer, it had significantly less wind drift.

I've tested: Trueflight 2" HP feathers, AAE Pro Max, X-Vane 1.75, X-Vane 2.25, Fusion x2 1.75, and Blazers.
Here's a link to the results for my initial testing if anyone is interested:
https://i.imgur.com/2JTXC74.jpg
Would love to see those comparisons with flex fletch flash 2.0! And other flex fletch vanes.

To the OP, flex fletch is where the buck stops in fletching imo. Cosmic green is thee color as well. I've had samples of all the colors taped to cardboard and put on my fence in the yard to observe for days in all light conditions. The flo red (which is basically flo hot pink) and the cosmic green popped the best most of the time but the cosmic green was the winner, it's hard to capture the cosmic green in pictures but it's awesome. Their vanes such as flash, sk200/300, ffp360, i think there's a ffp300 that would work also, are the ones to check out.

i fletch the flash with the arizona mini fletcher helical also but now i see the arizona fletchers offer one that can do 3" vanes so i'd consider the sk300 or ffp300 also for fixed? and use the new arizona fletcher for 3" vanes

they are ultra thin, ultra stiff vanes that are so tough compared to anything else i've used. i used blazers for a long time and these are easily half as thick and twice as stiff

gold tip tip grip glue, prime the vanes, clean shafts, good to go in about 5-6 min in the fletcher and then ready for next arrow
Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM

Bohning X Vane, 2.25” shield cut. They are quiet and stabilize well. Going to try them hunting this year, blazers are decent but really noisy!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-28-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 AM

Default Fletchings - what is everyone using ?

3 inch, shield cut, unprocessed feathers from wild turkeys. Nothing else comes close. They’re lighter, provide more control over the broadhead, last forever, laugh at blood and rain and look awesome.
If you’ve used factory feathers before and think they’re similar your mistaken. The factory cut, processed feathers are junk.

We’ve all seen something like this before?

Four days later I rinsed it out. Didn’t even have to touch it and it popped back out proud.

Usually after a kill I swish it in a puddle and it doesn’t stain. I had to soak it for a while to get the rest of the blood out.

That bloody feather is in this quiver. These were fletched about five years ago and have done all of my target practice and all of my kills. I haven’t refletched any of them. I do have about five more that are also used for target practice but these have all been shot through animals and into targets thousands of times.

These were in the rain for a few hours last month. One went through the bear, none of them show any issues from being wet. (Sorry about the pic, I’m cropping to show the fletching).

Couple minutes after it went through the bear.

This one was six years old, on my previous batch and was shot through a whisker biscuit for five years.

Feather fletching, it’s why we’ve got turkeys. Plastic is a poor imitation and processing feathers is an injustice.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 06-04-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Well it really depends on what head your shooting. For a fixed blade broadhead you'll want a higher profile vane, I like AAE Max Hunter.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:29 PM

Default fletching

I use blazers.

But more and more i would like to try feathers. Thinking this upcoming year i will give it a try!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:12 PM

I’m running AA Max Hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quickspins
Old 11-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Shoot blazers with 3 degree helical. That group is 123 yards

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Big fan of fusions. Easy to work with, no issues stabilizing large fixed blades and very durable.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Whats better for noise, stability etc: Bohning X vanes or the AAE Max Stealth?