Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 04:37 PM

Default Barry Michell's alberta fishing guide?

Used to buy this every year about15 years ago, but stopped because it's pretty much the same every year. Thinking about buying again. Any current readers on here. Thoughts?

Thx
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 PM

Default yes

I read it for the articles, and maybe I might find some new information about my fav lakes that I was not aware of.

in the 2003 issue of the AFG, Barry explains:

"One of the most often asked questions is, "Where do you get your information?" The answer's simple. We work damn hard at it. In the 23 years since Ann and I bought Dad's share of the business and went our own way with the magazine, we've not only acquired more than 1000 maps for research, but we've made friends with the provincial fisheries biologists and call them each year to pick their brains about conditions of specific waters in their area.

It doesn't end there. Friends, fishing partners and readers feed us new info and give us leads all the time. Then there's the 60,000 km I put on my truck every year as I do my own research or confirm something a reader has pointed out."
Old 03-20-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Used to buy this every year about15 years ago, but stopped because it's pretty much the same every year. Thinking about buying again. Any current readers on here. Thoughts?

Thx
You going to spend some of that old money
Old 03-23-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Thx
The lake/pond/river information is virtually the same every year; I buy it for the articles.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
The lake/pond/river information is virtually the same every year; I buy it for the articles.
Does it still suggest there are big brown trout in Sawn Lake?
Old 03-23-2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I read it for the articles, and maybe I might find some new information about my fav lakes that I was not aware of.

in the 2003 issue of the AFG, Barry explains:

"One of the most often asked questions is, "Where do you get your information?" The answer's simple. We work damn hard at it. In the 23 years since Ann and I bought Dad's share of the business and went our own way with the magazine, we've not only acquired more than 1000 maps for research, but we've made friends with the provincial fisheries biologists and call them each year to pick their brains about conditions of specific waters in their area.

It doesn't end there. Friends, fishing partners and readers feed us new info and give us leads all the time. Then there's the 60,000 km I put on my truck every year as I do my own research or confirm something a reader has pointed out."
Barry passed away 9 years ago...the publication has changed hands several times since then....
Old 03-24-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thx
I have purchased this magazine for over 20 years now and must admit there seems to be little additional information added. But yes it does change on a few lakes. I mostly buy it for the articles. There are always some excellent learning opportunities written by experts in their field with local knowledge in mind.
I’m not reading about how to find or catch bass in an Ontario Lake. Will keep buying It suspect.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:23 PM

I do agree ,if the magazine comes out every year , then every lake should be updated at least every 5 years on what the biggest fish was with in 5 years . Most of the info they are giving you is from 20-40 years ago ,where they are saying pike are up to 20 or 30 lbs.
If they can't do that , then they should be taking that out and just say there are pike in that water body .
Old 03-24-2024, 05:25 PM

Ah c'mon, what's wrong with a little nostalgia such as saying there may still be 2o lb rainbows in Crawling Valley? I buy the magazine every year, read the articles and laugh a bit at some of the lake descriptions.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:48 PM

The Jensens are too lazy and pretentious to update it to anything more than their little precious brown trout streams LOL
Old 03-24-2024, 06:14 PM

Yep ... buy it yearly, the waterbody info rarely changes ... like the articles ... I thought Alberta Outdoorsmen was publishing it now ... published by Rob Miskoski ...
Old 03-24-2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The Jensens are too lazy and pretentious to update it to anything more than their little precious brown trout streams LOL
The Jensens haven't owned it since 2018....
Old 03-25-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
The Jensens haven't owned it since 2018....
I stand corrected! Whoever currently owns it needs to get out and do more research, whether that’s talking to locals or get out fishing
Old 03-27-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I stand corrected! Whoever currently owns it needs to get out and do more research, whether that’s talking to locals or get out fishing
Indeed, you stand corrected. Dave did more updating in the few seasons he owned than Barry did the previous 5-7, or the current publisher does now...doesn't AO (or the same publisher as AO) own it now?

Smitty.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Indeed, you stand corrected. Dave did more updating in the few seasons he owned than Barry did the previous 5-7, or the current publisher does now...doesn't AO (or the same publisher as AO) own it now?

Smitty.
Nothing wrong with being corrected, dude! World might be a better place if people don’t care about burying an internet ego.
Having said that, seriously the stagnation is pretty sad. That’s why I find FWMIT to be the most helpful tool. Jensen did initially update the mag significantly from Barry, but he obfuscated watercourses that he deemed too secret. I get it, he was the publisher and can do what he wants, but lots of data was held back- even if it were merely presence/absence of fish species.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:49 PM

Haven't bought it for a while now, seems like the "info" never changes. As for the articles, meh, I used to buy Playboy for the articles but...
Old 03-28-2024, 06:21 PM

Admin says it is updated……for what it’s worth
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=378819
WDF