Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Default 32. / 45. Hawkins kits?

Where would a person find a decent build it yourself Hawkins percussion cap kit in 32 or 45 caliber? Cabelas and Bass Pro only have 50. and up. Not looking to buy one right now, just interested, and if I do, around $300-400, preferably in the $300 range. Any input?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jimmer View Post
Where would a person find a decent build it yourself Hawkins percussion cap kit in 32 or 45 caliber? Cabelas and Bass Pro only have 50. and up. Not looking to buy one right now, just interested, and if I do, around $300-400, preferably in the $300 range. Any input?
After shooting these rifles for longer than some have been on this planet, I always ask the same question - are you going to hunt big game with this rifle after?
If not, small caliber is fine, if the answer is "yes" however, .50 is a minimum, and .54 or 58 even better , unless you are going to shoot a bullet instead of a round ball, then 45 or .50 would be okay, but half th4e fun is gone then!
I shoot round ball plains rifles, and I also have a Penn/kentucky that is in .45.

Thomson Center is the best of the kits that I have seen, and they make a decent rifle......
Cat
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM

Cat

I know the bigger one can be had as inline, hammer percussion and flintlock and I have even seen left handed percussions. What is sthe smallest caliber muzzle stuffer commonly available, and would it have the left hand percussion or inline option if you know. I am thinking a small caliber one would be a hoot for gophers.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cat

I know the bigger one can be had as inline, hammer percussion and flintlock and I have even seen left handed percussions. What is sthe smallest caliber muzzle stuffer commonly available, and would it have the left hand percussion or inline option if you know. I am thinking a small caliber one would be a hoot for gophers.
I do not deal with the modern style of inline muzzle loaders, but the smallest traditional muzzle loaders i have seen are .32 calibre.
thw .32 is right around the size of 00 buck, and a few buckskinners I used to shoot with used it in there original rifles with a heavy patch.

The smaller calibers can be a bit finicky on powder charges, simply because you are ussing less powder, and the .45 is a lot easier to aquire, load for and shoot.
And yes, gophers are a lot of fun with them!
Cat
Old 02-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I do not deal with the modern style of inline muzzle loaders, but the smallest traditional muzzle loaders i have seen are .32 calibre.
thw .32 is right around the size of 00 buck, and a few buckskinners I used to shoot with used it in there original rifles with a heavy patch.

The smaller calibers can be a bit finicky on powder charges, simply because you are ussing less powder, and the .45 is a lot easier to aquire, load for and shoot.
And yes, gophers are a lot of fun with them!
Cat
I think that was the reason they called them Squirrel rifles.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Thompson Centre only has 50. and up. I mostly want it for plinking if I get one. Dont want something so big it will hit a rabbit and only leave the tail and ears . So what are the pros and cons of a traditional ball VS. a modern bullet? Any other places that might have a 45. kit? I have also been told that 32.'s require alot more cleaning.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Btt
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Thompson Centre only has 50. and up. I mostly want it for plinking if I get one. Dont want something so big it will hit a rabbit and only leave the tail and ears . So what are the pros and cons of a traditional ball VS. a modern bullet? Any other places that might have a 45. kit? I have also been told that 32.'s require alot more cleaning.
You would be surprised at how accurate a .50 round ball can be!
Chicken hunting and rabbits use a smaller powder charge.
"Kentucky measure" is grain weight per caliber, this a .50 call rifle only takes 50 grains of FFFG powder, and in a Thompson will take the head off a grouse or hit a rabbit in the head at 25 yards no sweat.
For my big game huntign however, the /50 is usually loaded with about 100 grains of powder, and my 58 takes 130 of FFG.

BTW, you can get a small bore drop in barrel for the Thompson rifles from Green Mountain, these are high quality rigs.
Get on in a smaller caliber and have fun!
Cat
Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks Cat, any particular ball? The hornady plastic sabot balls or just cottin patch and ball? If you hit low on a rabbit or grouse with the 50, is there anything left? Is cheaper lead harder, therefore blowing a critter apart less, and better lead softer, making better critter soup? Teach me! I've asked you (Cat) more questions in the last year than I have put posts on this forum!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 PM

You dont often see kits up here.... try gunshows or there is a Lady in Sask that handles a lot of black powder stuff - she might have one or at least point you in the right direction. Here name is Becky, but for the life of me I cant remember her last name or business name. (lots of help eh?) Somebody on here should know who I am talking about.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
You dont often see kits up here.... try gunshows or there is a Lady in Sask that handles a lot of black powder stuff - she might have one or at least point you in the right direction. Here name is Becky, but for the life of me I cant remember her last name or business name. (lots of help eh?) Somebody on here should know who I am talking about.
Doug and Becky Middleton, Senlac Sask.
(306) 228 2949
Becky carries lots of supplies. kits, and finished rifles.
Cat
Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Doug and Becky Middleton, Senlac Sask.
(306) 228 2949
Becky carries lots of supplies. kits, and finished rifles.
Cat
Thats it, thanks Cat.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cat, any particular ball? The hornady plastic sabot balls or just cottin patch and ball? If you hit low on a rabbit or grouse with the 50, is there anything left? Is cheaper lead harder, therefore blowing a critter apart less, and better lead softer, making better critter soup? Teach me! I've asked you (Cat) more questions in the last year than I have put posts on this forum!
The only ammo I use in my muzzle loaders is patched round balls, the lead needs to be pure lead - you should be able to scratch it with your finger nail.
This lets the patch engrave itself into the ball.
The cotton patch should be double weave for best resulots.
The oatch-ball combination needs to be consistent, and kust slightly larrger than the bore diameter.
For example, a .58 calibre rifle would take a .570 round ball and a .015 patch .
This gives a bit of "crush " to let the patch engrave itself in the ball, and transfer the torque produced from the rifling into the ball.
THIS IS ONLY A GUIDELINE!!
Every rifle is different, and working up a powder/patch load is the same as working up loads for smokeless cartridge rifles.....
Cat
Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 AM

I seeee, more complex than I thought! Well, I will keep an eye peeled at the gun auction this week, and will check Whole sale sports, then that lady in Sask. Kit for this kind of shooting is basically powder, patches, balls, ball starter, capper, powder measure, and the gun of course right? I cant wait for a new job where I get more shifts! I've got my fingers in too many weapon categories for my wallet to keep up with! P.s. a friend from texas was talking about how he grew up in oregon, they had squirrel shooting competitions, like official, whole county involved, basically whoever shoots the most weight in squirrels wins. Has there ever been something like that round here? Or am I just born a generation too late?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Btt