Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Roads north of white court will be horrid this weekend. Even decent gravel roads will be slick muddy and pounded out after all this rain.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I built a chain rig that uses the tire rim to attach the jack to. Works great
That's the bomb. There's also a commercial version (this is what I have):

https://hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate/

The nice thing is that these solutions lift the wheel, not the vehicle, so you can build up material under the wheels - especially handy when you are high-centered.

Also very handy if you have a lift - otherwise, if you're jacking on the frame, you may have to lift quite a ways before your wheels leave the ground.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Roads north of white court will be horrid this weekend. Even decent gravel roads will be slick muddy and pounded out after all this rain.
Yup. Even when the roads look just a bit wet, you can find your vehicle going in directions you don't want it to go... Even when you're barely moving... Like ice, but mud...
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

The nice thing is that these solutions lift the wheel, not the vehicle, so you can build up material under the wheels - especially handy when you are high-centered.

Also very handy if you have a lift - otherwise, if you're jacking on the frame, you may have to lift quite a ways before your wheels leave the ground.
Now that is a really cool solution, and it keeps the Jackall from falling forward as the weight increases.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Now that is a really cool solution, and it keeps the Jackall from falling forward as the weight increases.
That's almost exactly like what I built. But mine is chain instead of strapping. It's the bomb for sure. Gets each tire up off the ground to either pack stuff under or put track grabbers or chains on. Simple and quick. I had no idea they made them commercially. I made mine on the side of a big mud hole( my truck was in the mud hole lol) using a length of chain and a couple of heavy duty hooks I had in the truck box. They worked good enough for the time but when I got home I improved on the idea a bit. Lol
Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

I like how it has the plate that rides against the tire. I keep a 12"2x6 in the box for that job. Those things look slick
Old 05-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That's almost exactly like what I built. But mine is chain instead of strapping. It's the bomb for sure. Gets each tire up off the ground to either pack stuff under or put track grabbers or chains on. Simple and quick. I had no idea they made them commercially. I made mine on the side of a big mud hole( my truck was in the mud hole lol) using a length of chain and a couple of heavy duty hooks I had in the truck box. They worked good enough for the time but when I got home I improved on the idea a bit. Lol
Any rim damage using it? Although I shouldnt care as my rims have some rust already
Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Any rim damage using it? Although I shouldnt care as my rims have some rust already
None at all. I've used it on 2500 HD gmc std factory steel rims and a tundra w factory steel rims. I'm not sure how it would do with fancy aluminium rims but you could do a test run in the driveway and stop if anything started scratching or bending
Old 06-03-2020, 02:13 PM

Default filled my tag

_MG_7511.jpg

_MG_7524.jpg

_MG_7513.jpg

Got a heck of a first Black bear this year. never expected an oppurtunity to present itself like this one. 6ft3in and memories to last a lifetime.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJay View Post
Attachment 164420

Attachment 164421

Attachment 164422

Got a heck of a first Black bear this year. never expected an oppurtunity to present itself like this one. 6ft3in and memories to last a lifetime.
Congratulations! The big boys will be coming out of the shadows at this time of the year!

BW
Old 06-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

well done!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Beauty... did you end up getting him up in whitecourt or did you find another spot ??
Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 PM

I ended up getting an invite from a friend to go hunting out near beaver lodge. So I took him up on his offer, will be going up near Whitecourt next week to try and help a couple friends fill their tags though.