Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 AM

Default Big nocturnal black bear

I’ve got a stud coming in every night or two to help himself to my beaver cage. He’s arriving at 11Pm and leaving around 1am. He won’t even look at my oat/oil/sugar barrel or my cookie barrel. Anyone have experience or tips on getting this guy in during daylight hours? There is only one other bear coming to the bait, a lil guy that prefers the morning hours so not much for competition. No sows coming that I know of.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:04 AM

Bring the beaver in with you when you go to sit and bring it out with you when you leave

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 11:47 AM

Better than transporting a stinking carcass every day; put it on wire rope so you can pull it into a position the bear can't get at it at night then put it back in play during the day. It may take the bear quite some time to figure it out whether you remove the carcass or just remove access but at least with the carcass out of reach the bear is going to hang around the area, if you remove the scent completely he may move on. Getting night visiting bears to show up during daylight is really tough no matter what you try. Best of luck.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:33 PM

I have never baited bears so not going to suggest anything because it would be an uneducated guess. I am going to break down and try this baiting to see what it’s like one day

But if you try any of the suggestions give it would be interesting to hear the results.

Either way sounds like a smart old bear
Old 05-17-2020, 01:17 PM

if you are a trapper can you not trap him .
Is he leaving any good size foot prints behind .
Old 05-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Nocturnal bears are crazy smart. 2 guys in, 1 guy leaves an hour before legal.
Good luck. Pics plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 01:23 PM

I don't know if you have tried it or not, but have you been using a call to try and bring him in during the day. Black Bears are very predatory and will often respond to Fawn of Elk Calf in distress calls. I would first try this away from the bait site in an open area within a half mile along the direction of travel the big guy is leaving and coming from. If no joy after a couple of days trying this it won't hurt to try calling from the bait site as well.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:04 PM

I’m going to rig up a system to lift the cage out of his reach during the night. The bait is right where I work so I have that option. He hasn’t left any tracks but I have good night pics. Calling him hadn’t crossed my mind yet, not to say it wouldn’t work. If it was easier to post pics on here I would.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 PM

It doesn’t help my bait is in the bear bait capital of the world (Cyn City) so ya I’m counting on him being very smart.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
if you are a trapper can you not trap him .
Is he leaving any good size foot prints behind .
Not legal to trap bears.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Nocturnal bears are crazy smart. 2 guys in, 1 guy leaves an hour before legal.
Good luck. Pics plz.

They don't get big by being stupid. Pressure makes them nocturnal as well.

Grizz
Old 05-17-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Marlin View Post
I’ve got a stud coming in every night or two to help himself to my beaver cage. He’s arriving at 11Pm and leaving around 1am. He won’t even look at my oat/oil/sugar barrel or my cookie barrel. Anyone have experience or tips on getting this guy in during daylight hours? There is only one other bear coming to the bait, a lil guy that prefers the morning hours so not much for competition. No sows coming that I know of.
Enlist support from the Master Baiter(RJ)

There are no absolutes
Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 PM

It is not at all unusual for black bears to be active at night. Many folks are not aware of this fact simply because unless they become close up and personal they are never seen.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I don't know if you have tried it or not, but have you been using a call to try and bring him in during the day. Black Bears are very predatory and will often respond to Fawn of Elk Calf in distress calls. I would first try this away from the bait site in an open area within a half mile along the direction of travel the big guy is leaving and coming from. If no joy after a couple of days trying this it won't hurt to try calling from the bait site as well.
This...also bears tend to stop when calling stops ,short attention span..so keep the sound coming .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 10:51 PM

Sounds like he’s patterned you as much as you’ve patterned Him...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You don’t get the reputation he does without mastering the bait game
Old 05-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You don’t get the reputation he does without mastering the bait game.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=reddeerhunter;4171436]Nocturnal bears are crazy smart. 2 guys in, 1 guy leaves an hour before legal.
Good luck. Pics plz.

This one is going to be hard to get. Keep Patterning him if you have time it may change. If he's still nocturnal in a week. Try the 2 in 1 out it works. Get your partner to drop a sprinkle of vanilla on his way out if it gets to that.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 AM

Default black bear

A trapper cannot trap black bears. We are only allowed to shoot 6 each season without a hunting license.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM

So how you making out with you nocturnal tank. Have you got the cage rigged and have u tried calling him?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 PM

Don’t ask, wasted a bunch of time thinking I could screw a curled foot peg into the tree and then pull up my cage with a chain similar to passing link through the loop. I’m gonna need to use wire rope. I pulled as hard as I could and could feel the chain stretching slightly but the individual chain links wouldn’t jump the peg. It doesn’t help my cage alone weighs 65-70 lbs plus another 65-70lbs of beavers in it. Back to the drawing board.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Marlin View Post
Don’t ask, wasted a bunch of time thinking I could screw a curled foot peg into the tree and then pull up my cage with a chain similar to passing link through the loop. I’m gonna need to use wire rope. I pulled as hard as I could and could feel the chain stretching slightly but the individual chain links wouldn’t jump the peg. It doesn’t help my cage alone weighs 65-70 lbs plus another 65-70lbs of beavers in it. Back to the drawing board.
Yup. Wire rope and a pulley will go a very long ways to make that work a whole bunch easier. At 150 pounds you may end up needing a block and tackle with 3/16 wire rope.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM

Man those big old bears are beyond cagey. Especially in a pressured area. He’s got a broad head or two in him already. About June 5th he will slip up chasing a sow. But more then likely season is closed by then.

Could try pouring him the beavers and hunt him from 100 yards away out of a sealed plywood box. That’s damn near the only way your going to kill him he will check the downwind side of the bait no matter which way the wind is going. He knows all the baits in the area and will just got hit another bait after dark where there is no hunter. Could mess around with leaving some sweaty clothes in your stand. If your real committed you could hunt a road or cut line 200 yards away and hope you catch him cruising.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:33 PM

I said the exact same thing to my kid today, he’s likely got an arrow in the arse at one time. lol
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM

I see your from DV. I feed one out there with a white blaze. 550lbs, skulls are skulls somewhere between 19.5-22” when he sits down in front of a upright 55 gallon drum you can’t see the drum behind him. Not killable.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Default try this

Leave a cheap radio on at the bait site after dark to disrupt his dining .Is there a staging area he is watching you come and go from?Place a stand there and a dummy/buddy in the usual stand.He is likely bedding close to the food source.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Leave a cheap radio on at the bait site after dark to disrupt his dining .Is there a staging area he is watching you come and go from?Place a stand there and a dummy/buddy in the usual stand.He is likely bedding close to the food source.

Was thinking the same thing. Figure out what his path of travel in is then set a tree stand away from the bait but just off that travel route and he might be hanging out on the fringes waiting till dark and u might catch him in his staging area

Old 05-19-2020, 11:40 AM

wow ,great reading guys!
So many good ideas layed out , if he follows 1 or 2 that bear's in the Bag!
Best of luck on your Hunt!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I see your from DV. I feed one out there with a white blaze. 550lbs, skulls are skulls somewhere between 19.5-22” when he sits down in front of a upright 55 gallon drum you can’t see the drum behind him. Not killable.
Old Bears get to be smart bears but their is no Bear that in unkillable. If you are willing to invest the time and work they are all getable, especially big Boars in the heat of the Rut. They will move around in daylight to find breeding females. They can also be called and two guys moving carefully can sneak into their bedrooms and get a shot.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Old Bears get to be smart bears but their is no Bear that in unkillable. If you are willing to invest the time and work they are all getable, especially big Boars in the heat of the Rut. They will move around in daylight to find breeding females. They can also be called and two guys moving carefully can sneak into their bedrooms and get a shot.
Post pics of your 21” plus bears dean!!