Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Grizzly questions..

It seems your grizzly population is expanding by reading here, is it actually?
If so are ther guidelines in place as to how far they will let the grizzly encroach?
Are the grizzlys expanding into and harming crops?
Lastly, do your Bio's think there is a natural barrier of some sort to curb grizzly expansion?

Osky
Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 AM

Yes grizzly are expanding in numbers and range this can be said for all of western Canada

I doubt there is a set limit they will allow encroachment. Grizzly management is very political and science based management is lacking

Grizzly have been and are an increasing issue regarding live stock and crops. They cause all the same problems black bear do just with more attitude

Nope they are not going to be stopped by natural barriers. They do have habitat they prefer though so fringe habitat would never hold high density

When living in BC I would assist one of the bios with information and location of grizzly in his region. Learned a fair amount about them from this and hunting them. They have a whole lot of myths that make them out to be the boogeymen of the bush but a lot is exaggerated in my opinion
Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
It seems your grizzly population is expanding by reading here, is it actually?
If so are ther guidelines in place as to how far they will let the grizzly encroach?
Are the grizzlys expanding into and harming crops?
Lastly, do your Bio's think there is a natural barrier of some sort to curb grizzly expansion?

Osky
Yes they are definitely expanding, both in number and the range they now occupy. Alberta F&W biologists have done studies to confirm this. As far as I am aware there are absolutely no guidelines as to how many and where. No, there is no natural barrier to curb range or population expansion. With the human out of the equation, they have no other predictors. Beyond that, the only other natural limiting factor is their food supply which appears to be somewhat plentiful.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:47 AM

There was always a large population of them in the South. Now exponentially more so. They are killing cattle and being trapped all spring down here. There is a local video circulating of six of them in one bunch this spring. I see them every spring while hunting black bear. Have multiples on my trail camera etc.

Anyone that tells you they are scarce is up at night.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Yes they are definitely expanding, both in number and the range they now occupy. Alberta F&W biologists have done studies to confirm this. As far as I am aware there are absolutely no guidelines as to how many and where. No, there is no natural barrier to curb range or population expansion. With the human out of the equation, they have no other predictors. Beyond that, the only other natural limiting factor is their food supply which appears to be somewhat plentiful.
While I know what you're trying to say, its pretty important to note that humans are still very much in the equation of grizzly bear mortality. Bear hunting may not be a part of the equation but there is still a lot of bear mortality that's human related.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
While I know what you're trying to say, its pretty important to note that humans are still very much in the equation of grizzly bear mortality. Bear hunting may not be a part of the equation but there is still a lot of bear mortality that's human related.
Good grief.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2020, 08:03 AM

Nope they are not going to be stopped by natural barriers. They do have habitat they prefer though so fringe habitat would never hold high density

In the old days, Grizzlies were Plains animals, they're trying to reclaim that habitat.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Good grief.
Ok.....its part of the equation even when theres a hunting season so figured it was worth pointing out. Often hunting mortality is combined with other human caused mortality (at least in BC it was) and that's what determined tag numbers. Or just 'good grief' if that's easier regarding the conversation.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Ok.....its part of the equation even when theres a hunting season so figured it was worth pointing out. Often hunting mortality is combined with other human caused mortality (at least in BC it was) and that's what determined tag numbers. Or just 'good grief' if that's easier regarding the conversation.
Compared to 50 years ago, humans have almost negligible impact on Grizzly populations. And they were a problem 50 years ago. We need more human intervention, not less.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2020, 08:20 AM

The Alberta Government filed a report completed in 2014, available online that indicates at that time, 172 individual grizzly bears were using the relatively small range in the SW area of the province. It was also estimated at that time, the GB population in this area was increasing at approximately 4% per year.
I have seen the video referred to by Chuck. My son ranches east of highway #6. A number of bears are now traveling east of the highway feeding on crops and last spring and summer were hanging around a feedlot located in the area feeding on deads. This spring, my daughter in law saw a lone GB passing through just south of their house. As stated above, these bears have not been a direct threat to humans in the area, however have presented a problem to local ranches, particularly during calving season as they have little difficulty killing and feeding on newborn calves.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

In the old days, Grizzlies were Plains animals, they're trying to reclaim that habitat.

Grizz
Yes grizzly did inhabit the prairie’s but we have also drastically changed the prairie ecosystem. With the lack of buffalo and clearing of land for agricultural it’s not the same habitat the grizzly once inhabited. Only time will tell how they adapt to the changes to the land, swapping buffalo for cattle, and the added crops

Like I said there is no natural barrier but density will be effected by habitat and resources it provides. This goes for all species not just grizzly
Old 05-13-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Compared to 50 years ago, humans have almost negligible impact on Grizzly populations. And they were a problem 50 years ago. We need more human intervention, not less.
I didn't say any different Chuck. I said its part of the equation when it comes to hunting, and its something that a lot of people dont take into account when they're looking at allowable harvest of grizz. It has a big affect on tag numbers in a place like the Kootenays with railways, self defense kills, poached bears, highway kills, etc.

The g-bear hunt in BC wasn't done to lower populations in recent years, so much as it was allowed within an acceptable human mortality number and was a sustainable hunt. I believe the number the BC gov used was 6% in the Kootenays.

I guess you're right....good grief.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:42 AM

If you were interested in Grizzly Bear mortality records (at least provides a little context for mortality in BMA's, however does exclude areas just east of the BMA's which have also seen lots of grizzly activity) https://open.alberta.ca/publications...tality-summary

And for further context, you can see the GB occurrence summary in the 3 southern most Bear Management Areas:
https://open.alberta.ca/publications...-summary-bma-4
https://open.alberta.ca/publications...-summary-bma-5
https://open.alberta.ca/publications...-summary-bma-6

Seeing how some problem bears are having to be destroyed, it sure would be great if a hunt could be initiated to control the population rather than have F&W use time and resources to deal with them.

DR
Old 05-13-2020, 08:43 AM

The river basins around here all have at least some now. Anyone hanging around Stauffer, Prairie, Red Deer, Little Red Deer, Burnt Stick, Beaver and Birch Lake, north of RMH to Drayton and anywhere east of Rimbey, even if you can see the city or highway, you better learn to be bear smart. There is not the odd one cautiously passing through anymore. They are there in numbers all the time.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
The river basins around here all have at least some now. Anyone hanging around Stauffer, Prairie, Red Deer, Little Red Deer, Burnt Stick, Beaver and Birch Lake, north of RMH to Drayton and anywhere east of Rimbey, even if you can see the city or highway, you better learn to be bear smart. There is not the odd one cautiously passing through anymore. They are there in numbers all the time.
Around here I need to be bear smart even if I can see my house.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Like an idiot I was wandering around a lease in your area looking for sheds the other day like I was strolling through a city park. I literally walked right into a fresh moose kill. It was thick willows on a quarter I have frequented for years. A day or two earlier and it could have been very ugly.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:01 AM

There’re is bears everywhere everyone stay home it’s worse then Covid19. At the minimum stay away from my hunting and fishing areas it’s safer at home

Being serious though it does not matter if it’s black bears or grizzly just acknowledge they are out there and don’t stress too much about. Like was already post be bear aware out there because you can run into them anytime

I have spent time in many bear infested locations with high numbers of both black bear and grizzly. Still one off my worst bear encounters was in a friend’s backyard in a residential area of all places
Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Like an idiot I was wandering around a lease in your area looking for sheds the other day like I was strolling through a city park. I literally walked right into a fresh moose kill. It was thick willows on a quarter I have frequented for years. A day or two earlier and it could have been very ugly.
Neighbour was actually charged looking for sheds a week ago. Deeded land SW of town
Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
And there are signs on the road to remind you.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And there are signs on the road to remind you.

Grizz
Haven't noticed any around here. That would be admitting there are actually grizzly east of the trunk road
Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Haven't noticed any around here. That would be admitting there are actually grizzly east of the trunk road
I saw one last fall while cutting wood between lodgepole and Brazeau. Been cutting wood there for years and that was a first For me in that area. I quickly moved☺️
Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
This is the back roads version of ours, put up by Mountainview Bear Smart. apparently people like to steal these.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Interesting guys. The number given of 170 some bears counted in 2014 with an annual increase of 4%. Back then, a mixed population of over 170 could only produce 7 more bears to survival yearly?

Osky
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
This is the back roads version of ours, put up by Mountainview Bear Smart. apparently people like to steal these.

Grizz
I'll have to ask Clearwater county for one to be placed at the end of my driveway
Old 05-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Interesting guys. The number given of 170 some bears counted in 2014 with an annual increase of 4%. Back then, a mixed population of over 170 could only produce 7 more bears to survival yearly?

Osky
I bet the 4% number is a net increase after factoring in mortality.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:08 PM

This might be a bit of a derail - but when talking about human caused mortality - do they allow First Nations to hunt grizzlies? I’d heard from a guy at work that he was allowed to (he never did) so long as he registered the kill with F&W.

Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
This might be a bit of a derail - but when talking about human caused mortality - do they allow First Nations to hunt grizzlies? I’d heard from a guy at work that he was allowed to (he never did) so long as he registered the kill with F&W.

Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?
I remember a news story about the main train track going through the Rockies. Lots of black and grizzly killed every year by trains due to the animals eating grains that leak out of railcars.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
I bet the 4% number is a net increase after factoring in mortality.
Sorry, I should have been more clear using the 4% value. There were 172 different bears identified in the area. Since grizzly bears are very transient animals and use large habitat areas throughout the year, some of the reported population travel into and out of BC and northern Montana as well. The 4% value appears to apply only to the population of bears who call SW Alberta home. I believe the reported resident population was 67 at the time the report was released.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'll have to ask Clearwater county for one to be placed at the end of my driveway
I think Bearsmart is moving into Clearwater this year. You may not have to ask.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear using the 4% value. There were 172 different bears identified in the area. Since grizzly bears are very transient animals and use large habitat areas throughout the year, some of the reported population travel into and out of BC and northern Montana as well. The 4% value appears to apply only to the population of bears who call SW Alberta home. I believe the reported resident population was 67 at the time the report was released.

That seems a bit more plausible.

Osky