Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Bear Hides

Hey all, my son and I are wanting to head up north and do some bear hunting. Would anyone like our bear hides?? Would like to give them away.

let me know, thanks.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:40 PM

Yes! I'd very much like one. If you are in calgary.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:54 PM

Yes please. I m in Calgary
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Where up North?
If you are going by Alberta Taxidermy at New Sarepta, contact Manfred.
I used to be able to cover most of my gas bill by selling a few bear hides to him.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:59 AM

Need to find, then shoot bear first, then give hide away!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Need to find, then shoot bear first, then give hide away!
There's this very common French Canadian saying that goes: "don't sell the bear's hide before you've killed it".

It applies to any situation where someone makes assumes success before accomplishing any tasks but it literally applies to this thread.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherboy View Post
Hey all, my son and I are wanting to head up north and do some bear hunting. Would anyone like our bear hides?? Would like to give them away.

let me know, thanks.
Just a question ? do use the meat,
Old 04-27-2020, 10:21 AM

I wish Alberta did not have the hide rule. I eat the meat and a bear has to be really special for me to keep the hide for myself

Odds are if I shoot a bear this spring I will be stuck trying to find the hide a home
Old 04-27-2020, 11:12 AM

I would take them as well if anyone has them to give away. I know some amateur tanners who would like to learn on some free hides.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
X2?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I wish Alberta did not have the hide rule. I eat the meat and a bear has to be really special for me to keep the hide for myself

Odds are if I shoot a bear this spring I will be stuck trying to find the hide a home
Yep and just across the border in BC you dont have to keep the hide and must salvage the meat. Funny differences.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Yep and just across the border in BC you dont have to keep the hide and must salvage the meat. Funny differences.
That is where I started bear hunting. The funny thing is you have some in BC who wish it was hide only and those in Alberta who wish it was meat only. No matter which one is mandatory someone is not happy

Too bad Alberta did not have a program where hunters could donate bear hides. Maybe they could be sent to the fur auction and proceeds go to wildlife/habitat
Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Too bad Alberta did not have a program where hunters could donate bear hides. Maybe they could be sent to the fur auction and proceeds go to wildlife/habitat
That's actually a really good idea!

I love bear hunting (and Heaven knows we need to keep the population in check), but a fella only needs so many hides.

When I told Incredigirl that we could save on our meat bill if I bring a nice plump bear home, she threw up a bit in her mouth. Just not a palatable concept for her, I suppose...
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM

I used to donate to a taxidermy shop ,back in Manitoba
Old 04-28-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That's actually a really good idea!

I love bear hunting (and Heaven knows we need to keep the population in check), but a fella only needs so many hides.

When I told Incredigirl that we could save on our meat bill if I bring a nice plump bear home, she threw up a bit in her mouth. Just not a palatable concept for her, I suppose...
Bear meat definitely has a stigma to it and this prevents a lot of people from trying it. You also get people like my brother who says it tastes fine but cannot get past the fact of eating bear. My grandpa would not even try it because he says the look too much like a person when you skin them

I have also fed people bear meat many times and they are in shock how good it is

Not my top choice of meat but still good and some recipes I really enjoy
Old 04-28-2020, 08:40 AM

I used to make sausage with fall bears and give away as moose ,people loved it
Old 04-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Gone Hunting

I know trappers can sell bear hides and bears are not classed as fur bearing animals.

I suspect it may be legal for anyone to sell the hide of a bear they shot, but I'd check it out thoroughly before deciding what to do.

I know it is legal for anyone to sell a tanned hide so a hunter could have the hide tanned and then sell it. Just add the cost of tanning to the selling price.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I used to make sausage with fall bears and give away as moose ,people loved it
I have not found a person yet that did not like well made bear sausage. Stir fry, tacos, and burgers also go over well
Old 04-28-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
That is where I started bear hunting. The funny thing is you have some in BC who wish it was hide only and those in Alberta who wish it was meat only. No matter which one is mandatory someone is not happy

As a long time BC hunter I can tell you the bear meat recovery requirement was solely implemented in order to placate the granola eater types. Bears were not to be considered only a "trophy" animal. The same line of reasoning recently resulted in cougar having the same requirement.

What it has done is greatly reduce the number of bears being shot by casual hunters, since handling the meat is a much more onerous requirement than recovering a hide.

Unfortunately, as many know, an increase in bear numbers will result in a decrease in ungulate calf/fawn survival. In meetings with provincial wildlife biologists, regarding low ungulate counts, local hunters were told they could/should shoot their limit of bears to help out!
Old 04-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
As a long time BC hunter I can tell you the bear meat recovery requirement was solely implemented in order to placate the granola eater types. Bears were not to be considered only a "trophy" animal. The same line of reasoning recently resulted in cougar having the same requirement.

What it has done is greatly reduce the number of bears being shot by casual hunters, since handling the meat is a much more onerous requirement than recovering a hide.

Unfortunately, as many know, an increase in bear numbers will result in a decrease in ungulate calf/fawn survival. In meetings with provincial wildlife biologists, regarding low ungulate counts, local hunters were told they could/should shoot their limit of bears to help out!
Grew up in a family of bear hunters and watched the law’s progress in BC in stages from no retention to hind quarters to all edible portions. I completely realize it was political and not hunters because those who wanted the meat always could

It had a huge impact on bear harvest at first but in recent years more in BC target bears and eat bear meat. I have not been gone from BC long

Not advocating Alberta to go mandatory meat harvest but instead I find it a pain to have to recover the hide when I don’t have a use for it unless it’s something special. In a perfect world it would be hide or meat recovery hunters choice but that is not the case.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Not sure about OP , but I eat bear meat. Also trim and render all that fat. Walking White gold . Great in pastry and other cooking and very common used “medicine”
Old 04-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Grew up in a family of bear hunters and watched the law’s progress in BC in stages from no retention to hind quarters to all edible portions. I completely realize it was political and not hunters because those who wanted the meat always could

It had a huge impact on bear harvest at first but in recent years more in BC target bears and eat bear meat. I have not been gone from BC long

Not advocating Alberta to go mandatory meat harvest but instead I find it a pain to have to recover the hide when I don’t have a use for it unless it’s something special. In a perfect world it would be hide or meat recovery hunters choice but that is not the case.
NL and BC are meat recovery not hide. AB is hide recovery not meat.....???
Either way it’s good that people get out in early season and save a few calves and fawns.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know trappers can sell bear hides and bears are not classed as fur bearing animals.

I suspect it may be legal for anyone to sell the hide of a bear they shot, but I'd check it out thoroughly before deciding what to do.

I know it is legal for anyone to sell a tanned hide so a hunter could have the hide tanned and then sell it. Just add the cost of tanning to the selling price.
Any bear legally shot, so tagged or shot on private land may be sold.
It's on page 19 of the trapping regs.
Basically the same for beaver and coyote where you don't need a trapper license to sell them.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 PM

Default Bear hides

Hi,
I was also wondering about bear hides. Last year was my first bear hunt and it was awesome! I sent the hide to a taxidermist and am still waiting for it to be finished. I tried bear meat 2 years ago and love it. A totally underrated meat in my opinion lol. This year, my son and I will be hunting bear again and were wondering what to do with the hides. We are located in the High Level area. Is there anyone on here that would like our hides or know of someone wanting them. Free to the taking We may possibly have 2.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:09 PM

Considering the current state of our ungulate populations harvesting predators, such as bears should be a top priority. I wonder if changing the regulations to allow for taking the meat OR the hide would increase harvest rates. Personally I know if I didn’t have to retain the hide, I would probably hunt them more. My brother loves bear meat but I don’t see him hunting them much more due to the hide retention rules. How would we go about getting this rule changed?i know writing political figures seems to be a useless endeavour.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
Hi,
I was also wondering about bear hides. Last year was my first bear hunt and it was awesome! I sent the hide to a taxidermist and am still waiting for it to be finished. I tried bear meat 2 years ago and love it. A totally underrated meat in my opinion lol. This year, my son and I will be hunting bear again and were wondering what to do with the hides. We are located in the High Level area. Is there anyone on here that would like our hides or know of someone wanting them. Free to the taking We may possibly have 2.
Might be an idea to post this in the trapping section, you might get a trapper that will take it, flesh it, and sell it. But you have to leave the claws on. And get it to him in a short period before the hair starts to slip. Or freeze it if you have a freezer with you. Salt it only if it’s been fleshed. And find out how to skin out the paws to leave the claws on and flesh out of there.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM

I would shoot more bears if it were an “either/or” scenario with hide vs meat. And if they need a certain quota shot, why not have a “donate the hide” program?
Old 05-20-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I have not found a person yet that did not like well made bear sausage. Stir fry, tacos, and burgers also go over well
Smoky, black bear also makes the best jerky on the planet.

Osky
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Bear meat definitely has a stigma to it and this prevents a lot of people from trying it. You also get people like my brother who says it tastes fine but cannot get past the fact of eating bear. My grandpa would not even try it because he says the look too much like a person when you skin them

I have also fed people bear meat many times and they are in shock how good it is

Not my top choice of meat but still good and some recipes I really enjoy
Question.Keep in mind im asking as i dont have a slightest idea on the answer> Spring bear, mainly around the first week or 2 in may, is the meat decent to really eat as,they just came out of hibernation ,pushing the plug out maybe a week at most?
Is all the waste in the system purged enough for a decent bear meat? lastly when there on some old nasty bait like overripe beaver ,will that not complicate the issue?
my last guide said it wasn't good ,not sure if it was a pain to additionally process or the thoughts from above>
Old 05-20-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Smoky, black bear also makes the best jerky on the planet.

Osky
I like bear jerky but I will take moose or elk jerky over it any day. It could be you use a better recipe though because a good brine can go a long ways