Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Default Restricted transfers??

Has anyone found that the CFO is not processing restricted transfers in a timely manner?
Just wondering amidst the current COVID19 pandemic if our Liberal government is going to instruct them to stop all transfers of restricted firearms?
I have been wanting a new revolver lately but certainly don't want to shell out my hard earned cash if the transfer is going to sit in limbo for months?
Just seeing if anyone else has had a delay.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:45 AM

(reposted from the CCFR)

PSA: The Canadian Firearms Centre in Miramichi has been closed due to Covid-19. New PAL/RPAL applications will experience significant delays. Renewals should be sent by registered mail (dated) or done online and printed with a date stamp.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 AM

That’s a good question, I’ve been thinking of going and buying a new hand gun as well. But hard to say what will happen with the registration, anyone in the middle of this right now?

I was at Cabela’s the other day and quite a few handguns sold while I was waiting for my reloading supplies.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Well I bought another hand gun this morning. I’ll report back if the transfer is a pita or not.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Received a transfer notification by e-mail on Tuesday.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:07 PM

Glad to know they’re still in the office, for the time being I suppose.

Still haven’t got my transfer for my handgun purchase, I’m not in a rush but maybe next week.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Well I bought another hand gun this morning. I’ll report back if the transfer is a pita or not.
Expect longer days.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM

So I bought that handgun on a Wednesday. Never called to get it transferred last week. Tried Monday, they have an email to contact instead of calling in. I emailed them Monday about the situation and just got the call from p and d to come pick it up. So 4 days by email, not bad really. Considering after you email them you get a reply stating 5 business days.

For buying used restricted guns, I called that transfer line and had a lady answer first ring. So a transfer from person to person would probably be faster then buying from a store.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Here is latest info the Firearms Center posted on their site yesterday.

"Impacts on services due to the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Due to measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Canadian Firearms Program is currently experiencing significant impacts to our services, like many other service providers in Canada.

Clients may experience longer than normal wait times when calling the contact centre
The processing of applications for a new firearm licence is on hold until further notice
The production of firearms licence cards is on hold until further notice
The delivery of Firearms Safety Course (s) may be postponed due to social distancing protocols
Firearm licence expiry
As per the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, since October 2017, individuals have a six-month extension (grace) period past the expiry date printed on their firearms licence card to submit a renewal application online
Your firearms licence card will remain valid, with limitations, during this extension (grace) period
Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web Services.
Firearm licence renewal
The processing of firearms licence renewal applications submitted by mail is on hold until further notice
We recommend submitting your application to renew your firearms licence via Individual Web Services.
The production of firearms licence cards is on hold until further notice, however, law enforcement agencies and firearms businesses can validate your licence status online
Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web Services.
As this is an evolving situation, we will continue to provide updates on our website as required.

If you are looking for statistics on the Canadian Firearms Program, please visit the latest annual report.

Date modified: 2020-03-25"
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM

I just sold one, called on the 20th afternoon, had email notification on the 25th in the morning.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Delays

Bought back a handgun I used to own to help a guy out. Been over a week and neither of us has heard anything..
Old 03-27-2020, 11:04 AM

Bought something from Calgary Shooting Centre yesterday afternoon. Just received an email that my application has been processed.