Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THMF View Post
404 has been over run with wolves and bears for many years. You have a better chance of calling in a bear or a pack of wolves when you call for elk. The elk have learned not to be very vocal.
I agree for the most part, but there are still some great pockets in there if you know where to go. The numbers aren't awesome but if you can manage to get a 6-pointer to come in it's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime rocky mountain bull.

We don't plan for more than a couple days in there any more, but the days we do spend in there are always great & the country is hard to beat. Our expectations are in check though lol

J
Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Spent a week camping and hiking everyday in upper 402 last year. In 7 days we seen 3 elk, 2 spike bulls and a cow. We hunt hard, out before the sun and back to camp in the dark. 3 passionate guys in late 20's in shape and we got beat hard. Very very tough hunt without the weather, and the weather changes out there daily by the hour at times, be prepared for every type. This has been a good post. These guys are not bluffing about the wolves and bears so be prepared. Fish & Wildlife releases problem/trapped bears at the gate in the north end of the zone so yea there are lots of bears, mostly big brown ones. You'll cut more paw prints than hoofs guaranteed. Bring spray and carry a defender and be prepared to use both. Hopefully the new 6 point rule will recover the elk in that area but it's going to take some time. Do the elk a favor in that area and dedicate your hunt to a wolf hunt. I would honestly avoid this hunt if you're only on foot and especially if you're solo.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM

I have hunted Elk in the mountains and foothills for 40 years from the South way up to the North.

402 along with all the other east slope areas has been decimated by Wolves and bears. The draw and 6 point rules have made it worse for some zones like 402 which gets a tremendous amount of pressure.

My observation is that in these general zones pressure is heavy and Elk are scarce and reclusive.

Some of the six point draw zones could have a limited number of 5 point tags given out, and perhaps some of them should go back to general. this would spread out the hunting pressure and at the very least make for a more enjoyable hunting experience.

I mentioned 430 in my last post,there were huntable numbers of Elk there up until around 12 years ago, if you knew where to look.. The herd bulls I see now are BIG 5 pointers with the odd small six satellite bull hanging around.

Not a single bull was recorded in the harvest report in 2018 in 430.

I can see the day coming when it all gets put on draw in all the mountain zones, and just like 328 and 429 last year we have a reduced season for the rest of the foothills.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
Spent a week camping and hiking everyday in upper 402 last year. In 7 days we seen 3 elk, 2 spike bulls and a cow. We hunt hard, out before the sun and back to camp in the dark. 3 passionate guys in late 20's in shape and we got beat hard. Very very tough hunt without the weather, and the weather changes out there daily by the hour at times, be prepared for every type. This has been a good post. These guys are not bluffing about the wolves and bears so be prepared. Fish & Wildlife releases problem/trapped bears at the gate in the north end of the zone so yea there are lots of bears, mostly big brown ones. You'll cut more paw prints than hoofs guaranteed. Bring spray and carry a defender and be prepared to use both. Hopefully the new 6 point rule will recover the elk in that area but it's going to take some time. Do the elk a favor in that area and dedicate your hunt to a wolf hunt. I would honestly avoid this hunt if you're only on foot and especially if you're solo.
Is the 6 point rule confirmed, if so did they say for the upcoming season?

I definately agree on getting after some wolves but strongly disagree on avoiding if you're on foot or solo... Ive been doing it that was for many years.. When they have wolves and bears after them you have to find area's wolves and bears dont like to go... Sometimes thats closer to people rather than deeper in the woods.

My last two bulls i could see gravel road in the distance when i was gutting. Get up high and spot or travel and glass openings till you find the area they are in... Then get after them.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 PM

Curious about hearing 402 is potentially being switched to 6 point zone , and where people have heard this from? I’d guess if this was case they’d make the same change in 400 as well.

Regardless would be awesome to see big elk numbers in the mountain zones once again ! Kinda sad to hear how elk numbers are way down from ya ha tinda to crows nest into Kootenays bc
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 PM

I'm really glad this post got refreshed this year. I was hoping to solo day hunt in 402 potentially this year so this information has been very helpful.

I've also been e-scouting 406 and 308. Seems like less bears in 308.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post
Curious about hearing 402 is potentially being switched to 6 point zone , and where people have heard this from? I’d guess if this was case they’d make the same change in 400 as well.

Regardless would be awesome to see big elk numbers in the mountain zones once again ! Kinda sad to hear how elk numbers are way down from ya ha tinda to crows nest into Kootenays bc
Unfortunately without addressing the predator problem, I fear the change will do little to recover the elk population in 402 or any zone along the east-slopes.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncameron View Post
I'm really glad this post got refreshed this year. I was hoping to solo day hunt in 402 potentially this year so this information has been very helpful.

Way less bears, and more elk.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Hunted plus or minus 20 years in 402. Some years a day or two and some years couple weeks. Only ever shot 1 animal but it's still one of my favourite places to go. Early season, fresh pan fry trout and beautiful views. What's not to like
Old 04-06-2020, 03:09 PM

your... baiting us on the pan fried trout thing right....?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-06-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
your... baiting us on the pan fried trout thing right....?
LOL That was while ago when u could keep them up until end Sept.
Then catch and release for Oct.
Was just a favourite memory from past hunts
early morning hunt,fish afternoon's,nap,evening hunt and pan fry for supper
Cheers
Old 04-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
I had a very similar experience in 402! In the dark before sun up I was on a herd of elk mewing and then all of a sudden, the forest opened up and wolves were doing their victory howls after taking down a cow. It was something that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you change your elk hunt to a wolf hunt?

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Unfortunately without addressing the predator problem, I fear the change will do little to recover the elk population in 402 or any zone along the east-slopes.
I agree with this. The point restrictions, in my opinion, have always done hunters more harm than good.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I have hunted Elk in the mountains and foothills for 40 years from the South way up to the North.

402 along with all the other east slope areas has been decimated by Wolves and bears. The draw and 6 point rules have made it worse for some zones like 402 which gets a tremendous amount of pressure.

My observation is that in these general zones pressure is heavy and Elk are scarce and reclusive.

Some of the six point draw zones could have a limited number of 5 point tags given out, and perhaps some of them should go back to general. this would spread out the hunting pressure and at the very least make for a more enjoyable hunting experience.

I mentioned 430 in my last post,there were huntable numbers of Elk there up until around 12 years ago, if you knew where to look.. The herd bulls I see now are BIG 5 pointers with the odd small six satellite bull hanging around.

Not a single bull was recorded in the harvest report in 2018 in 430.

I can see the day coming when it all gets put on draw in all the mountain zones, and just like 328 and 429 last year we have a reduced season for the rest of the foothills.
I’ll be trying in future years to do my part in 428,429 just got a trap line out there, I’ll be trying to take care of some wolves in future years.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM

Only 24 bulls and 4 cows shoot in wmu 402 last year. Total of 2815 elk shoot in Grande Prairie and Peace River last fall.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Only 24 bulls and 4 cows shoot in wmu 402 last year. Total of 2815 elk shoot in Grande Prairie and Peace River last fall.
Exactly!!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncameron View Post

My 2 cents:
of places I've hunted the most in the past 8 years, it's 406 and 308. I've seen just as many g bears in 308 as 402. Haven't had a bad encounter but it changes the mood of the hunt to say the least.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
My 2 cents:
of places I've hunted the most in the past 8 years, it's 406 and 308. I've seen just as many g bears in 308 as 402. Haven't had a bad encounter but it changes the mood of the hunt to say the least.
I totally agree with your statement about 308, I hike mostly instead of hunting 308, why.... because it's my best chance at taking photos of wolves, cougars and g bears. Lots and lots there.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:19 PM

Default 402 Scouting on Horseback

Just reading through this string and figured I would throw this out there.
If there is anyone looking to go into the back country of 402 on horseback, I would like to team up with you. I have all the gear needed for most any outing and years of experience guiding. I hunted 402 hard before moving North but haven't been back there much since 2000. I doubt you would be giving up a honey hole that I haven't been to at some time in the past.
PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I totally agree with your statement about 308, I hike mostly instead of hunting 308, why.... because it's my best chance at taking photos of wolves, cougars and g bears. Lots and lots there.
Well there are certainly more elk taken out of 308 than 402 and way more than 404/406.

If these travel restrictions end I'll have to go start scouting these zones.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
This basically mirrors my experience two years ago. Spent 8 days, split between 400 and 402 in mid Sept archery. We hunted hard from dark till dark, clocked huge mileage on foot and glassed a lot. Didn't run into a single other hunter, but we were a good ways back the whole time. We ran into elk on three days, but they were very quiet, and elusive. Lots of bear sign, but didn't run into any. The terrain was awesome and we had a great time, but very little elk action for the significant effort we put in. It's great to get some other perspectives in this thread.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 AM

Well, the 2020 draws booklet is out and it appears 402 is still a 3-point general unit. For this year at least?? I went looking for information on the proposed 6-point change and couldn't find anything. I hate to nag but does anyone have a source where that originated?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 AM

And as for bears I typically hunt mid-late November and have NEVER seen a single track. Though I do worry the only bear out that late would be a sickly old black bear too cranky to hibernate.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM

There's elk there.... they are quiet.... in small pockets.... and usually well away from random camp areas and common quad trails.

If they are close to quad trails.... they are fairly nocturnal and quiet quiet quiet.

They also tend to be higher up where chubby hunters can't waddle up to.

Lots of wolves.... lots of bears. Griz tracks in late nov happens. 2 Years ago my son crept up to a noise and turned out it was a griz feeding and caching a carcass....... he got out of there fast lol.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Anyone having some luck in 402 or running into g bears???

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk

Tags
400, 402, elk