Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I never doubted you had time in grizzly country and you are entitled to your opinion. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree because I have way too much personal experience to change my mind on grizzly and the level of concern they warrant. There is no lack of experienced hunters who have very different opinions on grizzly

We are in agreement on the political issues when it comes to grizzly bears. There is no lack of false numbers and studies that were intentionally set up to fail. I know for a fact some populations are kept very hush and if your not asking the right questions you won’t hear about them. Plus in many cases bios truly just don’t know what is out there. There is a lot of anti money thrown towards grizzly as well

Still not onboard with blaming government and still believe people needed to realize bears and other predators are out there in general. People need to use common sense and realize animals don’t listen to where we believe they belong and can show up anywhere. The reality is even when people know what is out there they choose to make stupid choices. It is not just hikers from the city that make bad choices but also experienced outdoorsman

Either way I have the opinion I do for many reasons and I will leave it there everyone enjoy your time in the outdoors
Trouble with Grizzly generalizations is , they are individuals and it only takes one, having a bad day , to ruin yours.

Grizz
Old 05-16-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Trouble with Grizzly generalizations is , they are individuals and it only takes one, having a bad day , to ruin yours.

Grizz
That goes for all bears and they don’t seem to where name tags advertising bad attitudes lol

Don’t think I am saying they are there to cuddle with. I have had a few experiences that had me check my shorts. Sows with young cubs and stumbling on a grizzly with a kill have been interesting to say the least. But I can say there was a reason for every bad encounter.

They deserve respect that is for sure and no argument they can wreck your day. Grew up with two guys in a gun club that had major reconstruction surgery because of grizzly and helped look for a grizzly involved in a fatal attack.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Instead of F&W killing the problem bears, I think it would be great for our province to auction off a grizzly bear tag and the highest bidder has a F&W "guided hunt" to harvest the problem bear. Would make the province money which would benefit conservation efforts, eliminate a problem and make the hunter happy. A win-win-win in my opinion!
Auction some
Raffle some
Stay close to your phone and if you can’t come they keep calling til
Someone can
Old 05-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Saw two yesterday but they were in the Park not eating cows.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Good grief.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sightings around the NS river valley around Drayton and east of Drayton are becoming more and more frequent as the years go by. So yes there is no doubt they would be wandering farther down the valley towards Edmonton.

Also a dozen years or so ago there were 4 bighorn sheep hanging around river hill by the bridge over the N. Saskatchewan at Drayton for a couple weeks, then were gone not sure where they ended up, probably headed back up the valley toward the mountains where they came from.
15 years ago, I had a closeup encounter with one right behind Transalta's Keephills generating station. Had my 4 year old daughter with me. Big silvertip. That is 45 minutes from my door in the west end of Edmonton.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
15 years ago, I had a closeup encounter with one right behind Transalta's Keephills generating station. Had my 4 year old daughter with me. Big silvertip. That is 45 minutes from my door in the west end of Edmonton.
Went for a hike last night, about 3 miles west of Sundre. Landowner ran into a sow and two cubs the day before, fencing on his lease. They just left.

Grizz
Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 PM

I know for a fact there faster than me on the quarter horse gelding I team rope on, and they’ll run straight up the side of a mountain.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
yes, when an encounter with one of these does go wrong, it's often hospital or morgue, their fight or flight scale is like 95/5 fight/flight, whereas most other critters, even the ones that can hurt us, black bears/cougars are the opposite, like 5/95, worse yet is not only do the grizzly bears fight/flight at 95/5 ratio when surprised...they are the most powerful, largest, and do the most damage the fastest

love these animals, i have a huge respect and think about them 100% of the time i step west of the city limits, i'm good and most people i know are good, because i always hammer it home

if there's one animal in this province that the public should really know the full story on...it's the grizzly bear, and since the government manages them and we pay the government to manage them...if the public is misinformed due to 'not being informed'...that's guilty guilty either way you look at it imo

like i said, if some random landowners kids get mauled walking down the driveway to catch the bus in the morning....i'd be all about suing the govt. for the lack of information about their numbers and ranges. For real. Public safety.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Banned

i should add, they should be 100% huntable on private land, limited draw or otherwise, or possibly no different than black bears, wolves, cougars
Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 PM

We bumped into a bear on saturday that at first sight was a color phase black bear ..could have dropped the hammer on him but decided to get closer . At 200 yds we took a long hard look with him facing us but something wasnt quite right ...his posture and gait said " I have nothing to fear " and when he turnes broadside the dished face , small hump and flat rear end added up to grizzly ...the color? As red as a red angus cow ..this bear is gonna get killed by some one by mistake and they are gonna be real surprised when they walk up to him and see the long claws ,just glad it isnt gonna be me .

So be careful folks and make sure you are 100 % certain of your target , color means nothing .

Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
We bumped into a bear on saturday that at first sight was a color phase black bear ..could have dropped the hammer on him but decided to get closer . At 200 yds we took a long hard look with him facing us but something wasnt quite right ...his posture and gait said " I have nothing to fear " and when he turnes broadside the dished face , small hump and flat rear end added up to grizzly ...the color? As red as a red angus cow ..this bear is gonna get killed by some one by mistake and they are gonna be real surprised when they walk up to him and see the long claws ,just glad it isnt gonna be me .

So be careful folks and make sure you are 100 % certain of your target , color means nothing .

Good advice and will add a grizzly can be pretty much anywhere too
Old 05-21-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Like an idiot I was wandering around a lease in your area looking for sheds the other day like I was strolling through a city park. I literally walked right into a fresh moose kill. It was thick willows on a quarter I have frequented for years. A day or two earlier and it could have been very ugly.
That's probably a kill from the same boar grizz that likes to target moose around there. My husband ran into "Greg"Grizzly once while walking thru the bush around Caroline. Came within 50 yards when he seen him. It was a stare off with my hubs slowly backing up while training his .280 on him. He was a good bear, just gave my hubs a good side view of himself to show that he was a big bear and to not screw with him. He ran across the road in front of us about half an hour later to eat another gut pile beside the road, a nice chocolate bear, we figured he weighed in at around 500 lbs back them.