Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Sako Bolt Not Ejecting Shells

I have a Sako 338 WIN Mag that isn’t ejecting the shells when I open the bolt. Anyone have this happen and know the fix? Or know a good gunsmith around the Edson area I could take it to have it looked at?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:43 AM

Failure to eject is a common issue. Is the casing hitting the scope and dropping back into the action, this is common, or is it not trying to pop out at all, which would indicate a broken ejector/extractor. Closest good gunsmiths I know of are in the Edmonton or Rock Mountain house areas. The old guy, Lawrence Isley, that used to be in Edson passed away a number of years ago and I don't know of anyone doing good work there now.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Failure to eject is a common issue. Is the casing hitting the scope and dropping back into the action, this is common, or is it not trying to pop out at all, which would indicate a broken ejector/extractor. Closest good gunsmiths I know of are in the Edmonton or Rock Mountain house areas. The old guy, Lawrence Isley, that used to be in Edson passed away a number of years ago and I don't know of anyone doing good work there now.
II saw a friend the other day at the range with the same problem, sometimes the case would just lay in the mag well, other times it would fling 15 feet, and others stick halfway out,didn't matter how hard or soft you cycled the action!
Very disconcerting , considering the cost of the rifle.
Yet other friends I know have 85's with no issues!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-29-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 AM

If this just started, it could be grit jammed in the extractor, or a broken extractor. If this has been an issue since new, as it has been with some Sako rifles, you will need a gunsmith to modify or replace the extractor. I have owned several Sako rifles, and none had this issue, but some people have had issues with new rifles.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
I have a Sako 338 WIN Mag that isn’t ejecting the shells when I open the bolt. Anyone have this happen and know the fix? Or know a good gunsmith around the Edson area I could take it to have it looked at?
Is this a Sako 85?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:13 AM

My brothers did this, clean out the ejector claw mechanism. A squirt of cleaner and air blow out might do it if you don't want to take it apart and clean it up. If you Google how to take the ejector claw apart I'm sure you would find a video.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-29-2020, 11:43 AM

Does it extract from the chamber but refuse to eject from the action?
Or, does it not extract from the chamber?

Extraction and ejection are two different things.

There is no "ejection claw", there is an extraction claw.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Is this a Sako 85?
Yes.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Does it extract from the chamber but refuse to eject from the action?
Or, does it not extract from the chamber?

Extraction and ejection are two different things.

There is no "ejection claw", there is an extraction claw.
It extracts but doesn’t eject. Can you upload videos on this site? I have a video of what happens. It will eject if I give the bolt a second pull.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
It extracts but doesn’t eject. Can you upload videos on this site? I have a video of what happens. It will eject if I give the bolt a second pull.
If it is extracting but not ejecting on the first pull, and not bouncing off the scope, then likely you need to clean it out, at least that as the first step. If it was broken it would not work on the first or second try. Post the video on a hosting site and post the link here. This site does not directly host video.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If this just started, it could be grit jammed in the extractor, or a broken extractor. If this has been an issue since new, as it has been with some Sako rifles, you will need a gunsmith to modify or replace the extractor. I have owned several Sako rifles, and none had this issue, but some people have had issues with new rifles.

This, sounds dirty. A narrow tall glass and pour in some Hoppe’s and put the bolt in to soak. I’m sure there are other cleaners the guys here know of that will work as well.
I like an old tooth brush for brushing it out.
While at it, I’d look online and see how to dismantle the bolt itself. If the ejecter is gummed up the firing pin channel may have gunk as well.

Osky
Old 03-29-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
This, sounds dirty. A narrow tall glass and pour in some Hoppe’s and put the bolt in to soak. I’m sure there are other cleaners the guys here know of that will work as well.
I like an old tooth brush for brushing it out.
While at it, I’d look online and see how to dismantle the bolt itself. If the ejecter is gummed up the firing pin channel may have gunk as well.

Osky
I would not soak the assembled bolt in Hoppes, I would remove the firing pin assembly, and clean everything properly.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;4137089]If it is extracting but not ejecting on the first pull, and not bouncing off the scope, then likely you need to clean it out, at least that as the first step. If it was broken it would not work on the first or second try. Post the video on a hosting site and post the link here. This site does not directly host video.[/https://www.facebook.com/todd.murphy.925/videos/10158211221140030/
Old 03-30-2020, 02:58 AM

I see you posted a link, I however do not have Facebook so can't access it to help out. Perhaps someone who is on FB can have a look at it for you.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM

I tried to see the video, but it says it is not available
Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

Assuming a good extractor grip, the Sako 85 failure to eject can usually be remidied by adjusting the ejector spring tension. Too much hits the scope turret. Not enough leaves the shell it in the action. This is a trial by error process that a good gunsmith will undertake.