Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Tulibee (cisco) tips and tricks?

Anyone on here have a system for targeting tulibee on Alberta lakes? I’ve watched videos online, but I’m wondering if anyone on here has experience with them.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2019, 06:37 PM

Come to sask haha. Few lakes around me are absolutely full of em, can’t keep them off the hook and it gets annoying sometimes haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM

I've seen them mostly 5 to 10ft under the ice over 25 ft. Never really targeted them because I always assumed they were wormy. Moose lake used to have big ones maybe still does. Kehiwin was full of them too.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Default Tulibee

We used to catch the odd one through the ice at Lesser Slave. If I remember right, we caught them mostly on blue jigging raps while walleye fishing.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 PM

I'd suggest the majority of people have caught them, and thought they were whites.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'd suggest the majority of people have caught them, and thought they were whites.
true story. not a whole lot of difference to most peoples eyes.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Marie lake (beside Cold lake) has some. caught some 5-6 years ago while targeting whitefish.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 PM

And I don't think tulibee is not much different from whitefish. Tulibee is way smaller than whitefish, most just weigh less than 0.5 pound. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:55 AM

Mouth is lower on tullibee,points down more
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Default Tulibee

We caught a few at Slave one winter. We were staying in the cabins at Shaw’s Point. There happened to be a couple a hula hoops left there by some kids that we found under one of the bunks. After supper and at few happy pops, we had a pretty good game of lawn darts using frozen tulibee and the hoops. All was not lost though. We ended up taking the tulibee home and smoking them. They were very good eating done that way.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:16 AM

They have some in Crawling Valley. They are a white fish so you use the same techs. Most often in the 30 plus FOW but suspended in the 15 to 20 ft. range

Caught a few over the yrs but always thought they were whites.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Slave does have them and they seem to like small spoons when jigged off bottom. We have always put them back as I have heard they are wormy? Never have cleaned one though.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:58 PM

We used to catch quite a few of what we thought were Tulibee in the Peace River. Thinking back (a long time) I believe they were Northern Pike Minnows (Squawfish).
Old 12-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
We used to catch quite a few of what we thought were Tulibee in the Peace River. Thinking back (a long time) I believe they were Northern Pike Minnows (Squawfish).
I am pretty sure Northern pike minnow are only on the west side of the Rockies. Dead give away is they have a big mouth and it’s not down turned with a pike minnow.

I could be wrong and it would not be the first time in my life
Old 12-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Pulled a couple good picks.

Tullibee

Whitefish

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-19-2019, 04:15 PM

If you ever get a chance to do a side by side fish fry ……… there's a HUGE difference in the quality of meat. The Tullibee is very soft and mushy compared to a white.

I'm not a fan of either to be honest. rather eat a cold water pike any day of the week.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I am pretty sure Northern pike minnow are only on the west side of the Rockies. Dead give away is they have a big mouth and it’s not down turned with a pike minnow.

I could be wrong and it would not be the first time in my life
You got me thinking and made me do the google thing. Looks like they are in the entire Peace River system so I'm thinking it's what we called Tulibee when we were young.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eswp/speci...LvpAe?id=18006
Old 12-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Picture of a Northern Pike Minnow. It say world record is 7 Lbs something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern_pikeminnow.jpg (63.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You got me thinking and made me do the google thing. Looks like they are in the entire Peace River system so I'm thinking it's what we called Tulibee when we were young.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eswp/speci...LvpAe?id=18006
And here I thought I was rid of those stinky rubber lip fish moving to Alberta guess I was wrong. Don’t tell my wife I will never admit it lol
Old 12-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Picture of a Northern Pike Minnow. It say world record is 7 Lbs something.
If you ever want to beat the record I know lots of places in BC that you stand a good chance in the summer to catch them 10+lbs. I will have to check with my brother if he has pics of any huge pike minnow he beats 7 lbs most years.

They are a major nuisance and a lot of fishermen feed them to the birds. There is also culls done by government. I used to get my kids, nieces, and nephews to catch them for trapping bait. I bet most don’t even know there is a record for them
Old 12-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
If you ever want to beat the record I know lots of places in BC that you stand a good chance in the summer to catch them 10+lbs. I will have to check with my brother if he has pics of any huge pike minnow he beats 7 lbs most years.

They are a major nuisance and a lot of fishermen feed them to the birds. There is also culls done by government. I used to get my kids, nieces, and nephews to catch them for trapping bait. I bet most don’t even know there is a record for them
Yeah we didn't catch them very frequently, maybe a few in the summer. As far as the record goes, I would never want to deprive your brother of such lofty recognition.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah we didn't catch them very frequently, maybe a few in the summer. As far as the record goes, I would never want to deprive your brother of such lofty recognition.
Probably the predators in the peace keeping the numbers down. In rainbow trout lakes the pike minnow is the apex predator so they explode in population

I told him about the record and he says he will weigh one in if his kids catch it and they are not far from home. He was shocked a record even existed and that it was not way bigger lol
Old 12-20-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I was just thinking the same thing. I have to believe I've caught some up to (and, who knows, maybe over) 7lbs myself ...... never thought to weigh one really.

I had no idea that would constitute anything near a record size catch, or didn't even know they kept records for junk fish.

There's quite a few lakes where a 5lber is not uncommon. Even the kids off the dock were catching some pretty huge pikeminnows probably 4-5 lbs all day long while we sat and watched them.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. I have to believe I've caught some up to (and, who knows, maybe over) 7lbs myself ...... never thought to weigh one really.

I had no idea that would constitute anything near a record size catch, or didn't even know they kept records for junk fish.

There's quite a few lakes where a 5lber is not uncommon. Even the kids off the dock were catching some pretty huge pikeminnows probably 4-5 lbs all day long while we sat and watched them.
Just did some googling. Wikipedia say 7 Lbs 14 ozs out of the Snake River. This says 14 Lbs out of Okanagan Lake. http://www.recordfishcanada.com/nort...ikeminnow.html
Old 12-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Just did some googling. Wikipedia say 7 Lbs 14 ozs out of the Snake River. This says 14 Lbs out of Okanagan Lake. http://www.recordfishcanada.com/nort...ikeminnow.html
14lbs now this is a big pike minnow and not sure if I have seen one that big
Old 12-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Caught a bunch of good-sized tulibee today as well as walleye and perch. Southern Sask. small jigs with meal worms.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Unless you were in the upper reaches of the peace, and not below dunvegan let’s say.... probably flat head Chubb. What location were you catching?
Old 12-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Unless you were in the upper reaches of the peace, and not below dunvegan let’s say.... probably flat head Chubb. What location were you catching?
Caught tons of chub all the time near the town of Peace River. Our favourite bait. These were 18" to 20" fish. Definitely not Chub. I grew up in the town and lived on that river when I was a youngster. The earlier link I posted says that Pike Minnows are in the Peace River system East and West of the Rockies in BC and in Alberta to the Arctic basin.