Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

Also the price of truck camper is crazy and way less space inside.They are scary in a windy situation as well,wobbly on jacks.The upside is that you can enter any province with the truck camper.Personally I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
You will also realize that GVWR is just a BS registration number. Seriously. Take my truck for example. A 2006 Ram 3500 GVWR is 9900lbs. A 2006 Ram 2500 is 9000lbs. The difference between the two trucks - 1 upper overload spring. No difference in axles, transmissions, nothing. So, if one added an upper overload spring to the 2500, is it not now a 3500?
I have to disagree with the registration number being BS..

When you get pulled over and checked, which number do you think they check it against?

I know of many people who have been pulled over, weights checked, and told to park it until it is fixed, basically forced to get it towed.

A LEO does not care that the only difference between a 2500 & 3500 is one leaf on the rear springs, they care about the weight stickers.

I would love to see what an insurance company would say.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

I guess I'll clarify. Its BS from a pure physical truck capability standpoint. You are correct with LEO standpoint and their shortsightedness of looking at the sticker. Aside from a spring, a 2500 vs 3500 is insurance classification and registation classification.

I assume the risks with being pulled over, even with a 3500. But from a truck capability, spring aside, they are the same despite badging***.

sorry, bit of a derail on the OP's thread.

Go truck camper!! be warned. Its small inside. Another thought I had - not all campers can be used off the truck. Mine has a basement, so I am able to use off the truck. Many will need to support the floor and thus will require carrying along sawhorses or other similar styles of support.

***aside from very current Rams with coil 2500 vs spring 3500.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I guess I'll clarify. Its BS from a pure physical truck capability standpoint. You are correct with LEO standpoint and their shortsightedness of looking at the sticker. Aside from a spring, a 2500 vs 3500 is insurance classification and registation classification.

I assume the risks with being pulled over, even with a 3500. But from a truck capability, spring aside, they are the same despite badging***.

sorry, bit of a derail on the OP's thread.
Just making sure people didn't misread your post.

(I do agree with you).
Old 03-03-2016, 03:25 PM

Lots of good info and ideas on the trailer/boat end of it here. I'll keep my comments to the locomotive side of your dilemma.

If you want this truck to be a daily driver, grocery getter, etc., and only plan to do maybe a few short towing trips a year, you'll be fine maxing out a 1/2 ton or a gas 3/4 ton (depending on what you're pulling).

On the other hand, if you want to do a significant number of long trips (think outside the province) and you have something else to use around town, you want a diesel. Some guys are fine with hitting the cruise control and revving their V8 gas engines to 5000 rpm on every little hill. I am not. With a strong diesel, you can chug along in a very relaxed way, pass tankers on a decent grade, and not worry about burning or blowing anything out. Newer trucks are quiet and comfortable, older ones are less so but tend to be extremely reliable. What you end up choosing depends on what's important to you.

To me, it's all about the engine. That's what's going to get you there at the end of the day. Sure, my Dodge is relatively loud, rough, and at risk for some steering issues. I don't really care. It's got the greatest engine ever put in a pickup and it will probably be going 25 years from now. You'll find advocates of the Duramax and Powerstroke motors all over the place, but you haven't towed till you've towed with a Cummins.

Taking this rig 1600 km to Prince Rupert and back almost every summer for the last 5 years has cemented some of my opinions on the subject.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidava25 View Post
If you want this truck to be a daily driver, grocery getter, etc., and only plan to do maybe a few short towing trips a year, you'll be fine maxing out a 1/2 ton or a gas 3/4 ton (depending on what you're pulling).
I've always thought a diesel would be nice to have. Not much to contend with in the way of hills out here in SK but depending where I'm going I do get a little annoyed with the way my truck struggles to maintain speed without kicking down all the time.

Never been much of a diesel guy and always figured they needed to be worked fairly often. Would a diesel actually handle sitting around doing nothing aside from the odd road trip? I might average 8000km a year right now, but 80% of that would be in 3 or 4 trips up north fishing with a couple trips close to home and then some beating around town (which isn't totally needed, I do have a daily driver). Maybe I do need to reconsider going diesel, it would certainly open up my search parameters.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Start drinking last, eh? Good to know.
Tried it the other way around and the results just weren't as good!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

When you get pulled over and checked, which number do you think they check it against?

I know of many people who have been pulled over, weights checked, and told to park it until it is fixed, basically forced to get it towed.

A LEO does not care that the only difference between a 2500 & 3500 is one leaf on the rear springs, they care about the weight stickers.

I would love to see what an insurance company would say.
You are talking commercial regs. The sticker on a door post isn't worth the paper it is printed on here. You can register your 1 ton dodge dually to 15600 gvw commercial.

The ins co doesn't even factor into this

BC is another game altogether
Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I've always thought a diesel would be nice to have. Not much to contend with in the way of hills out here in SK but depending where I'm going I do get a little annoyed with the way my truck struggles to maintain speed without kicking down all the time.

Never been much of a diesel guy and always figured they needed to be worked fairly often. Would a diesel actually handle sitting around doing nothing aside from the odd road trip? I might average 8000km a year right now, but 80% of that would be in 3 or 4 trips up north fishing with a couple trips close to home and then some beating around town (which isn't totally needed, I do have a daily driver). Maybe I do need to reconsider going diesel, it would certainly open up my search parameters.

There is no harm to let a diesel sit. Just make sure the batteries are charged good, the glow plugs take a lot of juice when starting. The only thing about not driving much is you might not run it enough to burn out the summer fuel and freeze up in the winter. But if you fill up in the fall so you have winter fuel in or put conditioner in it will be fine.
I like a diesel they pull nice.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Manitoba rules

Hey guys, last I checked we here in Manitoba could still pull up to 75' total between truck, fifth wheel, and boat. We can't use a gooseneck trailer with an extra trailer though, it has to be a fifth wheel. Any truck registered for 10000lbs or more and tows a trailer requires a higher class driver license, even if for recreational use. Also, the newer dodge 2500 can legally tow a lot more than my old 3500 GMC. We had the truck camper, it has it's advantages, but when we go into the bush to some of the lakes, there is no way it would take the trails or fit under the trees. We now tow a 5th wheel into a campground, and use the truck and boat to lake hop. We like the 5th wheel comfort, awning does not have to be folded up, water and electric stays plugged in, dishes can stay on the table, and pillow top beds. The lake campground we frequent in the United States does not have overnight parking for boats, plus I wouldn't want to leave it unattended, so we always need to launch the boat. The truck camper we had was fairly light, but it used just as much gas as the 19' single axle 5th wheel we replaced it with. As far as us having a 3500 series truck, we have 2 1500 series trucks for everyday driving, the 3500 is for recreational use. If you go with a light 26' 5th wheel with a 13' slideout (you will have a lot of room), and tow a small aluminum boat with a short tongue hitch(16' boat), you can still use a crewcab longbox and stay under 65' total length, and depending on what you buy, you should be able to keep the total trailer weights under 10000lbs. With the longbox, I have my kingpin set ahead of the rear axle, just far enough that I can still hook up at 90 degrees to the trailer. One thing I did find was money well spent, was buying a B&W companion hitch, which when removed leaves no rails in your truck box for hauling other items. One thing I have seen but not tried, is guys attaching water noodles to their boat trailer s so they can watch what the trailer is doing. As far as towing, my biggest problem is backing up in a straight line, backing into campsites with two trailers is not as bad. I'm biased for the 5th wheel setup, but I also don't travel into BC.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post

Well worth it in my opinion. As the other gent said, just make sure you've got fresh fuel in it before serious freeze-up.

Try for something that's from 2003 or newer, and not newer than 2010 or so. That should put you in a clean-burning truck without too much of the emission-control garbage.
Don't get too sucked into the power-adding scene unless you're willing to spend some serious money. There is room for improvement on most trucks but if you let it go too far you'll find yourself dropping 8 grand at a transmission shop and that's when you start revisiting your priority list. Guess how I know...
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

Dodge diesel, aluminum sportjet, wall tent, you're welcome.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joholio View Post
Dodge diesel, aluminum sportjet, wall tent, you're welcome.
For the WIN
Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 PM

Why get a truck and camper when you can get a nice motor home for half the price? And you'll have a lot more comfort in there too.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidava25 View Post
Lots of good info and ideas on the trailer/boat end of it here. I'll keep my comments to the locomotive side of your dilemma.

On the other hand, if you want to do a significant number of long trips (think outside the province) and you have something else to use around town, you want a diesel. Some guys are fine with hitting the cruise control and revving their V8 gas engines to 5000 rpm on every little hill. I am not. With a strong diesel, you can chug along in a very relaxed way, pass tankers on a decent grade, and not worry about burning or blowing anything out. Newer trucks are quiet and comfortable, older ones are less so but tend to be extremely reliable. What you end up choosing depends on what's important to you.

To me, it's all about the engine. That's what's going to get you there at the end of the day. Sure, my Dodge is relatively loud, rough, and at risk for some steering issues. I don't really care. It's got the greatest engine ever put in a pickup and it will probably be going 25 years from now. You'll find advocates of the Duramax and Powerstroke motors all over the place, but you haven't towed till you've towed with a Cummins.

Taking this rig 1600 km to Prince Rupert and back almost every summer for the last 5 years has cemented some of my opinions on the subject.
By far the worst advice here. The engine is the last thing to worry about. Proper payload of the vehicle. brakeing abilities, steering.

Not what the thread is about. But just a terrible thing to say. There are benefits to a diesel no question. They are great for towing. Get a truck that can handle the load is by far number one. Having lots of power to drive like a maniac with the Saskatchewan Super Bee is number two

Last edited by BobNewton; 03-03-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
There is no harm to let a diesel sit. Just make sure the batteries are charged good, the glow plugs take a lot of juice when starting. The only thing about not driving much is you might not run it enough to burn out the summer fuel and freeze up in the winter. But if you fill up in the fall so you have winter fuel in or put conditioner in it will be fine.
I like a diesel they pull nice.
Don't know where you guys are but in Alberta (Edmonton area anyway) the refineries switch fuel by the calendar not weather. They start working toward winter fuel, I think, mid September but full on winter diesel isn't at the pumps till November 15. Something to keep in mind for that winter top up.

I didn't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned already. If there is any thought of going to B.C. you must pay attention to the gvw sticker on the truck, that includes campers as well as trailers. What I am told in Alberta is they look at the rating on the tires. Of course you must be under your licenced weight as well. Does Sask still allow two bumper pulls?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 PM

We used to have a camper with the boat behind, we always unloaded the camper in the camp site so we had the truck to put the boat in or go to town. Once we bought a 5th wheel and pulled tandem its the only way I would go, been pulling like that for about 13 years. I was using Dodge 2500 diesel, I bought a 2016 Ford 350 diesel last fall so I haven't hooked up the train yet. Full legal length in Alberta is 65ft, I'm at 72ft but haven't had any problems with the DOT's yet. Knocking on wood. Good luck and have fun spending, probably some good deals this spring.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM

I do it this way

Towing regs. for all provinces...
http://www.rvda.ca/ProvRVRegs.asp
Who says you can't take all with you?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenStone74 View Post
Buy at least a 2500 truck, towing capacity for chevy went from 8800lbs (1500) to 13,000lbs (2500). I can't imagine pulling a b-train personally. I'd rather the camper/boat combo.
x2
Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Banned

I've had motor homes and bumper pull campers, I now have a 2500 and a fifth wheel camper. The motor home was good if you wanted to stay somewhere with out going for a little drive to do some sight seeing and don't even bother driving into banff with it and the novelty of driving a big manly unit wears off quickly. The bumper pulls I've had were just outright dangerous on the road. After pulling a fifth wheel I'll never go back. 2500 and a fifth wheel is my favorite, If the fifth wheel is your choice they make some real nice light weight trailers these days and if it is something you intend on using frequently you won't regret spending a bit more if you use it as much as I use mine, 8 months most every weekend last year. And you really can't beat some of the sales on right now. Do your research well before making a purchase that has everything your looking for, that way you will never regret spending the money. My rig including camper is almost in the six figure mark, both are paid for and when this economy turns around I'm going to buy me a Subaru and park the rig for camping and hualing only.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 PM

If your buying a truck and spending the money I would just spend the bit extra and get a one ton. The ride will be close to the same . In the end weight numbers is what you want ( towing, payloads). Especially buying it for a camper. You will want high payload numbers. My dad says my f350 rides nicer then his dodge 2500 and he's a dodge guy.

I do the B train thing as I can't see messing around with loading and unloading a camper if I want to go somewhere or hauling the thing around to launch the boat, or to go drive to a hiking location etcetera.... I also like to be able to put firewood and stuff in the box ( what's left of it).

If your comfortable with towing id do the B train system. Its not much different then one trailer. Just have to be more aware when passing, lane changes, corners bla bla.... Picking bigger parking stalls or gas stations with bigger stalls... and most of the time i just drop the boat at the launch and then park my rv. Then go back and put my boat where I want it if it isn't already...

If your Not Comfortable towing then don't B train. Go camper setup

I have done the half ton thing and skipped the 3/4. The half ton did very well. But needed air bags as low payload numbers and overloaded.....and in the wind it was redline city (gas job).

New set up
Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Don't know where you guys are but in Alberta (Edmonton area anyway) the refineries switch fuel by the calendar not weather. They start working toward winter fuel, I think, mid September but full on winter diesel isn't at the pumps till November 15. Something to keep in mind for that winter top up.

I didn't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned already. If there is any thought of going to B.C. you must pay attention to the gvw sticker on the truck, that includes campers as well as trailers. What I am told in Alberta is they look at the rating on the tires. Of course you must be under your licenced weight as well. Does Sask still allow two bumper pulls?

That what is was saying. But if he doesn't drive enough he might have a tank from August left over into November.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Yes, which is scary as hell..
Old 03-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post

New set up
Can you back up with a B train?
I tow a 30 foot conventional and I can literally parallel park that thing, or back into a side road in order to do a U turn. How the heck do you do that with a b train?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
I tow a 30 foot conventional and I can literally parallel park that thing, or back into a side road in order to do a U turn. How the heck do you do that with a b train?
this is part of the "planning ahead" I mentioned.It is a tough thing to do as you can't see the boat until its too late.I have only had I issue where I got into a bind and had to turn around,fortunately I am strong enough to pick up my boat hitch and turn it around. This was only once and I burned 4 sets of tires off the 5th wheel to give you an idea how much fishing we did in the 7 yrs I had that set up.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Depends on the driver (and setup), a friend of ours does the b-train thing, similar to what calgarysledguy does, but his 5er is shorter, and boat is longer, and he can back that thing up anywhere, probably not parallel park, but he's backed it into some tight campspots, then unhooked the boat.

I think if you have a short 2nd trailer, it makes it harder.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:53 AM

I run a 3/4ton with truck camper and boat.

If you go the camper route, spend the time to buy the lightest camper you can afford for your package. The first camper I owned was an older one and it was a heavy pig (even tho it was only 8.5'). It worked, but I never felt like it was a safe option to have a top heavy rig flying town the highway. I eventually got rid of that one and bought a slightly newer 8.5' camper that was 1000lbs lighter (dry) and it made all the difference in the world.

Also, don't skimp on tie downs. Spend the $700 and buy the Tork Lift tie downs, they are the best. I've had a couple other brands and they don't work nearly as well.

If I had the extra cash I would buy an ultra lite pop-up camper. They weigh only 7-800lbs dry and are low profile when driving. But you sacrifice a few creature comforts with them.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
By far the worst advice here. The engine is the last thing to worry about. Proper payload of the vehicle. brakeing abilities, steering.

Not what the thread is about. But just a terrible thing to say. There are benefits to a diesel no question. They are great for towing. Get a truck that can handle the load is by far number one. Having lots of power to drive like a maniac with the Saskatchewan Super Bee is number two

Thanks for your input.
For one thing, I said "TO ME, it's all about the engine." For you it obviously is not, and for the OP it may not be either and that's fine. I've got enough miles behind me not to be too concerned about what others think is important. I'm simply sharing what I've learned through experience.
Also, I don't think I suggested "driving like a maniac", but rather praised the ability of a Diesel engine to comfortably pull loads without an inordinate amount of stress.
Buy what you want, OP. And when you're done wheezing up a grade with the latest and greatest gas job, let us know what you think.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yes you can back up with B train. But it's much easier if you don't have to. Most of the time I just drop the second trailer in a open area and park the first one,go back for the second.

I have been practicing backing up both if I have time or an open area where I don't have people pressure or holding people up. I one day hope to be able to launch the boat with both trailers hooked up. (Im sure i can already just dont like holding people up)I can back two up better than some guys with one trailer. Judging people from campgrounds. Lol.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Depends on the driver (and setup), a friend of ours does the b-train thing, similar to what calgarysledguy does, but his 5er is shorter, and boat is longer, and he can back that thing up anywhere, probably not parallel park, but he's backed it into some tight campspots, then unhooked the boat.

I think if you have a short 2nd trailer, it makes it harder.
Haha...that I gotta see. So...with the second trailer on there now, does that mean your steering wheel is back to "normal" direction?
What I mean: when reversing in your truck and you want to go right, you turn the steering wheel right. With a trailer on, you first turn the wheel LEFT...then back to RIGHT once the trailer pivots.
With a SECOND trailer on there..how do you start...first turn left...then right...then left again..???? Or is it RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT?!! AAAGH!!!!