Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 12:25 PM

Default Frostbite Rods

I was thinking about ordering a couple of Frostbite Rods for Lakers. I would for sure want the rods with the reel seat. I have a hard time taping a reel to a rod. I've heard rumors' that the guides have issues being they are made of an in-expensive stainless steel. Can anyone who has a Frost Bite rod please comment on this or give a review of the rods. Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2022, 12:40 PM

depends which series you get. The higher end one would be titanium recoil guides. Quite nice but not necessary imo I have 3 rods with recoil guides and I honestly dont see the need for it unless you fish outside only.

The lower end ones are the stainless steel guides. Not too bad though. Still a decent price.

If it was me and I wanted a dedicated rod for outside of a shack. I would buy the Run N Gun.
If it was a jawjacker/deadstick rod I would do the Fiberglass Dump Truck.
In the tent jigging rod I would use the Mr. Big. Still kinda long for a tent. (i would still use this for run N gun outside forsure though)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2022, 02:22 PM

Clayton Schick uses frostbite rods for Lakers and does well with them. Also Weavster on this forum makes custom rods that will be good quality.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM

surprisingly this Clam outdoors Jason Mitchell Mack series is actually very good for the price.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11231...k-spinning-rod

Solid and well made for the cost.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2022, 04:47 PM

I use the heavy dump truck for Lakers. The rod itself is great. Loads up well, handles well. I wish I would have got the longer handle extension option. I caught a few this weekend in deep deep water and I was getting sore without being able to brace it on the forearm. I am getting old and soft, but the extensions are game changers for the long fights.

I also just got the entry level rod. Not the expensive one.

Ill likely order more eventually with the extensions.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I use the heavy dump truck for Lakers. The rod itself is great. Loads up well, handles well. I wish I would have got the longer handle extension option. I caught a few this weekend in deep deep water and I was getting sore without being able to brace it on the forearm. I am getting old and soft, but the extensions are game changers for the long fights.

I also just got the entry level rod. Not the expensive one.

Ill likely order more eventually with the extensions.
Can always just switch it on your current rod. The extensions just screw on you can just order whatever length you want and swap it on your existing twilight series rods.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:45 PM

Matt makes a great laker rod ,love mine
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 PM

I have the Frostbite Mr. Big and have been happy with it. First one I ordered arrived with some defects but the frostbite staff were quick to respond to my emails regarding a return and express shipped me a replacement. I also have a 40” MH Haat rod and it’s a really nice rod but almost twice the price of the Frostbite base models. Fenwick elite tech ice 43” MH is the best value in a rod I’ve found. I got mine from Cabelas for $45.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 PM

I have a Mr. Big. I'm not overly impressed with the construction quality of it. I do think that the Fenwick's I have are better designed rods (except the guides are too small). I will likely still try another Frostbite or two though.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
surprisingly this Clam outdoors Jason Mitchell Mack series is actually very good for the price.

I got the baitcaster mh and Im hoping to see what it does against some Cold Lake monsters!! Seems very well built. Originally thought it was damaged during shipping but then I realized that the guides are spiraled on purpose. Have managed some fair sized pike already with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

Have this one also nice rod
Old 01-29-2022, 07:51 PM

Gotta say I'm not too impressed with the quality of these Frostbite rods. I ordered two Mr Bigs in the Twilight series for Lakers. This series comes with a reel seat and stainless steel guides. I'm not a fan of the tape a reel to the rod . One of the two rods showed up with the tip guide broken(repaired guide myself). The construction quality is poor and rough least to say. On both rods various guides are crooked . I know its only a $80 rod. But with all the FrostBite hype you would think Aaron and Alex would put out a better quality controlled product. Time will tell how these rods function.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Gotta say I'm not too impressed with the quality of these Frostbite rods. I ordered two Mr Bigs in the Twilight series for Lakers. This series comes with a reel seat and stainless steel guides. I'm not a fan of the tape a reel to the rod . One of the two rods showed up with the tip guide broken(repaired guide myself). The construction quality is poor and rough least to say. On both rods various guides are crooked . I know its only a $80 rod. But with all the FrostBite hype you would think Aaron and Alex would put out a better quality controlled product. Time will tell how these rods function.
Sponsorships make people say and do crazy things....if you pulled one pro aside after their careers and asked them or watched what they personally use then you get the truth.

Gotta pay the bills somehow and viewers fall into traps so easy.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2022, 06:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yup....got one of his pike/musky rods....great quality and tuff as nails.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I second that. My Weaver Screamer ice rod is built solid with high end components with detail to match. Love that rod . Mats a master rod builder that's passionate about his work. The workmanship and quality shows it.

I'm not impressed what so ever with the quality of the FrostBite rods . Its too bad I love to support local Canadian guys.... Lesson learned.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 01-30-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sponsorships make people say and do crazy things....if you pulled one pro aside after their careers and asked them or watched what they personally use then you get the truth.

Well said 58thecat . Their couldn't be a truer statement than that.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
They don't call them "influencers" for nothing.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:16 AM

I have 5 different frostbite rods and have gotten a refund on 3 of them due to broken tips. Broke a tip off a fourth one as well but that was completely user error.
One of them is the Mr. Big but can't really give much of a performance review as my boy has claimed it lol. Seems to work really well though and he likes it a lot.
Ordered a few rod tips off Mudhole that fit perfectly and they are all still in use. One of the tips was reusable and no issues with any of the rods since being repaired. It almost seems like something in the manufacturing process weakened them.
Conundrum for me is even after having to repair I really like them over most of my other rods. Decided I'll give it a season or two and maybe try them again. Aaron Wiebe had a video out a while back admitting to some issues they have had hopefully they get it figured out.