Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Default Pickling small perch - has anyone tried it?

Saw a few pickling recipes online and was wondering with all these stunted perch lakes around… is there a chance pickling you limit would make for a tasty alternative to putting them back to not grow or disposing of them elsewhere?

Legally you can’t waste sport fish… so what options are there to eat perch 3-6 inch long?

Pickling could be an option.

Anyone pickle perch? If so what is a good recipe? Any challenges? What is the taste like?

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/a...kled-fish.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-25-2022, 10:48 AM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/recipe-h...northern-pike/

I pickle pike and walleye with this recipe. it tastes like the store-bought herring. I can't see why perch wouldn't taste good this way.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:06 PM

I will have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:12 PM

I always thought this would actually be worth a try with 6 inch perch, scaled but left whole. Probably way better than pickled herring. I did walleye like this and it was really good and added lemon peel when I jarred it..
Old 01-25-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I will have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
I always thought this would actually be worth a try with 6 inch perch, scaled but left whole. Probably way better than pickled herring. I did walleye like this and it was really good and added lemon peel when I jarred it..

I’m thinking of cleaning them like this then pickling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-25-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

That’s how we used to clean perch when I was a kid back in Ontario.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:51 PM

K; that's exactly how we used to clean them many years ago, but they were 8" or generally bigger.

I have pickled many perch, just use a simple brine, bit of white sugar and put onion slices in the jar. Also you can vary a bit with some pickling spice in the odd jar, but not too much. We used to use the old relish / mustard BIG glass jars (114 fl. oz.?) , refrigerate for about a week or so n enjoy.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:

That's a handy trick right there!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:12 PM

Default How about canning them?

I bought a pressure canner a few years ago. My main reason for this was to try canning pike. I am always disappointed in the amount of meat that is left behind by filleting and deboning them. I ended up cutting the fillets off the pike and removed the skin. I then filled mason jars with the boney pike meat. After the pressure canning process the bones are visible but they turn to mush as soon as you touch them. exactly like what you see in a tin of canned salmon. I added mayo, green onion and celery to the canned pike meat and made sandwiches with it. Surprisingly, the canned pike tastes very similar to tuna. I can't see why this wouldn't work with a pile of tiny perch. Just fillet, remove the skins, and can away. If anyone tries this, just make sure you are using a pressure canner and not an instant pot as the pressure required to safely can the fish is way higher than what an instant pot can reach (15 Psi for high altitude). Once I had success with the pike, I tried canned moose and elk stew. Both turned out great
Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 PM
Banned

Default Inedible

No, never tried that. But I did eat a pickle one time while targeting perch. Then I tried to get pickled while my pal drove us home afterwards. Then I was in a pickle when I arrived home and fell onto the driveweay. Pickled. And no pikeral. Or perch.

Free
Old 01-29-2022, 11:30 AM

I cant see why you couldnt pickle them,all id do is remove the head and brine them for about 16 hours and then pickle em. like you would herring.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
No, never tried that. But I did eat a pickle one time while targeting perch. Then I tried to get pickled while my pal drove us home afterwards. Then I was in a pickle when I arrived home and fell onto the driveweay. Pickled. And no pikeral. Or perch.

Free
We all want to know.

Did your fishing buddy pickle you?
Old 01-29-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I cant see why you couldnt pickle them,all id do is remove the head and brine them for about 16 hours and then pickle em. like you would herring.
I’m wondering if one should pickle them with skin on or off. I’m thinking off would look more appealing.

Maybe better texture also.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
We all want to know.

Did your fishing buddy pickle you?
NO. He was the wheel man. He liked a good cigar.I had the single malt but the flask was a bit small.

Free :-)
Old 01-30-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I’m wondering if one should pickle them with skin on or off. I’m thinking off would look more appealing.

Maybe better texture also.
Thats how i pickle herring skin on,no problem. it keeps the finish product a bit firmer as well and better tasting in my opinion.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Saw a few pickling recipes online and was wondering with all these stunted perch lakes around… is there a chance pickling you limit would make for a tasty alternative to putting them back to not grow or disposing of them elsewhere?

Legally you can’t waste sport fish… so what options are there to eat perch 3-6 inch long?

Pickling could be an option.

Anyone pickle perch? If so what is a good recipe? Any challenges? What is the taste like?

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/a...kled-fish.html

Why would you keep fish this size??? Or, do they not get any bigger than this?