Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Cabela’s EZ drill

Cabela’s has these on sale. Is anybody here using one? Looking for feedback…
I have several Milwaukee M18 fuel drills for powering it.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:45 AM

I bought one also. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to. I bought it for an extra auger for my ION X 5A/H. It's 2 lbs lighter than an ION 8" auger. I'll be using it this coming week for sure.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 PM

I got mine yesterday, went out today and was able to drill 5 holes. With a Makita 18v and a 3ah batt the ice was 27-30".. it cut really fast and the holes were nice and clean.

Al
Old 01-16-2022, 10:17 PM

It's basically same as the woods eze drill from CT, but woods has a much better drill adapter, it also prevent it falling into the lake.
I bought a eze drill from cabela's last year won't cut the ice, this year I installed a woods auger blades and the drill adapter, paired with a dewalt drill, it cuts smooth and quick. For the price I should have just bought the CT one.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 12:20 AM

I’m pretty sure The eze drill and the woods drill is made by ht enterprise. It looks nearly identical to the HT E drill.

Many reports of the eze drill from cabelas experiencing blades breaking where the screw hole is. Also happened to a friends eze drill after one season of use.

There is a YouTube video with someone that installed pistol bit blades on his cabelas e z drill and apparently it fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-17-2022, 08:44 AM

JSAUTO - how do you find the Dewalt xr for drilling? What Amp Hr battery are you using?

Old 01-17-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
JSAUTO - how do you find the Dewalt xr for drilling? What Amp Hr battery are you using?

The model should be DCD996. with 5 ah battery. I bought the drill and 2 battery combo for around $240 few weeks ago from Lowe's, it's on clearance.
It has no trouble go through the ice so far. With the 8 inch eze drill. Drilled 8 holes yesterday at coal lake, the battery still shows full.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I’m pretty sure The eze drill and the woods drill is made by ht enterprise. It looks nearly identical to the HT E drill.

Many reports of the eze drill from cabelas experiencing blades breaking where the screw hole is. Also happened to a friends eze drill after one season of use.

There is a YouTube video with someone that installed pistol bit blades on his cabelas e z drill and apparently it fits.

The main difference between the EZE and the Woods drill is the attachment. The Woods is far superior IMO as it has a fixed handle as opposed to the EZE which rotates independently of the drill, I purchased the Woods this year and it's great! To each his own but IMO the Woods is better.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
The main difference between the EZE and the Woods drill is the attachment. The Woods is far superior IMO as it has a fixed handle as opposed to the EZE which rotates independently of the drill, I purchased the Woods this year and it's great! To each his own but IMO the Woods is better.

Yea I like the woods drill attachment forsure!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-18-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAUTO View Post
It's basically same as the woods eze drill from CT, but woods has a much better drill adapter, it also prevent it falling into the lake.
I bought a eze drill from cabela's last year won't cut the ice, this year I installed a woods auger blades and the drill adapter, paired with a dewalt drill, it cuts smooth and quick. For the price I should have just bought the CT one.

I have the exact same setup, and its deadly, went through 16" of ice last weekend in a few seconds no problem.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:13 PM

Good to know the dewalt will work. I have the same drill so that will save a few bucks eventually.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoA7 View Post
I got mine yesterday, went out today and was able to drill 5 holes. With a Makita 18v and a 3ah batt the ice was 27-30".. it cut really fast and the holes were nice and clean.

Al

Where are you located? That’s a ton of ice

Old 01-19-2022, 11:13 AM
Gone Hunting

I looked at EZ drill but after reading reviews I"ve got Jiffy Torch with a ripper blade this last Friday from the Fishin Hole in Calgary. I have an Extention for my gas Jiffy and spare blades, and Torch has
the plastic shield that prevented it from going down the hole this past weekend.

I used a compact DeWalt drill but is not strong enough. We still managed to drill 11 holes of 24 " ice on one 5 AH battery but we had to let the drill rest after a couple of holes.
So ...I am waiting for the DeWalt DCD999B hammer drill from Amazon.ca for a total of 270.09.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAUTO View Post
The model should be DCD996. with 5 ah battery. I bought the drill and 2 battery combo for around $240 few weeks ago from Lowe's, it's on clearance.
That is an excellent price. Two 5 AH batteries alone are about 170 C$.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 01-19-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
I looked at EZ drill but after reading reviews I"ve got Jiffy Torch with a ripper blade this last Friday from the Fishin Hole in Calgary. I have an Extention for my gas Jiffy and spare blades, and Torch has
the plastic shield that prevented it from going down the hole this past weekend.

I used a compact DeWalt drill but is not strong enough. We still managed to drill 11 holes of 24 " ice on one 5 AH battery but we had to let the drill rest after a couple of holes.
So ...I am waiting for the DeWalt DCD999B hammer drill from Amazon.ca for a total of 270.09.
damn only being able to drill 264" of ice and having to rest the auger after 2 holes is rough. I was able to do 540" straight with with a 6ah flexvolt on the DCD999 with no rest. Try upgrading the battery since the torch is so demanding. I'm pretty sure the dcd999 with only the 5ah will still die fast.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-19-2022, 11:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
damn only being able to drill 264" of ice and having to rest the auger after 2 holes is rough. I was able to do 540" straight with with a 6ah flexvolt on the DCD999 with no rest. Try upgrading the battery since the torch is so demanding. I'm pretty sure the dcd999 with only the 5ah will still die fast.
I will wait for a new Drill and try again. I have 2 5AH Batteries already.
The drill is ready for Flexvolt so I might get one bigger down the road.
Thanks.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 01-19-2022, 01:21 PM

For those looking to save a few $$$, you can buy the dc991 which has the same motor as the dc996 but without the hammer function.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs down

I've got my DCD999 yesterday.
Made in China now...
The battery connector is loose and bend on one side.
The switch above trigger is not solid ... I am sending it back
It says Manufacturer: Dewalt US.

The seller accepted the return request so all is good. Just PITA.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 AM

The tool alone is not worth buying. I suggest buying the entire combo which includes a battery

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dew...bag/1001553486

buy this dcd999 combo which includes the 6ah flexvolt and resell the impact driver and 2ah battery. For atleast 100 to 140 dollars minimum and you come out on top.

Thats my life hack. Buying a drill alone for 250 and no battery is just so expensive. So the cabelas auger and drill will only come out to 460 haha cheapest good auger.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-20-2022, 09:56 AM

Bought a Milwaukee 2803-20 M18 Fuel 1/2" Drill/Driver (Bare Tool)-Peak Torque = 1,200 in-lbs for a crazy $138 from Amazon a couple days ago. Today the price is in the vicinity of $300 for that drill. I'm a Milwaukee tool guy and already have chargers and batteries. Have a couple of 5 a/h batteries but then I went shopping on Ali Express and bought a 9 a/h battery for $60 I've bought the knockoff batteries before and years later they are holding up as good as the OEM batteries.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:15 AM

I've been following this thread closely, as I am hoping to get into ice fishing. Had been looking at the electric augers, used a buddy of mine's Ion last year, and no doubt, it is very nice, but in the $800-1000 range my wife is asking "how much ice fishing are you actually going to do?"

I don't need to drill 200 holes in a day. I ain't into that kind of fishing. Following this thread, if I can buy a good drill, I can be in the electric auger game for 500 bucks. I can pack up my little hibachi and some venison smokies, and bugger off to a lake so I am out of the damn city. I gotta get out of this city soon or I'm goin to lose it.

and wife happy too.

But I am getting anxious about the drill I buy. Can I buy any of the hammer drills (dewalt, Milwaukee, makita) the first one I find on sale?

Is it that critical which drill I buy? 996, 991 M18.....? I was going to go with the Wood's auger as I like the look of the drill attachment thingy on it.

Gentlemen, I need a consensus opinion here.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:15 AM

Can't have too many options lol

Cabelas ez drill mounted on an ION powerhead

Last edited by CNP; 01-20-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
I've been following this thread closely, as I am hoping to get into ice fishing. Had been looking at the electric augers, used a buddy of mine's Ion last year, and no doubt, it is very nice, but in the $800-1000 range my wife is asking "how much ice fishing are you actually going to do?"

I don't need to drill 200 holes in a day. I ain't into that kind of fishing. Following this thread, if I can buy a good drill, I can be in the electric auger game for 500 bucks. I can pack up my little hibachi and some venison smokies, and bugger off to a lake so I am out of the damn city. I gotta get out of this city soon or I'm goin to lose it.

and wife happy too.

But I am getting anxious about the drill I buy. Can I buy any of the hammer drills (dewalt, Milwaukee, makita) the first one I find on sale?

Is it that critical which drill I buy? 996, 991 M18.....? I was going to go with the Wood's auger as I like the look of the drill attachment thingy on it.

You don't need a hammer drill and if you get a hammer drill do not use the hammer selection. Just use the drill selection. Torque is the big issue. Do not buy a drill with 500 in/lbs torque as it is not enough. I'd suggest 750 in/lbs at a minimum. And nothing smaller than a 5 a/h battery. All the manufacturers you mentioned are good................Rigid too. I use Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:

and wife happy too.

Any flagship brushless drill will work. make sure its 5ah or higher. I find if auger blade design and efficiency is more important then the brand of drill. I do have some drill/auger test videos which will give you an idea of what you're looking for.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-20-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:

and wife happy too.

DC991 + 5AH + Woods E-drill, you will never get consensus from all of us on this, but that is in my opinion a fairly cheap and solid option, it is exactly what i have and it has not let me down yet, the only thing i will add to my setup is an 8AH battery in the future but it is purely for peace of mind.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The tool alone is not worth buying. I suggest buying the entire combo which includes a battery

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dew...bag/1001553486

buy this dcd999 combo which includes the 6ah flexvolt and resell the impact driver and 2ah battery. For atleast 100 to 140 dollars minimum and you come out on top.
Thanks for the heads up on this deal. Looks like this charger is a 6 AH matching Flexvolt battery.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 01-20-2022, 01:23 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FdTEU-H4g0&t=835s
No affiliation with this review but it's pretty thorough.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FdTEU-H4g0&t=835s

No affiliation with this review but it's pretty thorough.
Good info

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2022, 05:31 PM

EZ drill looks like a good deal. I have a Clam, Makita and Normark hand drill all rigged up and it works very well. Only reason I bought the Clam was I had the drill and hand auger and the clam was 50% off. If I was to buy it all separately/ new I think I would buy a gas auger instead, less $$ and more power. Your Milwaukee fuel drills are Cadillac units and will work very well with the EZ drill.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
I've got my DCD999 yesterday.
Made in China now...
The battery connector is loose and bend on one side.
The switch above trigger is not solid ... I am sending it back
It says Manufacturer: Dewalt US.

The seller accepted the return request so all is good. Just PITA.

Dewalt has different "levels of quality" for their tools. The highest end pro grade tools are made in USA. They used to have 4 different lines (last time I looked) and only the top end one was made in the USA.

You typically will not find this line at home depot or other big boxes.

I think Milwaukee is similar with a few product lines like that too.