Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 07:35 PM

Default Sylvan Lake Jan 15th

Was out today got my 5 and dad got his 5 quite a grind though..Saw quite a a few Whites many just swam by not overly aggressive. Started 6 to 8 ft ended up around 10 ft.Great to be outdoors and warm weather had many at the lake.Tried uploading pics not sure why did not work?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterx View Post
Was out today got my 5 and dad got his 5 quite a grind though..Saw quite a a few Whites many just swam by not overly aggressive. Started 6 to 8 ft ended up around 10 ft.Great to be outdoors and warm weather had many at the lake.Tried uploading pics not sure why did not work?

Nice job. I went to Rr23 and only got one on the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2022, 10:07 AM

Default whitey

i have the absolute HARDEST time fishing whites, i go to sylvan often but no luck. fishing for walleye and pike is not an issue. wanting to get better at fishing for whitefish. i have small hooks (wireworms and forage minnow) but just cant seem to do it... HELLLLP lol
Old 01-17-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGiesbrecht View Post
i have the absolute HARDEST time fishing whites, i go to sylvan often but no luck. fishing for walleye and pike is not an issue. wanting to get better at fishing for whitefish. i have small hooks (wireworms and forage minnow) but just cant seem to do it... HELLLLP lol
Try, the smallest size of Wetaskiwin special you can buy in copper/brass pattern. I get mine from the fishing hole online. You can tip one of top hooks with a maggot or maggot imitation. I like to really tighten my knot on it and direct tie it on, so I can get it horizontal. This way, it will give a nice darting action that drives the Sylvan whitefish crazy some days. Twitch the Wetaskiwin like a backswimmer constantly too, even when you see the fish come in.
I will also tie a wireworm 10" above the wetaskewin. Got that trick from Zip n Z. Late in the season I catch half my fish on the wire worm tied above. Another thing that has worked for me is to not use a camera but sight fish or use a flasher instead. Some cameras seem to spook them.

I fish in less than 12ft too until about late morning, then will move out to 15+fow. When the burnout spawn is on, I will often find them in 20+ fow after late morning.

For wire worm patterns, there is a great thread dedicated to it. I think it's called wire worms for whitefish. You can also look at last season's and this season's Sylvan Lake reports thread for more tips. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:22 PM
Banned

I'm heading out there for the first time on Thursday, where do guys access the lake. Thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
I'm heading out there for the first time on Thursday, where do guys access the lake. Thanks
Access is good at Norglenwold and at RR23
Old 01-24-2022, 04:58 PM

Hoping to head to Sylvan on the weekend with my daughter. I've only ever accessed it via RR23 south and I know there is a porta-potty at that access point, but does anyone know of the bathroom situation at the other access points? If it was just me I wouldn't worry but with my kid I want to ensure I have a viable option for her.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsinairdrie View Post
Hoping to head to Sylvan on the weekend with my daughter. I've only ever accessed it via RR23 south and I know there is a porta-potty at that access point, but does anyone know of the bathroom situation at the other access points? If it was just me I wouldn't worry but with my kid I want to ensure I have a viable option for her.
That porta potty is full, frozen and disgusting. I had to go so I did.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:07 PM

Sorry have been to Palm Bay and Sunbreaker no bathroom there.I have young daughter as well had to go to Canadian Tire bought one of those Porta potties works great and I put in when travel around in back of truck.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
That porta potty is full, frozen and disgusting. I had to go so I did.
Exactly why I'd like to find an alternate access point with a better option for my kid
Old 01-24-2022, 07:10 PM

Not sure where may have one.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry have been to Palm Bay and Sunbreaker no bathroom there.I have young daughter as well had to go to Canadian Tire bought one of those Porta potties works great and I put in when travel around in back of truck.

This is the street view at Sunbreaker. Are those bathrooms open this time of year?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 PM

Not exactly sure would just call Lacombe County office and ask them they are who run them.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Not exactly sure would just call Lacombe County office and ask them they are who run them.
I confirmed with the county that they are open year round. So Sunbreaker cove is an option for those who want a nearby washroom.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:45 PM

Can anyone tell me what the surface of the ice is like right now? Clear Shiny ice? Thin crusted snow layer? Covered in Snow?

May travel there tomorrow and my kids like to pull each other around on sleds with the quad if there is snow during a mid day lull. Doesn't work that well if its naked ice.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2022, 08:12 PM

Was out last Saturday was snow covered there were many quads and sleds around lake should be no problem will probably have many fisherman tomorrow nice weather.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:18 PM

How much snow is on the lake? Can you drive on the lake or have to sled in from the shore? Hope to go out on Saturday.
Last question, I tried to buy maggots at Calgary FH today, but they were out. Any place on the south shore of Sylvan?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2022, 07:40 PM

I will be honest I never use maggots ever.I have success with just the w/w.Start shallow early and move deeper later in morning. Your choice what to use but do not panic if you do not find any.As for snow no problem driving out.

Happy Fishing