Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 02:53 PM

Default Motor Guide Quick Release Bracket

Problem I have vs my old Minn Kota is no way to lock the motor onto the bracket. It has a spot where the shaft goes in but no pad lock is ever going to fit in such a limited space.

Anyone figure out how to some how lock it so you don't have to be removing the motor. I ask because one fella had his stolen while running into Tims to pic up a coffee. Just had to pull the quick release shaft and gone with the motor.

I could use those tiny suit case locks but seems like a good strong pair of pliers and they are gone.

Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2022, 03:40 PM

Yeah I put one of those little travel locks on but I never leave my motor out of sight for too long. Im hoping at least its a little bit if a visual deterrent. Im hoping for a better eay also.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2022, 09:38 PM

can you bolt it to your boat. my minn kotas are bolted to the boats
Old 01-27-2022, 10:28 AM

Not sure what the difference in design or aluminum extrusion profile looks like on the Motor Guide compared to a MinnKota but maybe you could drill a hole through and add a pad lock? I know my quick release bracket on my MinnKota allows for a decent sized lock on there to prevent the release lever from unlocking the motor from base.

Some of the older ones can also use a through pin lock as well .... maybe something can be adapted for the Motor Guide?

https://smartlocksguide.com/best-loc...rolling-motor/
Old 01-27-2022, 07:58 PM

Use the minn Kota one on your motorguide, they are way better and easy to lock
Old 01-28-2022, 10:01 AM

I had no problem with a good sized lock on my older Minn with the quick release, but the motor guide release lifts straigt up after you release the pin that holds the motor to the bracket. The pin latches into a small clip that has holes to attach a lock but the only lock that will fit is the small suit case style.

I think it would not take much to break that little bugger off. I am thinking of drilling and inseting a bolt that would be close enough to the release pin that you could not get it out without removing the bolt which would be bolted from under neath. But that again means more drilling holds and having an issue with the bolt stick out.