Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 06:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question Let’s talk insulated ice tents

Ok we bought a frabrill 300 I think they call it that is uninsulated 6 person tent.
Stop laughing.....we set it up 20 times a season in which the first -20 the plastic windows shattered and the outside card holder too...three poles broke too...last one was just sitting there and we heard this cracking sound then a pop....wtf...we bought lane markers solid fibre glass poles and replaced the broken ones.....let’s just say frabrill is fragile...
Now looking at a Otter Vortex Resort Thermal Hub....hmmmm....input on the insulated tents greatly appreciated....thx!

Ohhh if you have a fragile tent bring electrical tape to repair poles on the ice to salvage an outing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2022, 07:17 AM

Love my Otter. I have the XTH Pro Lodge hub. It’s been solid. This is my fifth season with it. Mines insulated with the ice lock system. Super warm ,easy to set up and take down. The vertical removable windows are positioned so you can see your tip up or Jawjacker while sitting. I’ve also used it in the summer for camping. Made with tough fabric , super strong poles and hubs and real easy to clean. Buy one you can’t go wrong.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:22 AM

Hey Cat,
Always appreciate your updates and feedback on cold lake. I have the insulated otter resort tent your looking at. These are extremely well built and I have yet to have anything fail on mine. I had it out on cold lake in front of the marina when it was below -40 sitting in one spot all day and it popped down and went in the bag without any concern. Last year I spent the night on the ice at cold lake in it as well. The wind was constant but you can stake these down so well from the ground flap and all the pop outs at mid height that it barely moves and will not destroy itself. It’s pockets and rod holders all around the inside give you lots of places to get gear out of the way and it has clothes holders on the roof . It was -46 in the wind and we had 2 mr buddy heaters going jackets and hats off. Most of the season I can just run the medium sized mr buddy heater and keep toasty. 2 guys can do an overnighter with one hole for the burbot bite each. After my tent comes home I set it up in the basement to let it dry and my kids use it as their Fort messing around in and out of it all day. So I have put this tent to the test for 3 seasons and couldn’t be happier. It is heavier being insulated but, twice this year I’ve walked it out from the marina on a little pull sled to 80’ of water.
If you want to meet me at your secret laker spot i could come set it up
Cheers
W
Old 01-22-2022, 07:25 AM

I have a 4 man insulated clam, don't laugh at that either . I haven't had any issues with it at all.

As for the plastic windows, the back window on the soft top of the boss's jeep broke in the freezing cold a few years ago. And she said she's seen a few jeeps with taped up plastic windows in the winter time. Cheap plastic vs Alberta cold.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 07:38 AM

Had an Eskimo 4 man insulated. Awesome tent. Warm, setup in -30 no issues and never had an issue putting it back in it’s bag.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:55 AM

I have the Otter resort hub and have no complaints. It is a little bulky but checks all the boxes and more. Very well built and really warm. As others have said it has a lot of storage options inside(rod holders, tackle pouches, overhead storage) and imo the otter anchoring system can’t be beat(anchors around the skirt as well as the walls)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 08:10 AM

I bought a Eskimo Outbreak 650xd last year. I originally wanted an otter vortex resort but got impatient waiting on stock so got the eskimo and I couldn't be happier. They have addressed all the shortcomings eskimo used to be known for....the bag is huge and easy to put the tent away even in -30....the anchor system is on par with otter and the full size door (which otter has now) is the cats ass. It's been used lots in the last year and I have zero complaints.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:08 AM

Thx for the replies on insulated tents,
Dam the otter is out of stuck everywhere…go figure must be a good piece of gear.
Soooo wife found (fishing partner) the Eskimo 450 outbreak limited hmmm she liked the colour pattern but I said let’s get some reviews from non sales people or anglers heavily sponsored so over to you folks….again thx for all the input might save me a roll of electrical tape repairing poles…LOL!

Old 01-22-2022, 11:00 AM

I bought the Eskimo outbreak 850XD this year after having a 9416I for 5-6 years. The 9416I went through hell and back and never gave me any grief. This new tent is by far the nicest tent I've been in, including Otter tents. I've been out -35 with only 1 Heater and its boiling in the tent. It even has that new door style where you don't trip going in and out. My only complaints are; its super awkward by yourself and the bag is way too stiff when packing up.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:26 AM

I absolutely love the Outbreak full size door. I would pick this tent just for the door design alone. I can't comment on the quality though.

If I was to do a flip tent forsure I would do Otter.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-22-2022, 03:09 PM

Another question do you folks spray the outside of the tent with a water repellant?

Just thinking cuz the other day it was -12 and raining hard!

Old 01-23-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Another question do you folks spray the outside of the tent with a water repellant?

I have not and it has been okay. But it will pool and leak for sure without. Not that is happens that often. I think it is a great idea to spray it.

I have the Otter Pro Cabin. Don't let the name fool you. Great single person tent. Better really like your buddy...or wife if you plan to fish two. The Otter flip overs are awesome! So tough. The one issue is the weight. I'm sure mine is over 100 lbs.....Or at least seems like it. By myself it is a bitch to manage to load and unload but I've got it figured. All about leverage and using those legs.

If that weight is a concern then maybe look to the new Hexagon / hub styles insulated. I know that is an option I'm thinking about next for my ownself

Check out RiverSide Outdoors (ON) for Otters. Not sure if they have any. Shipping costs to AB are decent.

Edit, yep sold out as well except the for monster sized flips....no wonder.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:28 PM

Well we just ordered the Eskimo 450XD limited ice shelter seems it will be good for the two of us and gear.
A little smaller so less space to heat etc but again like anything else we will see how this odd looking ice shelter performs!!!

Old 01-23-2022, 01:44 PM

You will love it and wonder why you didn’t get one sooner. Great purchase.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well we just ordered the Eskimo 450XD limited ice shelter seems it will be good for the two of us and gear.
A little smaller so less space to heat etc but again like anything else we will see how this odd looking ice shelter performs!!!

We upgraded to this same one this year also. You'll love it. We were on Cold Lake the weekend of Jan 8 in that -30 to -40 weather. The tent handled those temps like a champ.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:28 PM

I'm a little late to this conversation, but for insulated hub shelters I have an Eskimo 9416i which is the same size as your Frabill but insulated, an Otter Vortex Lodge hub which is the typical 9X9 square, and the bigger Otter Vortex Resort hub you saw us camping in last weekend. If you find your 450 too small, let me know and I'll sell you my twice used 9416i cheap cheap...I was going to offer it too you when we were up but wanted to make sure I was coming back in March first.

Insulated is the only way to go. It's also not a bad idea to get the size that's just big enough for your needs as they are quite a bit heavier than non-insulated tents. I think you'll like the 450XD for day trips. A gray interior is the way to go IMO, although lots of people prefer black. The ultimate hub shelter *should* be released next year...the Otter Vortex Pro Resort Thermal Hub. It's the same as what we had set up but with a walk out door. I'm just hoping it's six sides plus the door...they don't decrease space using one of the six sides for the door like Eskimo.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:

The Resort we had set up isn't sprayed and it was fine. It did get wet on a couple of sides, but it was fine inside. I set it up in the garage as soon as we got home, popped the dehumidifier I have for my 1000g aquarium in it, and the next morning it was good as new and packed up for the next trip. Having said that, they don't like a good hard rain and will lose their insulating properties and sometimes the roof will collapse with the weight.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:57 PM

Awesome information much appreciated. We don’t sleep on the ice and really only need room for two, small table and big comfy chairs so this should cover our needs. If we have a third in then the table goes outside no biggie.
I will in the summer give it a sealant spray of fabric guard 303!
Again thx all for the input very much appreciated and if your out on the ice and see us stop by for a chat, always good to see folks enjoying cold lake.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
We upgraded to this same one this year also. You'll love it. We were on Cold Lake the weekend of Jan 8 in that -30 to -40 weather. The tent handled those temps like a champ.

Your crazy or hardcore!!!!
But if the tent kept you warm that is good information for us cuz we may hit a -20 day accidentally if it’s colder we stay home.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the good info in this post, my friend and I are going to need to get an insulated tent soon, our last trip ended up having the tent freeze to the ground (non insulated) and get ripped up, my heater got bashed up and now needs repairs.

I would love to get my hands on something like the Eskimo 650XD or the 850XD, so here is hoping for spring/summer sale and or used marker cheapy lol. Being able to have an insulated shelter with room for 2 cots, the table and area for gear will be an awesome upgrade in the future, so the Eskimo tents looks pretty good for the price range.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveClown View Post
Thanks for the good info in this post, my friend and I are going to need to get an insulated tent soon, our last trip ended up having the tent freeze to the ground (non insulated) and get ripped up, my heater got bashed up and now needs repairs.

I would love to get my hands on something like the Eskimo 650XD or the 850XD, so here is hoping for spring/summer sale and or used marker cheapy lol. Being able to have an insulated shelter with room for 2 cots, the table and area for gear will be an awesome upgrade in the future, so the Eskimo tents looks pretty good for the price range.
My research says your spot on for two cots and gear with those sizes, I say a fella on YouTube camp in the 450XD but that was just one guy and gear very doable.

Ours was supposed to be here yesterday now not until Monday....was hoping to show it off but that will have to wait....out comes the old fragile tent but at least it’s not super cold

Old 01-29-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Your crazy or hardcore!!!!
But if the tent kept you warm that is good information for us cuz we may hit a -20 day accidentally if it’s colder we stay home.

Haha maybe a little of both. Came up again this weekend. Much warmer lol. Bite started off slow while we were deep. Went to 40 ft and you couldn't keep them off the hook. Even had a triple header

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2022, 07:18 PM

Huge difference between the two.

Have an Eskimo 949 non insulated and is great for day trips. Use a big buddy with a clip on fan to blow the heat back down but only stayed overnight with -3 temps. My boy and I bought a double hub insulated and makes a huge difference. -20 and below with non insulated will develop frost and water dripping sucks **** while trying to sleep..LOL.

All tents are only as good as what you ae using them for...