Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Default Hunting Regs vs. Wildlife Act

There is a reason this gets put in the regulations summary.

That’s because the publisher sometimes misses full sentences, and puts incorrect punctuation at play.
Like they have here:

Reading this it would seem like you can’t use recorded calls which mimic rabbits, hares, or rodents.
Which I was kinda suspicious of since that’s what a lot of guys use to call coyotes etc.

So I took a look see at the Wildlife Act, and Lordy did the publisher butcher the actual rule.

It pays to confirm one against the other, lest save a bunch of confusion.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 PM

Many hunters have never even bothered to look at the Wildlife Act. This is a good reason, to at least make the effort.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Where is the confusion?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Where is the confusion?
The use of the brackets suggests that rabbit, hare and rodent calls are not covered under the except; heading.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Many hunters have never even bothered to look at the Wildlife Act. This is a good reason, to at least make the effort.
Many Hunters never even look at the hunting regs nevermind the wildlife Act

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM

Periods denote separation. Parenthesis denote inclusion but not necessity. They are used to bolster meaning.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Looks pretty clear to me.
I really don't see the problem.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 PM

Default Found dead wildlife

All over the Map on this subject...

From the Wildlife Act

Permit to possess found dead wildlife 134 A person who finds dead wildlife may, before obtaining a permit, take the wildlife into possession and retain it, but his right to possess the wildlife under this section ends as soon as it becomes reasonably possible for him to apply for a permit to possess found dead wildlife

From AEP Website

For Salvaging Meat
If you have found a road-killed animal and would like to salvage the meat, contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office prior to taking such wildlife into your possession.
Explain the circumstances and where the carcass was found, keeping in mind that approvals to salvage meat are given on a case-by-case basis.
A Fish and Wildlife officer will advise you whether further investigation or inspection of the carcass will be required.
For Taxidermy
You must apply for a Permit to Possess Found Dead Wildlife.
Contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office to report what you have found and make arrangements to bring the carcass in as soon as possible.
If the officer is satisfied that all legal conditions are met, a permit may be issued for a $10 fee.
Wildlife possessed under this permit may not be sold, but you can apply to have the permit transferred to another resident.

From the Hunting Regulations

FOUND DEAD WILDLIFE

When driving or walking, hunters often find dead wildlife that they would like to keep. In most cases it is unlawful to possess such wildlife or parts of wildlife without first obtaining a permit. Contact a Fish and Wildlife office to apply for such a permit before taking possession of the wildlife.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The use of the brackets suggests that rabbit, hare and rodent calls are not covered under the except; heading.
I don't understand it that way either. The way it appears in the synopsis is clear.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Looks clear to me but I'll get drunk and read it again.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Banned

They both say the same to me despite the parentheses.

But wait! I don’t see an electronic call for a pup in distress or coyote howls being legal.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

LOL.....sad but too true.

Interesting contradiction re:found dead wildlife.
Often times I’ve wanted to pick up roadkill for coyote/wolf bait but maybe it was after hours/middle of night/Sunday or whatever and i thought I needed permission beforehand,and maybe not worth returning/too far out of my way etc for it the following day.
I guess from now on I’ll pick it up when and where I find it and call later during business hours.

Also I’ve always found it weird that it specifies what kind of prey sounds are allowed with e-calls and only specifies rodents while excluding calls such as fawn distress/calf distress etc.
I only use lung powered hand calls anyhow and have a decent collection of commercial,custom,and homemade calls......but if I had an e-caller I’d want the choice to use fawn/calf distress etc as well.....I don’t understand what’s the problem if it’s after big game seasons have ended or even in season if youve already tagged out and/or hunting with <.23cal etc??
Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Many hunters don't realize that there is actually a difference between the Wildlife Act and Wildlife Rgulations. And, yeah, they haven't read either.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:19 PM

Is there a link to the act?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 PM

I think that’s a comprehension error on your part. Pretty plain English.
That’s said, read the wildlife act.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Why is it important for hunters to know what’s in the Wildlife Act? Do you think that all drivers should know what’s in the Traffic Safety Act as well? The rules regarding hunting and fishing aren’t all that complicated and if you are familiar with the regs that pertain to you in the WMU that you are hunting or fishing, I think that should suffice. Why do people insist on complicating things?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why is it important for hunters to know what’s in the Wildlife Act? Do you think that all drivers should know what’s in the Traffic Safety Act as well? The rules regarding hunting and fishing aren’t all that complicated and if you are familiar with the regs that pertain to you in the WMU that you are hunting or fishing, I think that should suffice. Why do people insist on complicating things?
caveat emptor
Knowing the rules of the road will generally suffice to get you home safely from work on your daily commute ....knowing the TSA will get your wrongful ticket tossed out of court.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 AM

The hunting regs to me in this example say that those sounds are legal.

I’m not sure what the confusion is?

Set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife, recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except USING ELECTRONIC CALLS TO HUNT CROWS, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hates or rodents)

Thisists the exception to the law
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Because the hunting guide does not list each and every regulation that a hunter should know. How are you going to learn each of those regulations that apply to you, if you don't at least make an effort to look at the act? Sure there is a lot of legal definitions and such that the average person may not need to know, but if you skim over the act, most people will learn things that they never knew before, but that they should know.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default This is going to be another juicy thread.

Thanks for the good read Dick

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2018, 07:03 AM

I had no problem understanding the use of electronic calls in the refs, but then, I am dyslexic!
Cat