Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 11:21 PM

Default What would you do??

If you came across a deer that has a badly broken leg and had the means to end its misery would you put it down yourself??this is after legal light and after the season has closed and also on private land..instead of knowing it would be Eatin Alive probly by totes as I type this msg..and knowing full well the COs would Not be able to respond to this in time to do anything about it..
Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 PM

I’m pretty sure you know what I would do !
Cat
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Wouldn’t hesitate!! ��
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Banned

No, three legged deer can survive just fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
If you came across a deer that has a badly broken leg and had the means to end its misery would you put it down yourself??this is after legal light and after the season has closed and also on private land..instead of knowing it would be Eatin Alive probly by totes as I type this msg..and knowing full well the COs would Not be able to respond to this in time to do anything about it..
Just curious, if you decided that you should end this deers life immediately because you thought it was going to die soon anyway, what would you do with the body after shooting it to put it out of its misery?

Bring it to fish and wildlife so the coyotes cant get it? What would they say about your decision to shoot a deer that you thought was injured too badly to survive..

Leave it for the coyotes to clean up? If its too injured to run from coyotes they will get it anyway...

Or you could just let it be to let nature sort it out and if it survives then it survives...

Last edited by Nyksta; 12-10-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM
Banned

There are a bunch of three legged deer vids on YouTube. They can get around pretty darned good on only three legs and have a pretty good chance of survival. Here’s a three legged one in a couple of feet of snow. Tough buggers.

https://youtu.be/yYLqqLtuIzk
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 AM

^ Virginia USA is a long way from Alberta with them occasionally getting snow. Unlike Alberta i imagine can be brutal thru its winters for extended periods.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Last edited by last minute; 12-10-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Not with it
Old 12-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Tough call, slippery slope.

Awful to watch an animal suffer - I hear you in that there's broken legs and then there's broken legs.

This is a topic where I'd like a CO to weigh in - does a guy's conscience and moral compass get him in trouble here?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Would you shoot a healthy deer after hrs, after the season on private land ? It not, then leave a wounded deer in same circumstances alone .. that was answer I received from a CO when I asked the same question .Let nature be the judge and take its course .
Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Tough call, slippery slope.

Awful to watch an animal suffer - I hear you in that there's broken legs and then there's broken legs.

This is a topic where I'd like a CO to weigh in - does a guy's conscience and moral compass get him in trouble here?
Yup a oereob’s Moral compass sure can get them in a heap of trouble when it comes to the law
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 AM

Christmas day a couple or three years ago saw a buck on the side of the road with its rear quarters broken down from being hit by a vehicle, it's head was up but couldn't do anything but crawl with its front legs. Phoned the RAP line, CO phoned me back 10 minutes later, said go ahead and put it down, so I did then dragged it off into the bush for the coyotes. Only deer I shot in 15 years!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM

Broken leg I would 'let it walk' if it was getting around alright.

What about a moose covered in ticks with half it's hair missing and winter setting in? Or a sick, skinny animal hobbling around?

I won't say what I would do in those situations. In the end I think it comes down to how strongly you feel about the situation and if you are willing to face possible backlash from your actions.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
No, three legged deer can survive just fine.
Exactly.

Had a Mulie with a front leg broken clean in half, hanging on by the skin. Had her return every year after for many years, limping around with 3.5 legs doing just fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM

It's limping, better kill it....

Or let the animal face fate. The results may surprise many.

Over the years I've helped butcher several deer and elk that had healed from completely broken legs. All of these were healthy and fat.

Pictures of a doe whitetail metatarsus that was fully broken and healed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150526_123702_resized.jpg (57.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 20150526_125757_resized.jpg (69.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 20150627_091736_resized.jpg (40.5 KB, 180 views)

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
It's limping, better kill it....

Or let the animal face fate. The results may surprise many.

Over the years I've helped butcher several deer and elk that had healed from completely broken legs. All of these were healthy and fat.

Pictures of a doe whitetail metatarsus that was fully broken and healed.
Ok. That's really cool. Tough, tough critters. Thanks for sharing those. 🙂
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM

I just wanted to hear other guys opinions on the situation.i hope the deer survives but the way he looked I have my doubts.was a really bad break.and he was hurting but nature is nature I guess.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 PM

They never put down that bear out by bragcreek that was hit by a car and they explicitly wouldn’t let anyone finish the job I know guys that asked and they where told if that bear gets shot there will be an investigation and charges. It may seem horrible but you have to let nature do its thing.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 AM

I disagree, if it’s horrible do the right thing, end it’s misery .Do it discreetly, if the F/w can’t come. No animal should endure horrible pain if a human can end it for them.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:18 AM

“Broken leg” is a bit vague and a break lower down is one thing but if the animal can’t get up because its hind leg is broken up by the socket that is another .
The coyotes wolves and birds would be at it where it lay so they would be eating on s dead animal not a live one if I had anything to do with it
Cat
Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 AM

Depending on where you live you can call the RCMP and let them know about it and they will come put it down. If you’re a ways away from the nearest detachment doesn’t hurt to give them a call to let them know what’s up and in my experience no one is going to bat an eye if you take care of it yourself.

Personally if I was going to do that I would take pictures before and after including where I put the animal after it was done just as a bit of cya.

When it comes to moral/ethical dilemmas I try to stick to doing what I believe to be the right thing for the right reasons. Hard for a reasonable person (including an RC or CO) to punish you for that.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

No one would know......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM

I arrowed a cow moose years ago when I was a rookie, she only had three legs. Her back right leg was clean gone from the knee down, her hide had grown over top. My hunting partner had pushed her out of the bush for me and she gave me a shot at 40 yards broadside. I made a perfect shot and seconds later her calves came out, that’s right calves all THREE. This moose could move so could through the clear cut that I didn’t even know that she had three legs until I walked up on her.I have never seen a moose with triplets since. I still feel bad about it today. They are remarkable creatures, three legs and she was still raising three calves who by the way were doing extremely well.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Does it matter?
Nature will do natural things and not one deer, with four, three or five legs is getting out alive.
Leave it be and let the circle of life do it's thing
Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 AM

It’s a little different when your a resident of the area where the animal is suffering. Everyone else goes home and smugly says let the circle of life take care of it . They don’t have to keep seeing the animal. F/W are usually too busy to ever come out. If the RCMP do ever show up they most likely tell the rancher to take care of it anyway.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 AM

All you have to do is call f/w and tell them the situation they will have a officer call you he will tell you to take pictures and send them to him. If the animal is injured badly enough he will give you the ok to put it down or not. Then you can go in to the f/w office get a permit for the animal and you can take it home and eat it provided the meat isn’t damaged to badly from however it broke its leg. So the answer is simple call get legal permission and it’s all yours. I hit a deer with my truck a few years back did just that and it tasted great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM

I was on a job site about 13 years ago that had a 7-8 foot high ornamental fence around it with the pickets having pointed arrows on the top of them. A white tail tried to jump it and didn't make it, it was hanging there with the arrows in it's gut. One of the guys with a Hilti shot gun that has powder cartridges in it for shooting nails into steel or concrete went up to it and shot several into it's head and put it out of it's missery. Kind of an odd circumstance and it was within Edmonton in a residential neighbourhood. Officers latter came by and removed it that day.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I had a buddy come across a moose with a broken leg lying on the side of the road. He had heard that it would be best to shoot it.

Then he had a moose lying on the side of the road with a broken leg and a gun shot wound!

BW
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

i hit a deer at night last week and i watched a very injured deer 10' from the road not able to get away.

hard to watch but not worth going to jail for. so i checked in the morning and it had made its way through a field to likely recover or die.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Default same as poaching...

If you shoot that deer, outside the laws and rules as stated, it's the same as poaching. Deer, and other animals were breaking their legs long before we were around to "put them out of their misery"...let nature deal with it. Yes, nature can be cruel, but how that story, or any like it, plays out is not for us to say...leave it be!