Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default Why the 6.5 PRC is the bomb for long range hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFrnhu_DV9M

The True Magnum Adventure Rifle is made by Cooper so may be a way for Cooper Fans to own a 6.5 PRC.
http://truemagnum.com/display.asp?page=rifle
Old 12-12-2018, 02:49 PM

6.5 bullet has very good LR ballistics, so it seems that you put most any type of case behind a 6.5 bullet you will probably have a really good LR cartridge..

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/edito...6.5-prc/307816

Last edited by warriorboy10; 12-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:48 PM

https://youtu.be/pPxloOlzmjA

Looks like any cartridge can do long distance if the shooter does his/her part.

https://youtu.be/jJ3XwizTqDw

https://youtu.be/hk4RPsn8Zfs
Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM

3 days... since someone was last beating the 6.5 drum and the last thread got shut down how long is this one going to last?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
3 days... since someone was last beating the 6.5 drum and the last thread got shut down how long is this one going to last?
Actually only 69 hours. Dont exaggerate
Old 12-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Gun Writer Ron Spomer has a pretty good wright up on it that is not biased. It's not all that and a bag of fries but it is better than some, worse than others.
Not what I am looking for in a hunting cartridge however, I already built a 6.5 wildcat 18 years ago or so that does the same thing
https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...fle-cartridge/
Cat
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the up date Iclund

Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
https://youtu.be/pPxloOlzmjA

Looks like any cartridge can do long distance if the shooter does his/her part.

https://youtu.be/jJ3XwizTqDw

https://youtu.be/hk4RPsn8Zfs
Yes and no doubt there will be plenty of shooters rushing out to buy 45-70 rifles to shoot Elk to 750 yards and Deer/Sheep to 1000 yards judging by responses to threads on AO. But as you see the Professionals are leaning toward the 6.5 PRC, even over the 300 Win Mag, for Long Range Hunting. Seems their motto is shoot short and practice long just in case the perfect opportunity presents itself. This is the exact same reasoning I had behind the 6.5 300 RCM/EXTREME, PT&G reamer, that I did in 2009 and I am glad to see that Hornady saw fit to legitimize the cartridge with some slight changes. As I said before I can use their 6.5 PRC FL dies to Shoulder Bump my cartridge.

Last edited by lclund1946; 12-12-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM

So he took probably the highest B.C 6.5 bullet made and compared it to a 180 gr bullet with average B.C’s and the 300 wm still has slightly more energy. He should have compared the 6.5 PRC to a 300wm loaded with a 215 Berger travelling at 2950 FPS
Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Banned

What does a 6.5 prc do that a 6.5x284 Norma doesn’t?
You do realize that these pros are paid to push the new product.
6.5 prc ammo is more expensive also
Old 12-12-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Well, if you look at the chart that Mr. Spomer posted in the link in post #6, both cartridges are neck and neck .
But then charts can be altered, and so on, suffice it to say it's a decent cartridge , but then most are these days!
Cat
Old 12-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Well, if you look at the chart that Mr. Spomer posted in the link in post #6, both cartridges are neck and neck .
But then charts can be altered, and so on, suffice it to say it's a decent cartridge , but then most are these days!
Cat
I agree. I just don’t see how a 1/2 moa prc is better than a 1/2 moa 6.5x284?
Heck the 6.5x284 even recoils less.
The prc isn’t bringing anything new, except new advertising.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM

The PRC uses about 10 more grains of powder and has a good 100 FPS advantage over the 6.5-284. That being said I won’t be selling my 6.5-284 anytime soon.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The PRC uses about 10 more grains of powder and has a good 100 FPS advantage over the 6.5-284. That being said I won’t be selling my 6.5-284 anytime soon.
Not according tooth chart I saw but then charts etc can be messed around I guess.
The thing is with Spomer’s chart the bullet weight was the same
Cat
Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 PM

I’ll just stick to my good old .264. Once you get it loaded up with modern powders, the 26 Nosler doesn’t have that much more over the old girl.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Gun Writer Ron Spomer has a pretty good wright up on it that is not biased. It's not all that and a bag of fries but it is better than some, worse than others.
Not what I am looking for in a hunting cartridge however, I already built a 6.5 wildcat 18 years ago or so that does the same thing
https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...fle-cartridge/
Cat
Odd that the velocity is the same as the 6.5x284, but the recoil is higher, so the PRC must be burning more powder.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:40 AM

It seems odd that theres alot of over-lap between cartrages. This could be said about a good portion of them.

Give or take 50 to 100 ft-lbs energy over all spread in todays shooting distances of 50 to 300,,, maybe 4 or 500 odd yards.

Maybe the 308 to 30/06,,, 300 Win to Weatherby,,, 7x57 to 7mm-08,,, and a few others.

Would the ten ish 6.5 cartrages be pretty close,,,, maybe the seven 300 Mags,,, Five or Six 7mm Mags. Of course that's not saying that the mix/ match of 22 center fire cartrages don't have their family of closely related cartrages as well.

The young kid at camp said the same thing I said 40+ years ago,,, the old time thought this him self by in the 1960's.

A person would think that 5 or 7 cartrages would of filled our needs for all the critter we encounter here in North America,,, heck,,, even 1 cartrage could of got it done.

Splitting hairs at minimal differences with out major gains doesn't really seem worth while,,, oh well,,, I guess I'm looking at it the wrong way as normal.

Ha,,, 1 gun or more than 1,,, huuuuuuuum,,, now if I go gopher hunting next year with my full bore,,, then this might make it possible to by the 1 Gun dude after all. Ha.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 AM

6.5's are great. But this comparison is not fair. Using a heavy for caliber high BC bullet in the 6.5 then in the video the 300 Win Mag is running a 180 gr??? Not a high BC or heavy for caliber bullet in a 30 cal. But I guess you got to get the numbers where you want them to sell your gun and caliber. Was unable to open the link in post 6 for some reason. Anyone have energy numbers for the 6.5 PRC for 500 and 1000 yds?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Shooting Xs

Don,
We know what you mean ,but the word is cartridge,as in 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge.
No offense intended.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Havent we had enough of these 6.5 threads.....

Although I am surprised it was not started by Stinky yet again

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
I’ll just stick to my good old .264. Once you get it loaded up with modern powders, the 26 Nosler doesn’t have that much more over the old girl.
This I agree with,if you want a fast 6.5, nothing wrong with the good old 264 win mag with a 1-8 twist,I think most of the factory rifles came with a 1-9 twist.I would like to see it make a comeback.6.5 - 284 or 6,5 - 06 would be my next choice if I wanted something faster than the Creedmoor.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Gone Hunting

6.5 is my favorite big game caliber, Im not a competition shooter.

Having said that I wonder if there is such a thing as the perfect long range cartridge.

Recently I've been reading "The Accurate Lee Enfield" by Stephen Redgwell.
In it he talks about participating in 1,000 yard matches for unaltered .303.
I believe they were in New Zealand.

I know my SNo4 Mk 1* was factory equipped with a rear sight calibrated out past 1,000 yards and I know there are warnings on .22 rimfire cartridge boxs saying they can be dangerous up to half a mile distance.

So I wonder, if all that is true, then when one is comparing rifles with trajectories that vary less then an inch at 1,000 yards is there really any advantage. Or is it more in the shooters mind?

Moreover, if one can hit a target at 1,000 yards with a .303, which is disdained by many for it's supposed rainbow trajectory, is not ability a much bigger factor then trajectory. And isn't seeking a flat trajectory an admission that one lacks confidence in his ability and possibly lacks ability too?

Of course some would argue that wind is a factor and the flatter shooting rifles are less subject to wind deflection. Fair enough, but then wouldn't a shorter heavier bullet be better?

Isn't it easier to compensate for six inches drop as opposed to six inches wind deflection?
I'm thinking, drop is pretty predictable, wind drift over a 1,000 travel not so much.

My only experiences with anything close to long range shooting involved off the shelf hunting rifles under field conditions and only somewhere around 500 yard ranges.
It taught me one thing, a Bear can walk more then half it's body length in the time it takes to squeeze the trigger and a 284 bullet to travel 500+ yards.
If one added a bit of wind, I can only imagine how far off target I would have been.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Another thing I wonder about.

Just how significant is ft. lbs. energy. as a comparison if the goal is for the bullet to pass clear through whatever target.

If the bullet passes through and exits, does in not have energy remaining?
If it does have energy remaining, who does one calculate how much?

Seems to me to be an impossible to calculate factor which, it seems to me, would make ft. lbs. energy a meaningless figure for this application.

Or am I missing something?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
6.5 is my favorite big game caliber, Im not a competition shooter.

Having said that I wonder if there is such a thing as the perfect long range cartridge.

Recently I've been reading "The Accurate Lee Enfield" by Stephen Redgwell.
In it he talks about participating in 1,000 yard matches for unaltered .303.
I believe they were in New Zealand.

I know my SNo4 Mk 1* was factory equipped with a rear sight calibrated out past 1,000 yards and I know there are warnings on .22 rimfire cartridge boxs saying they can be dangerous up to half a mile distance.

So I wonder, if all that is true, then when one is comparing rifles with trajectories that vary less then an inch at 1,000 yards is there really any advantage. Or is it more in the shooters mind?

Moreover, if one can hit a target at 1,000 yards with a .303, which is disdained by many for it's supposed rainbow trajectory, is not ability a much bigger factor then trajectory. And isn't seeking a flat trajectory an admission that one lacks confidence in his ability and possibly lacks ability too?

Of course some would argue that wind is a factor and the flatter shooting rifles are less subject to wind deflection. Fair enough, but then wouldn't a shorter heavier bullet be better?

Isn't it easier to compensate for six inches drop as opposed to six inches wind deflection?
I'm thinking, drop is pretty predictable, wind drift over a 1,000 travel not so much.

My only experiences with anything close to long range shooting involved off the shelf hunting rifles under field conditions and only somewhere around 500 yard ranges.
It taught me one thing, a Bear can walk more then half it's body length in the time it takes to squeeze the trigger and a 284 bullet to travel 500+ yards.
If one added a bit of wind, I can only imagine how far off target I would have been.
I think there are a number of things to consider, especially for the 1000yd competitive shooters. Drop, drift, availability of quality components, proper clambering and twist rates, and recoil. I would think if someone wants to practice long range shooting that all of these things would be an important feature. The 6.5 does allow the shooter to sustain a down range energy with less recoil ratio.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Enough already
I know, I know, you're excited about your new purchase and your fragile ego requires you to go to the mountain top to tell all others how the world of ballistics is passing us by.

I can see the next thread
"the 6.5 will be the long range rifle of the United Space Force"
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Feeds more reliably
Factory barrels with the appropriate twist rate and length for modern projectiles
Most importantly, more factory ammo at a lower price (once production ramps up)

Yes, you can do all this with hand loading and your custom blah blah blah $5000 setup. Not the point. Just like the creedmoor, they took the lessons learned from the past and made something better available to the public at a reasonable price.

Some of you guys will never understand that not everyone has the time/space/opportunity to reload and build custom guns.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I think there are a number of things to consider, especially for the 1000yd competitive shooters. Drop, drift, availability of quality components, proper clambering and twist rates, and recoil. I would think if someone wants to practice long range shooting that all of these things would be an important feature. The 6.5 does allow the shooter to sustain a down range energy with less recoil ratio.
That all makes sense to me. Thank you for clearing that up.

I know this, if I were to take up long range shooting, a 6.5 would be my first choice. But allas, it will never happen. I have never been steady enough for anything close to competitive shooting. And each passing year I find it harder and harder to hold steady enough to even put holes in paper.

I am now close to loosing my ability to shoot and hit any target without a good rest.
Even with a good rest I've never been able to achive better then 1 MOA
I'm up to about 4 now. With a rest.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Thar come a blow,Billy. Batten the Hatches.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Some of you guys will never understand that not everyone has the time/space/opportunity to reload and build custom guns.
^This is what I hope the 6.5 PRC has for its benefit.

In the end ya it does much the same as some of the Wildcats. I however am not currently looking to build a custom gun. So the 6.5 PRC gets me alot of what I want in a cartridge. If it is commercially available makes it obtainable for me. Exact same reason many would buy a 6.5 Creedmore sure I could do much of the same with a 260AI but not in a production rifle.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Yuppers

At $65 for 20 factory cartrages in Canada,,, that sounds like a good deal. Ha