Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Only thing added since last season was the trailshot water filter. So far i'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Never go withouts now:

-REAL merino under garments, not the mix synthetic/cotton/merino like what a lot of companies use and promote as merino.

-Swarovski Binoculars new EL range 10x42mm for me or my trusty SLC 10x42mm

-Lowa boots, Renegades or Tibets GTX. Both have been outstanding for me especially the Tibets

-Sitka Timberline or Ascent pants. If you own these you know why they made the list

Noteworthy mention cause it doesn't come on every hunt, Stone Glacier pack Sky 7400
Old 11-30-2018, 07:27 PM

Default Reviving an old thread..

Best piece of gear I added this year is a dead ringer hammock seat chair. I'm partial to still hunting and often find myself a good spot to sit and watch for a while. Sitting on the ground or a dead fall gets old fast. Carrying a folding chair just gets in the way and I see heavy when your on the move. Enter the dead ringer, it folds up into a tiny pouch and is really light, but it's as comfy as any chair I've ever sat in. Works on just about any tree or fence post. Makes those long sits comfortable without adding lots of extra weight in your pack.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:33 PM

The best new piece of equipment I’m using this year is the kifaru lost park parka. It’s unbelievable how something so weightless can be so warm.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanwoo View Post
Bino case. No more slouching due to constant bouncing/tugging on my neck and the binos stay dry/dust free.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/camo-binocular-case
X2.
Tried many and this is the best one so far.
Also got a Trigger stick Gen3 that was great when switching from spotting scope to shooting rest in the high buck brush.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
X2.
Tried many and this is the best one so far.
Also got a Trigger stick Gen3 that was great when switching from spotting scope to shooting rest in the high buck brush.
In years past I have used a 10x monocular as they are small and light and work well for my hunting style. Last Christmas my wife bought me my first good set of binoculars 10x42s. My traditional carry for the monocular was sling over my shoulder and rested under my left arm. Easy access when needed but out of the way. Since getting the binos I have been using them carried the same way, but found them to be a bit awkward and I was always worried I'd damage them. Yesterday I bough a browning bino pack...also has a pocket for my range finder, calls and tags...next year I'll try it out to see how it works
Old 12-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Tessier View Post
Only thing added since last season was the trailshot water filter. So far i'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.
I got one of these last year but have yet to actually use it. I keep defaulting back to the Steripen. What are your thought on it compared to other filter/purification options you've used?

Last year for me it was the SLC's/tripod. This year my top new piece was a pair of OR Ferrosi pants. Absolutely incredible. Lightweight, breathable, dry quickly, nice stretch in the legs for movement, but no stretch on the waist over the course of 10 days sheep hunting, which meant I never had to throw the belt on.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Default My Best/Favorite Gear

I'm glad I found this post because I was thinking about starting one myself. I've hunted for many years in Ontario and Alberta and these are a couple of things I think are indispensable for personal gear. (cant add photos right now.. will edit later).

1. Outdoor Edge Swing Blade/ Gutting Knife/ with Saw: Ive gutted and skinned several deer with this combo. The blade is easy to sharpen, holds its edge very well, its easy to clean, and the gutting tool is the best one I've ever used when opening up an animals abdomen. The blunt end on the skinning tool protects from puncturing the guts, and the saw is very handy for cutting open the pelvis and sternum on deer. It also comes equipped with a high-vis orange, rubber-grippy, handle because when you accidently drop your bloody knife in the snow (which you will at some-point) you can find it again in a hurry. Are there higher end knives ? Most definitely, but this isn't a B-S Bowie or K-Bar pretty boy blade that looks good on your belt, its a totally functional hunting knife that I swear by. I think I bought it for 75$ at Cabelas, and they now cost around $100 for the package with the leather sheath;

Link here:https://www.google.ca/search?q=OR+sw...=1543878519014

2. Bun-Saver inflatable seat: I hunt from tree stands, logs, or while spotting and stalking. My best success, however, has been while sitting still.. This piece of kit is cheap ($15 dollars on Amazon), and I think I originally got it in Ottawa at SAIL or LEBARON sports. It is better than any sitting pad I've ever used and - if you've ever used a thermarest in the military (or similar) - it will literally save your ass, even if its wet. It is small, light, can compresses into a small-backpack sized lump, and you can walk around with it attached to your back/ ass without it getting in the way. When required, flip it down around your booty and take a load off. It works on cold, wet, damp, snow covered ground, logs, muskeg, etc. I recently lost my old one, panicked a bit a few days before hunting, and luckily found one on the google that shipped in two days. I don't leave home without it..

Link Here: https://www.amazon.ca/Hunters-Specia.../dp/B0016SG81K

more to come
Old 12-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Switchview lever for rifle scope and triad tactical large modular stock pouch
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Default Best piece of gear

I bought a Tikka T3 3 years ago can’t beleive I used the remingtons and the Browning’s junk for 45 years.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 PM

I have several items I count on during each of my hunts but really liking one of my new additions this years that’s my Alaskan Guide Creation pack the most versatile bino harness I’ve had.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Just wondering what's the best piece of hunting/ shooting gear you have added/ found to your kit since last season? Or if nothing new what's your old never without? Mine is definitely scope shield. I spent 3 days last year fighting wet snow foggy lenses and butler creek scope craps while hunting. Spent a few hours researching and came across the scope shield product and now all my hunting rigs have one.

What's your greatest product find ?
Havalon knife set!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 PM

Added the new Kifaru light frame this year and am loving it so far.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Jetboil. Making coffee, soup and dehyrdated meals. I even use it to dry out my boots.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Nikon Laserforce Binoculars

By far the best hunting gear/item I have bought is my Nikon rangefinding nockers. They are always on my chest, bowhunting, rifle, shedhunting, coyote hunting.....you get the idea. Two hand ranging hillsides over 800 yards and steady ranging to 1923 yards.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Not a new add, but a siltarp is in my pack most of the time.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM

Exo 5500 pack, best add this year for me
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 AM

The only thing new this year was I got a few Outdoor Edge swingblade and replaceable blade knives given to me they work nice. Thanks Astro Communications

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 AM

I added a thin pace of flexible / stretch plastic to my pack.

I basically make a extra large sleeping bag that is held together with duct-tape,,, my plan is to incorporate an inner and outer material cover to lesson the noise it makes.

Nothing worse than getting spotted by critters.

I had to add a couple of vent flaps to let the moisture out since its 100% air tight. Ha. Kind like a steam oven when the snow on the boots melt.

Large buttons seal the flaps when they aren't needed,,, the extra large design makes it easy to move around in side of it,,, that way I can pull the extra material over the vent pockets if its snowing or raining,,, kinda like a hoody cap to keep the crap out.

I tried the YouTube Bivy-wacks earlier this fall,,, way to small to get comfortable,,, nothing like having extra real estate when it's needed, Ha.

PS: Don't forget to add a larger shoulder and head hoody pull over as well,,, nothing like having all your gear with you under cover,,, dry and warm in the winter months and frosty cold wet part of the season.

1/2 pound all rolled up with boot lace,,, I call it the $2 hotel of good times.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM

The best items I have picked up in the last 2 years, in order of purchase.

1. Vortex Glaspac's for My Vortex 12x50's
2. Eberlestock Pack
3. Vortex Diamondback tactical Scope mounted on a Tikka T3 in 7mmRemMag (bought this setup for my son)
4. Primos Trigerstiks (Jim Shockey Edition) tripod. Works for both rifle and Spotting scope
5. SigSauer Kilo 2200LRH Range Finder.

Add in the hand-loading work to develop a 0.5 MOA load for the Tikka and my Xbolt in 25-06, ballistic calculator on my tablet, and continuous long range practice, and we have a perfect storm!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Just wondering what's the best piece of hunting/ shooting gear you have added/ found to your kit since last season? Or if nothing new what's your old never without? Mine is definitely scope shield. I spent 3 days last year fighting wet snow foggy lenses and butler creek scope craps while hunting. Spent a few hours researching and came across the scope shield product and now all my hunting rigs have one.

What's your greatest product find ?

None of my gear is "last year" but I put some seriously hard core flip up lens covers on my scope some years back. Tried he butler creek crap but it's just that, crap. The eyepiece cover always slapped me on the eyebrow when I shot and they tend to not last very long and they're made very flimsy. I can't recall offhand the brand name of the ones I did buy, but I paid for them and am happy I did so. If anybody is really interested, PM me I'll check on the brand.

I can tell you this, they tighten onto the scope, not just slip on. They have a very positive connection and they're weather, and likely water, proof too.
They are very well made! I bought clear lens covers so I can use them to spot through but they come in yellow and just plain old black plastic too if I recall correctly. Oh, and when I fire, the cover on the back of the scope doesn't slap me in the face. They have very strong springs!

Other than that, my most important pieces of gear are the scope itself (a Swarovski X5 3.5 - 18 x 44 with ballistic turret) and my range finder (Leupold).
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 AM

1) Kuiu Guide Pants and Jacket, two years with them now. Just amazing.
2) Gerber Vital Replaceable Blade Knife
3) Remembering that my golfing range finder can be used for hunting.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 PM

1. Kuiu layering system

2. Mystery Ranch Backpack
Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedical View Post
1. Kuiu layering system

2. Mystery Ranch Backpack

Which model pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 12:02 AM

Mine unquestionably is satellite imagery and to narrow it down iHunter Ab. So much scouting, route planning, notes of sightings and times.... The list is endless. I'm shocked this was not chosen by a lot more people. New areas are 1000000 times easier to scout (nothing beats google earth sat. imagery).
I've bought some nice complimentary gear but none come close to the tech side of things. Works great for marking fishing spots too....
I would say that has changed the game (for better or worse) for hunting in Alberta more an any other single thing out there.

Gear wise: I pack pretty light. A good, small badlands fanny pack has helped me slim down the crap I bring. I'll go with that.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Gone Hunting

I haven't added anything to my gear in years. Can't afford to and have no need to.

The last thing I did add was a cordless Sawsall.

The only thing I always take on every hunting trip is patience. Everything else is interchangeable or optional.

Without patience the best and most complete gear selection is next to useless.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Exo 3500 pack and good boots!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Good friends to hunt with. All the rest is just secondary.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Default home made deer drag

it beats a hunk of rope.
consists of a 12' piece of mil spec 1" webbing and a 24" dynema sling.

I tie the mil spec into a big loop with an overhand knot and then attach the thinner dynema sling using girth hitch. It' makes the chore much easier and you can use it for any number of tasks. To use it you slip the dynama around the head or the antler bases and girth hitch. Then throw the big loop over a shoulder or around my waist and go. Works better in the snow.

if I'm going somewhere further from the road I grab it.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

Tags!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Bino harness this year! What a great piece of kit!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk