Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 10:38 AM

Default 2022 Alberta Antelope

Hey guys, after 15 years of putting in for this tag, me and my brothers finally pulled our antelope tags in southern Alberta. For those of you who’ve been successful on this hunt, what might have been some key strategies or things to help you fold this tag?

I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of driving + glassing and permission, what else helped ?

I’m considering purchasing a decoy, if anyone has a good condition used decoy in the Edmonton area for sale send me a PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:42 AM
Banned

Prescouting and permission
You first antelope should hit the ground 30 seconds after the season opens
Old 08-06-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Agreed get out early, lots of scouting and secure lots of permission, next take out loan for gas money. Respect the landowners request and enjoy one Alberta's best hunts. What zone?
Old 08-06-2022, 10:52 AM

Awesome, ya we are starting the process of permission, and we might be taking a weekend tour down there to talk with land owners in the coming weeks.
We drew in 102/118
Old 08-06-2022, 11:22 AM

Definitely one of my more enjoyable hunts have done it three times in Alberta one more on the horizon hopefully good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

102/118 is very busy
There is limited placed to stay and places for fuel etc
A trip or 2 before the season would be really helpful
Old 08-06-2022, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't bother with a decoy if you're rifle hunting.
Are you taking a trailer to stay in?
Take fuel if your staying in the area.
The Coop/ post office at Orion is still cooking good meals and you can park a trailer there, no hookups though.
Don't get discouraged after a couple days.
Most hunters tagged out or give up by Wednesday so it gets a lot quieter after that.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:21 PM

Do not bother w/ a decoy during rifle season, by mid morning opening day the goats are apt to be so spooky they'll be running at the first sign of a truck.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:27 PM

Kneepads when you are crawling are a nice to have item as well.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:23 PM

Pre-scouting is important if you want to get a lay of the land, but knocking on doors in Aug wont result in a ton of permission if conditions are dry and fire hazard is present. Most landowners will want you to call or stop in a couple days before the hunt to verify conditions and access requirements. Your time can be better spent learning the country and figuring out where you want to hunt, and then making a list of the landowners you want to see before the hunt.

Spend some time on the lease land map and you can figure out some of the bigger tracts of land. Put some miles on and you'll realize quickly how many bucks you can look over in that zone before finding the 'right' one. A lot get shot on the first day, but spending the entire week is sure a way of finding and looking at a ton of different bucks.

That zone has the ability for you to drive around all day and glass antelope from the truck or hike all day long and never see a road. Tailor the hunt to what you want out of it. Dont be in a rush, but if you find a really good buck before season, then dont be afraid to try and get it done in the first hour of opening day. Last time I hunted 102/118 we chased around a really good one at first light, and then I shot a buck a little after lunch on day 1. My buddy shot his on day 4 or 5 after a really good hunt with a ton of laughs.

Amazing part of the province and a truly awesome critter to hunt.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Pre-scouting is important if you want to get a lay of the land, but knocking on doors in Aug wont result in a ton of permission if conditions are dry and fire hazard is present. Most landowners will want you to call or stop in a couple days before the hunt to verify conditions and access requirements. Your time can be better spent learning the country and figuring out where you want to hunt, and then making a list of the landowners you want to see before the hunt.

Spend some time on the lease land map and you can figure out some of the bigger tracts of land. Put some miles on and you'll realize quickly how many bucks you can look over in that zone before finding the 'right' one. A lot get shot on the first day, but spending the entire week is sure a way of finding and looking at a ton of different bucks.

That zone has the ability for you to drive around all day and glass antelope from the truck or hike all day long and never see a road. Tailor the hunt to what you want out of it. Dont be in a rush, but if you find a really good buck before season, then dont be afraid to try and get it done in the first hour of opening day. Last time I hunted 102/118 we chased around a really good one at first light, and then I shot a buck a little after lunch on day 1. My buddy shot his on day 4 or 5 after a really good hunt with a ton of laughs.

Amazing part of the province and a truly awesome critter to hunt.
Tons of good info here.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:03 AM

Lots of good information here for sure ! Thanks guys. I’m kind of leaning towards getting out of the truck and walking for a few miles. To me that adds to the experience of the hunt. There’s nothing wrong with either style as they are both effective but we’ll see what happens when we get out there. The land also has to be somewhat rolling hills and dips to make a walk worth while, otherwise your going to be no better off than glassing from the road for miles. This should be fun either way!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:26 AM

It's dry in the South, we have had some good moisture this spring but nothing since.. Next couple weeks are forecast for above 30 and no moisture in the forecast. Be prepared to walk as the fire hazard is high already.

They are starting to herd up again and some healthy bucks around from what I have seen... Water will be key, good luck to you all.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBfx4 View Post
Lots of good information here for sure ! Thanks guys. I’m kind of leaning towards getting out of the truck and walking for a few miles. To me that adds to the experience of the hunt. There’s nothing wrong with either style as they are both effective but we’ll see what happens when we get out there. The land also has to be somewhat rolling hills and dips to make a walk worth while, otherwise your going to be no better off than glassing from the road for miles. This should be fun either way!
Throw on a pack frame and walk all day you won't regret it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBfx4 View Post
One of the biggest antelope bucks i saw this year was in a deep coulee hanging out with some mule deer about a 73" wmu 108
Old 08-09-2022, 12:09 AM

Take a range finder, it's amazing how easy it is to over-estimate distance on them, due to how small they are. Antelope are little!

I took a range finder last hunt, forgot it in the truck, then over-shot 2 really nice bucks. A ranger finder could have made the difference on both shots.

For the record I ended up with a 78"+ a bit later in the day... 35 yard shot, one even I couldn't miss.

Sometimes the darn things just run right up to you.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-09-2022, 02:05 PM

Patience. Expect lots of competition from other hunters.

Get permission, it's been tougher to get lately but can make for a better hunt as some of the land/lease holders are letting in one group rather than everyone.

Have fun. One of the best hunts in Alberta.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:39 PM

Figure out what a trophy antelope is to you. You don't want to blow 15 years of priority because you passed up some nice ones or the one you wanted got spooked by some other hunter.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the insight ! Definitely a lot of factors we need to consider for this hunt. But it will all be worth it !
Old 08-10-2022, 11:37 AM

Default Speed goats

Saw well over 100 antelope on Monday and Tuesday down south. Pretty well all the males were by themselves. Even saw quite a number of young ones, more than I’ve ever seen before and I used to live there. A woman was parked on the side of the highway videoing some antelope from no more than 60-70 yards. That’s gonna change real quick once rifle season opens. Good luck. Numbers look promising. Only saw one decent trophy mind you but this was all from my truck at highway speed. Maybe 70 inches or so
Old 08-14-2022, 10:01 AM

Be prepared to have very limited access as it's super dry. Cattle are already being moved off of lease land with the lack of water. Not too many antelope around either!
Old 08-14-2022, 11:36 AM

Thumbs up 2022 goats

Best buck ive seen this year but really havnt scouted much yet mostly due to the high heat,dry weather...my guess is 73-75"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220629_123518.jpg (13.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_123547.jpg (25.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hunted there a few years ago around Grassy Lake area. Met some very nice land owners who granted permission. Definitely recommend pre-scouting and obtaining permission before the season opens.